Bad MSPE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, applying this year. Dropped down my rank list due to a bad MSPE, specifically professionalism. Was wondering if there was a way to know which programs require the MSPE and which do not, as I would rather not submit it if I do not have to.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I have a “bad” habit of not faking interest in stuff such as OB or Peds, particularly when having to do random scut work for no reason, and as a result had a pretty mediocre MSPE although it didn’t have any professionalism issues. On the other hand I did realize this wasn’t doing me any favors so I turned it around in residency and had great LORs as a result. Did you get whatever issue you had corrected?

I’m pretty sure all programs required it for Heme/Onc and I imagine GI is the same. I will say that of the 13 interviews I had, only a single interviewer from a single program EVER asked “hey what’s up with your awful MSPE and then glowing residency letters?” Not to say others didn’t read it but I ended up matching pretty well.

I have a “bad” habit of not faking interest in stuff such as OB or Peds, particularly when having to do random scut work for no reason, and as a result had a pretty mediocre MSPE although it didn’t have any professionalism issues. On the other hand I did realize this wasn’t doing me any favors so I turned it around in residency and had great LORs as a result. Did you get whatever issue you had corrected?

I’m pretty sure all programs required it for Heme/Onc and I imagine GI is the same. I will say that of the 13 interviews I had, only a single interviewer from a single program EVER asked “hey what’s up with your awful MSPE and then glowing residency letters?” Not to say others didn’t read it but I ended up matching pretty well.

Yeah exactly the same I couldn’t bring myself to be excited for neurology and FM was my hell but I have a much better relationship with my residency program.