Bad Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimwipe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to studentdoc and was looking for some feedback.

I've worked in some great labs before but most recently I had a negative paid research experience, where I worked for a little more than a year.

It was at a laboratory at a research university in an academic setting. The PI was really horrible. He is passive aggressive and when people leave, they usually end things badly with the PI and he sabotages their job searches by providing a bad letter or reference. PI also has a bad habit of bad mouthing members behind their back to others in the same lab... which I found quite disconcerting, immature, and puzzling.

Trying to "talk" things over with him has been useless since there has been other people (more senior) who've tried to work out their problems in the lab and end up leaving in worse terms and without a job reference. One postdoc who left has not been able to get another position. (when he was called, he provided a very negative reference.) oh and he also pretty much hates me and has been verbally abusive to me throughout the year. Though the work I've done will be going towards a paper.

I'm 90% premed and I can get strong letters from my other research advisors. So, 1. Is his letter necessary?
2. even if I end up going into research or even a Md/Phd, do I need to worry about whether this PI may sabotage my career, as he has done to others in the past? I actually like this field of research and quite enjoyed my project despite of all this.
3. Is there anything I can do? There has been complaints made about him in the past by more senior employees but there has been no change. And talking to HR basically meant burning bridges lol.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. No, I wouldn't even consider asking him for a letter.
2. I wouldn't stress about this. When you fill out your AMCAS, you can always list someone else under the experience contact info (like a lab manager, grad student, etc.) who knew you well in the lab. Your PI wouldn't know what schools to contact to sabotage you and he'd be out of the loop entirely if you don't list his name as a reference.
3. I wouldn't do this before you apply as it would only escalate the situation.

One important thing to consider is if you have enough research experience elsewhere to convince MD/PhD programs that you're accomplished enough to handle the research side of things. A year's commitment to this PI isn't much, but I just want to make sure you have other things to talk about and brush this off as a "growing" experience.

Last edited:
1. His letter is only necessary if you use this research experience as a cornerstone of your application
2. Dont worry about that, focus on the immediate step
3. You can change labs. I would not continue in this lab (if you are still in it).

Local Native and Dr Love,

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking along the same lines.

I have some three years of research experience (not counting a summer research internship), only one year of which is with my current PI, so I think I can get my other research advisor to support me if I do an Md/Phd.

I was just appalled by how manipulative and micromanaging this guy is.

Well, thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user