Bad GRE score--what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a non-traditional applicant who just took the GRE. I didn't do well. I got a 660 verbal but only a 460 math. I have no idea what happened with the math. I have been studying for two months, I took a prep class, I did 4 practice test, as well as all the practice questions from the GRE web site. I did all the homework from my prep class. On my practice tests, I was getting in the mid to upper 500's on math, so I was expecting at least that.

Now I don't know what to do. My applications are all ready to go, and my first deadlines are Dec. 1. Some of my schools state that they won't consider anyone without at least a 1200. I don't even have that. What should I do? I don't have an advisor to help me, b/c I've been out of school for 10 years.

I can re-take the test in Dec., but will I be able to make any of my deadlines? Should I just forget about applying to the schools I was going to apply to for the Dec. 1 deadlines? And with all the studying I've already done, I am doubtful if I will be able to raise my score much, if any--I felt like I really maxed out on the studying. I knew all the concepts.

I don't know what to do with myself for another year and a half if I don't end up applying/getting in anywhere this year. I have a JD and am currently volunteering to gain experience with research--but I'm married and can't afford to keep volunteering for another year and a half. I was not a psych major. I took all my pre-reqs already this year.

Please help! I am very upset and have been crying about this all night. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Pizza, that's a really hard situation - I'm so sorry to hear how upset you are.

If I can ask, to what 'tier' of schools are you planning to apply? While some programs employ 'cut-off' scores, there are many programs, particularly those that are somewhat less competitive ('less competitive' being relative a relative term here), that would still consider you. This is especially true because your verbal score is actually quite strong.

If you have the time (and the energy) to do a little digging, you may be able to find on your prospective programs' websites those schools that do or do not apply a cut-off. I would think your chances could still be good, with strong letters of recommendation and experience.

I have no idea what tier of school I'm applying to--where does one find out that info? But they're all 4's on the Insider's Guide rankings--meaning balanced programs. However, I am limited to only certain geographical areas b/c of my husband's job. So basically the schools I had already planned to apply to are it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this is a tough situation.

You could take the GRE again December 3rd, and you might have your scores to the schools in time for the December 15th deadlines, but it's definitely cutting it very close (It just took 17 days for me to receive my scores). But if you're not confident that you'll do better the second time on the math, it might be best to not rewrite.

What you CAN definitely do is contact the programs you are planning to apply to. E-mail or call the professors you're interested in (or the graduate secretaries) and ask if the 1200 they mention on their website is a hard-and-fast cut off. They should be able to tell you whether or not that rule is flexible, and then you can decide whether or not to apply to those schools. Apply to all the schools on your list that do not employ cutoffs. Also, if you have time and if they are willing, you may be able to get your letter writers to address your GRE scores in their letters, and explain why the quant score is not indicative of your ability to do well in a graduate program.

Good luck.

Tier is more of a subjective thing; the difference between places like Wisconsin-Madison vs. a less well-known program where faculty may not publish quite as often could be the difference between programs who will and will not consider GRE < 1200.

However, if you already have your schools picked out, I think it can't really hurt to apply, even if you don't know how good your chances would be. If you apply and don't get in, aside from the application fees, you are really no worse off than if you don't apply at all. In the event that you don't get in, you can then step back and re-evaluate your options form a more informed perspective. And if you do get in... hooray :)

I'd still give it a go and maybe put 'pending GRE score' or something like that. I didn't have great GRE scores, but I still got interviews at most of the places I applied. Try again (it can't hurt), and see how you do.

-t

First off, congratulations on the verbal score! Your verbal score will definitely help your application.

As to schools and cutoff scores - if a school gives a cutoff, I'm afraid it might be a waste to apply if you don't fit the criteria. (I had to cut a school off my list because I didn't meet the cutoff.)

When I applied last year, I only ran into a few schools that had strict cutoffs, and I applied to a selection of rather competitive schools in desirable locations. I'd really suggest going back over your school list and noting which ones have cutoffs and which don't. They will normally say if the cutoff is just recommended, or if it's a strict rule. Focus on those that don't, and maybe look around for other options. I understand that you are limited to your husband's location, but clinical psych programs are very competitive and require some bending.

Because you have been out of school for awhile, I think you have an argument to explain your lower math scores. You may want to talk with your recommenders about this and discuss possibly adding a sentence or two into their letter about your math scores not being reflective of your real ability. Or you may want to add that into your PS. People have different opinions about this, but your circumstances seem particularly apt to explanation of "limitations" or "problem areas."

Also, I just want to reassure you that this process isn't fun for anyone. Everyone goes through ups and downs in the application process - my boyfriend could write a book on it. Applying to law school is much different as I'm sure you're aware. Watching my boyfriends application process, I was unbelievably jealous at the seeming "ease" with which he applied and got into law schools. It's not that psych is that much more difficult, it's just the limited number of spots available. People do apply multiple times. If you don't get in this year, you can work and volunteer, and improve your application.

Can't remember where it was you were applying, but I say give it a go. One bad stat does not a bad application make. My score held me back, but I also was applying almost exclusively to top-notch research institutes, which tend to have substantially higher expectations. For the few lower-tier schools I applied to, that was fine or even above average which means you're probably within the average range at those institutions.

An 1120 isn't great, but that's vastly different from, say, a 900;) It pretty much kills your shot at say, Duke, Penn, or Yale. More balanced programs though? It hurts, but its still worth going for it. Especially given your unique experiences, it might not get weighted as heavily.

Thanks so much for all your helpful tips!

I feel like re-taking soon (in a month or so) would be best because I feel like if I wait until March or something I'll have to re-learn all the basics from scratch b/c I don't use this stuff on a daily basis. So if I re-take the test in December I'll already be starting from my current knowledge level, and not have to start at the beginning.

But.....I have a bunch of tests and papers (and final exams) coming up in the next month for my classes, so I'm concerned that this will not allow me to prepare as much as I'd want to. I've already studied a lot, but clearly from my score something is not clicking right.....I'm not sure what I need to do at this point to improve my score.

If I get the same score or go down....how will that be perceived?

I was thinking tonight maybe I should just forget about clinical psych--if I won't be able to get in b/c of the GRE then maybe I should just forget about it as a career. But the problem is I've done so much career exploration and it is the only career I'm interested in. Sometimes I think maybe I should just find a career that's easier to get into--but I love everything about clinical psych--it's just that it will be so sad for me if I can't get in. I'm already in my early 30's--the thought of wasting another year not being in the profession I want saddens me--but I guess the only thing I can do is keep applying until I get in. I just don't know what to do for work in the meantime. I am currently volunteering on a research study but I need to earn money too.

Thanks so much for all your helpful tips!

I feel like re-taking soon (in a month or so) would be best because I feel like if I wait until March or something I'll have to re-learn all the basics from scratch b/c I don't use this stuff on a daily basis. So if I re-take the test in December I'll already be starting from my current knowledge level, and not have to start at the beginning.

But.....I have a bunch of tests and papers (and final exams) coming up in the next month for my classes, so I'm concerned that this will not allow me to prepare as much as I'd want to. I've already studied a lot, but clearly from my score something is not clicking right.....I'm not sure what I need to do at this point to improve my score.

If I get the same score or go down....how will that be perceived?

I was thinking tonight maybe I should just forget about clinical psych--if I won't be able to get in b/c of the GRE then maybe I should just forget about it as a career. But the problem is I've done so much career exploration and it is the only career I'm interested in. Sometimes I think maybe I should just find a career that's easier to get into--but I love everything about clinical psych--it's just that it will be so sad for me if I can't get in. I'm already in my early 30's--the thought of wasting another year not being in the profession I want saddens me--but I guess the only thing I can do is keep applying until I get in. I just don't know what to do for work in the meantime. I am currently volunteering on a research study but I need to earn money too.

I went through a similar situation last year. My quant scores were below the 50th percentile. My GPA & Verbal was great, writing good, LOR's great, and I had a decent amount of research experience. I got 4 interviews, 2 (PsyD) acceptances and 2 (PhD) first alternate waitlists. You can be competitive with weak GREs if you have the right combination of other things AND you apply to schools with a good match.

I was right where you are: older student, and waiting another year was not an option. Although PhD was what I really wanted, I went ahead and accepted a PsyD program that wound up being a beautiful fit for me. I had applied there as a "backup" but after I interviewed there I realized how perfect it was for me. They are clincial first, of course, but very focused on building research skills in their students. Even though I knew this going in I am still (pleasantly) suprised at the amount of emphasis put on research during our first year. Wanting to stay with research is why I mainly applied to PhD's so it worked out great for me.

My advice would be to rethink your list and maybe add/subtract some schools, retake the GREs, and apply anyway!

Good luck! :luck:

i know it sound like the end of the world, but really it's not. if i were you i'd retake the test, then if the scores are somewhat better (lets say over 500 on the quantitative), you can email them to the professors you've been in touch with, saying that the official scores are on their way. i know that some schools have a december deadline but only start looking at the applications after a month or so....

also, about studying - i wouldn't go crazy this time. study when you have time, and trust that latent learning - it does seem to work, and the second time is a charm...
good luck!

The funny thing about the GRE's is that anyone who knows anything about psychometrics knows that test scores are not good predictors of academic success: GPA is much better. Some schools only use your GRE scores if your GPA seems low. In that case, when a student has a low GPA, the GRE can redeem him/her. That being said, a lot of schools (for whatever reason) really value the GRE's. It depends on where you apply, but you can always email the school and see what their priorities are. Also, APA online has rankings for most institutions of how they prioritize applicant traits.

Don't count yourself out yet. Definitely re-take the GRE but you don't have to give up on clinical psych just because of the GRE...

i know it sound like the end of the world, but really it's not. if i were you i'd retake the test, then if the scores are somewhat better (lets say over 500 on the quantitative), you can email them to the professors you've been in touch with, saying that the official scores are on their way. i know that some schools have a december deadline but only start looking at the applications after a month or so....

also, about studying - i wouldn't go crazy this time. study when you have time, and trust that latent learning - it does seem to work, and the second time is a charm...
good luck!

I agree with this. I know the websites make the deadlines look really hard and fast, but, in my experience, most schools with December 1 deadlines don't really get their acts together until January. Retake the test, and then see if you can get on the phone with a nice admissions secretary who will slip it in your file (and email your potential advisors too). It may not work at all of the schools, but it will work with a lot of them.

There's a very good chance your score will go up the second time - the GRE has a lot to do with luck, in my opinion. And if you take it again and your scores don't go up, well, no one ever has to know. Just don't send the scores (and it you have to apply again next year, then you'll take it again and get an even better score!).

Please don't give up on clinical psych because of the stupid GRE. I was in the same place as you a year ago (couldn't get my quant score up), and I'm so glad I didn't give up! Focus on what you need to get done it the next month and a half and don't let your mind wander into "I should just give up" territory. It's irrational thinking - you have no idea what will happen in the next few months and, if you give up, you never will know!

Good luck! We'll be thinking about you!