1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Bad resume' for P.A. programs?

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by Dave W., Dec 10, 2005.

1. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Hello first I think this is a really interesting forum and I hope to post more as the years to come approach. Here is my first question.

I do not have a standard background to get into a P.A. program and I am wondering if this is going to hurt me. Here's the short version of my background.

I am in the Navy, I am active duty and enlisted. I joined the Navy as an aircraft mechanic, I worked on F-18 hornets for six years, I did very well in that community, and basically I was advanced as fast as possible, and eventually given a once in a military career go anywhere do anything you want choice for orders. I am now a Navy survival/ instructor, I have been so for a little less than two years, and for a year and a half of that, I have been an EMT. The Navy sends certain instructors to EMT school because we tend to have a high number of injuries/near drownings with our students. I've found that I really enjoy the medical field and with certain changes going on in the Navy I will be separating at my nine year mark in the Navy.
    I will complete my bachelors degree this coming June (2006) but again it is nowhere near the medical field. My bachelors is From Embry-Riddle University with a major in Proffessional Aeronautics, and dual minors, aviation safety, and management. My GPA is pretty good, currently about a 3.6 and about where I would expect it to be upon my graduation.
    After I graduate I plan on taking anatomy and physiology classes at the local community college and applying to several P.A. programs.
    I have met people in the medical fields with all types of backgrounds, what are the odds that my military/aviation background will hurt me in the application process? I really have less than two years experience as an EMT, but I enjoy it, and I'm ready for a change, I'm just a little nervous that I may be chasing something that is not possible for me.

Any input is greatly apprciated.

Respectfully,

Dave Wilson

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    with that background you will certainly get in. as a military medic you are the poster child for the pa profession. your gpa is stellar as well so no problems there. I work with a former air force survival instructor who is the best pa I know.
    a few references:
    www.aapa.org for general info
    www.physicianassistant.net for a pa specific forum
    www.appap.org for links to optional pa residencies.
    best of luck. you will do fine.

4. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with E totally. PA program is designed for applicants like yourself. when you are almost ready to apply---let us know.

not to plug anther site but E listed a PA site that can help ypou