This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SQUAAA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a really **** first year, and I really want to go into dental school and I really hope this doesn't **** me over in the future. Also I am a Canadian student, and I haven't gotten all of my grades from this part semester yet, so far I have gotten an A+, and an A- and I am predicting a B in Calc 2, and a C- in Physics 1. I did bad in Physics because I really didn't know how to study for it. With that being said, I am planning on retaking Physics this summer.

Semester 1: B+,B-,C+, C

If you can give me any advice that would be great

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same predicament as you when I started school. My grades were very low in my first semester, and I was discouraged. I think I remember posting a thread similar to this one on this very website when it happen lol. Anyways, just find studying habits that are more effective for you. With me, I found that going to the library was much more efficient than studying in my apartment around my distracting roommates. I think I now spend more time in the library than I do in my own apartment on a weekly basis. Also, if you're struggling, don't be scared of getting help! I found a tutoring place in my town that has done wonders for my grades; some schools even have free tutoring services they provide to their students.
Just remember that this isn't the end of your journey. After finishing my first semester with 2 C's, I finished my 3rd semester with a 4.0. You can still recover from this, just work hard at it.

I second the comment about reaching out to tutoring services. I used tutors extensively in college, and I ended up becoming a tutor myself for several of the courses I did well in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine since this is only your first year. Dental schools like to see an upward trend so as long as you work hard for the next 3 years and show improvement I think you will be fine. You have a lot of time to recover!

change your study habits. You won't know what works for you until you try it.
Your grades don't look that bad. As long as you do better in the upcoming semesters, you should be fine.

I think I got an F in 8 out of 15 credits my first semester. I got like a 1.9 GPA that semester, but I got two acceptances this cycle. Just work hard to improve and you'll be alright!

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile