Minimum GRE Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epak333

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and will have extensive research and clinical experience by the time I apply to grad school this year. For someone like me, what would be the minimum GRE score I could get that would get me accepted? I'm set to take it in August and have been studying, I am just not the best standardized test taker lol. I know it depends on program too---most of mine don't even require it, like 4 out of 17 do---but I'm assuming GPA and research/pubs are weighed heavier than GRE scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Many places don't even require the GRE anymore, so it might be moot for you to even take it. For those that do, this table has the average scores by intended graduate major including for the APA designated practice areas (clinical, counseling, school), which I'm sure are of interest to you. If you cross-reference this with the average scores of the admitted cohorts for your target program, you should be able to get a rough estimate of what percentile rank to shoot for.

Many places don't even require the GRE anymore, so it might be moot for you to even take it. For those that do, this table has the average scores by intended graduate major including for the APA designated practice areas (clinical, counseling, school), which I'm sure are of interest to you. If you cross-reference this with the average scores of the admitted cohorts for your target program, you should be able to get a rough estimate of what percentile rank to shoot for.
Thank you so much! I just looked at my program list and actually only 2 require the GRE, one of which is a partially funded PsyD program and the other which is unfunded. Thinking I might just not take it and take those two off my list anyways. Doesn't feel worth it to spend $200 to take the test for two schools.

Reactions: 1 users