Bad resume' for P.A. programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave W.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello first I think this is a really interesting forum and I hope to post more as the years to come approach. Here is my first question.

I do not have a standard background to get into a P.A. program and I am wondering if this is going to hurt me. Here's the short version of my background.

I am in the Navy, I am active duty and enlisted. I joined the Navy as an aircraft mechanic, I worked on F-18 hornets for six years, I did very well in that community, and basically I was advanced as fast as possible, and eventually given a once in a military career go anywhere do anything you want choice for orders. I am now a Navy survival/ instructor, I have been so for a little less than two years, and for a year and a half of that, I have been an EMT. The Navy sends certain instructors to EMT school because we tend to have a high number of injuries/near drownings with our students. I've found that I really enjoy the medical field and with certain changes going on in the Navy I will be separating at my nine year mark in the Navy.
I will complete my bachelors degree this coming June (2006) but again it is nowhere near the medical field. My bachelors is From Embry-Riddle University with a major in Proffessional Aeronautics, and dual minors, aviation safety, and management. My GPA is pretty good, currently about a 3.6 and about where I would expect it to be upon my graduation.
After I graduate I plan on taking anatomy and physiology classes at the local community college and applying to several P.A. programs.
I have met people in the medical fields with all types of backgrounds, what are the odds that my military/aviation background will hurt me in the application process? I really have less than two years experience as an EMT, but I enjoy it, and I'm ready for a change, I'm just a little nervous that I may be chasing something that is not possible for me.

Any input is greatly apprciated.

Respectfully,

Dave Wilson

Members don't see this ad.

with that background you will certainly get in. as a military medic you are the poster child for the pa profession. your gpa is stellar as well so no problems there. I work with a former air force survival instructor who is the best pa I know.
a few references:
www.aapa.org for general info
www.physicianassistant.net for a pa specific forum
www.appap.org for links to optional pa residencies.
best of luck. you will do fine.

I agree with E totally. PA program is designed for applicants like yourself. when you are almost ready to apply---let us know.

not to plug anther site but E listed a PA site that can help ypou