1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Bad idea: med school with the MINIMUM ugrad prereqs?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Hedwig, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm planning on starting medical school with only the minimum premed requirements: bio, orgo, general chem, physics. Will this put me at a severe disadvantage in medical school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good question! I am wondering the same thing.

4. migraineboy

migraineboy Member
    7+ Year Member

I am sure that both of you will be fine. Having anatomy, biochem. and/or physiology during undergrad will make those classes a bit easier during med school, but for the most part everyone starts at square one on the first day. Don't lose sleep over it. Best of luck!

5. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Of course anything beyond that will not hurt, but if you honestly needed anything beyond the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS, they would not be able to call them minimum requirements. I mean, they would have to add more to the minimum requirements if the present minimum were not sufficient, right?

6. Sweaty Paul

Sweaty Paul Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hedwig and titan,

No. You don't need anything else. The only thing extra classes might get you is some familiarity with the terminology that diff classes use. I took biochem b/4 getting to med school. After two weeks in our first quarter we had covered all of the info I learned in a semester and then some.

My advice to you is to enjoy your time off from here on. Travel, sleep, relax, read things not pertaining to med., because once you start, you really never get a break. So enjoy your time off. Some would say take anatomy, however, undergrad anatomy only gives you names of muscles arts, nerves, veins, origins and insertions, and in med. school you need to know those, but, more importantly you have to know how they all relate to one another and their associations. It is an entirely diff way to think about the subject so if you really want to do something look at a Netter Atlas and learn some names, but, I can't emphasize this enough...HAVE FUN WHILE YOU CAN.

any other questions let me know.

Sweaty Paul MS-II
    KCOM

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hedwig

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you put in the time and effort into whatever you're studying.

I hear PTs breeze through gross anatomy. Rightly so...they have had enough of it already.

Not to worry. There will be plenty of people around to form study groups.

Where are you going next year anyway?

JPH
    PCOM Class of 2006