Bad grades on really old college transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shibboleth1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, first time posting here. Just joined and i'm excited to take advantage of this resource!

So i took classes about 16 years ago right after high school at the local community college, but i was young and stupid and entirely unfocused, as reflected by multiple F's and W's. I got nothing out of the experience, only passed a few classes and came away with a 1.24 from 72 units attempted. After that i became and EMT and then a paramedic, which i've been doing for about 10 yrs and i'm a completely different person. After deciding to become a dentist, i took classes at a different CC, and am working on my BS at a CSU getting mostly A's and B's. I have all my pre-reqs for dental school done and will get my BS in the spring, so i'm trying to get my application in now.

So i know that since i went to the first CC i'm supposed to report it on my AADSAS, even though those classes don't represent me at all. I don't really even consider that i went to college back then, but they're on my record. My question is, will all those old courses be included in my GPA, and if so, how could i possibly overcome that drag? Even straight A's wouldn't pull that up anywhere near minimum levels. I know i won't have much difficulty explaining the situation to someone if given the chance, i'm just wondering if i'll ever get that chance if those courses drag my GPA so low on paper. Any thoughts?

Edit: I should add that none of the courses from the first CC are transferrable so i won't be using them to fulfill any requirements. If they didn't want transcripts from all colleges i wouldn't even bother submitting them.

Members don't see this ad.

Do a masters. 1.24 gpa with 72 credits is irreversible damage.
(That's over halfway through a bachelors)

And they are 100% going to be calculated in.

I have had the same problem with a lackluster performance in undergrad from years ago (1999), and you are right, it will be included in your stats. Schools do look at upward trends and will take into account that you are a much better student with your recent stats. All the same, I actually worked in a line in my PS to state that I had been so motivated that I went back to school and got a certain GPA in a certain number of hours. I figure they are looking at hundreds of applications so it can't hurt to point it out to them just in case they breeze through the stats a little quickly and only look at the overall numbers.

Just keep doing as well as possible, try to get the best possible DAT score you can and apply broadly if possible.

I am very limited in where I can apply because of money and family considerations, but I have had the chance to interview at 3 schools in the past. You can do this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just realize the stuff is from 16 years ago. I think you should call up each individual school. There's a chance those grades can be forgiven since they are ancient.

If you can NOT report it and get away with it, do it. If they have followed you, as the other person, it is almost irreversible damage. I had a lackluster performance in CC as well, I transferred to University and graduated with honors, and I did a postbacc leading to a Masters (3.9GPA) in hard sciences with a thesis, including publications, and this is my 4th cycle applying.

If they are adamant on wanting them, you're in for a hellish (not in a good way) time. They will not forgive those courses because they are "ancient" and it will be INCLUDED in the GPA calculations.

PM me if you want to discuss more. Best of luck!

If you can NOT report it and get away with it, do it. If they have followed you, as the other person, it is almost irreversible damage. I had a lackluster performance in CC as well, I transferred to University and graduated with honors, and I did a postbacc leading to a Masters (3.9GPA) in hard sciences with a thesis, including publications, and this is my 4th cycle applying.

If they are adamant on wanting them, you're in for a hellish (not in a good way) time. They will not forgive those courses because they are "ancient" and it will be INCLUDED in the GPA calculations.

They are required, so they must be reported. BTW, your motivation is quite impressive!! I really hope you get it this cycle.

As for OP, you may have quite a road ahead of you. After your BS, you may need to go with an SMP. Press forward and show those adcoms you mean business. Your GPA right now is definitely a hurdle, but not a dealbreaker. With motivation, and your continued hard work, you'll get in.

There's something called the national student clearinghouse, where a school can type your info in and get a list of every school you ever attended. Leaving out a school like that is a great way to get an acceptance rescinded, considering one of the instructions is that ALL for-credit coursework must be included.

There's something called the national student clearinghouse, where a school can type your info in and get a list of every school you ever attended. Leaving out a school like that is a great way to get an acceptance rescinded, considering one of the instructions is that ALL for-credit coursework must be included.

Apparently, that website also states they can submit reports on all the schools you've ever applied to, been denied to, etc. Great invasion of privacy. Rule of thumb I was told is if the credit applies to a degree or used towards something, it has to be reported. If you take a fun course for no reason at a local college (e.g. Pottery 101), why waste money on purchasing that transcript? What are your thoughts?

Hell, a bad record on your history is forgiven after a few years lol but not school? Weird.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm not opposed to the idea of doing an SMP after my BS, especially if that will better prepare me to do well in Dental school. I need to start researching available programs, does anyone happen to know who offers SMP in California?

Apparently, that website also states they can submit reports on all the schools you've ever applied to, been denied to, etc. Great invasion of privacy. Rule of thumb I was told is if the credit applies to a degree or used towards something, it has to be reported. If you take a fun course for no reason at a local college (e.g. Pottery 101), why waste money on purchasing that transcript? What are your thoughts?

Hell, a bad record on your history is forgiven after a few years lol but not school? Weird.
I know it's not your point, but a pottery class would likely look good on a dental application. The whole dexterity thing...
;)