Bad Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here is the story: my first 3 semesters of college I was cocky and tried to take too many hours. I overloaded myself while working 40 hours a week and my GPA suffered tremendously. After this semester my GPAs will be as follows: AMCAS cGPA 2.6 sGPA 2.29, AACOMAS cGPA 2.8, sGPA 2.6. I have had to work my whole college career no less than 30 hours a week since I worked full time. I have a strong upward trend and expect to attain a 4.0 this semester. This semester I am taking Organic Chemistry 1, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, and Biology of Aging. I recently quit one of my jobs and I am only working about 8 hours a week now and I will be able to get a 4.0 this semester. I hope that I can begin to show that I can handle a medical school curriculum. My family is economically disadvantaged because we have lived in poverty since I was born. Family of 8. Not exactly the best environment. I have strong EC's. I was selected to participate in a competitive internship at Dallas Children's Medical Center. Out of over 100 applicants 13 people were accepted and I was one of them. I think it was my personal statement that got me in. I believe I can score strongly on the MCAT. I just need to study and hope to do well. The highest I have scored on a practice so far is a 40. Could be a fluke, but I hope to do pretty well. I will take the MCAT in June. I don't know if I should apply this semester because it seems like it would almost be a waste of money. I will probably end up taking the DO route because of their "academic forgiveness" policy. I might also need to do an SMP to prove I can handle medical school curriculum. I would love any advice. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also doing astronomy research for an astrophysicist on campus. I'm well rounded except for the GPA. It's unfortunate. Also, I am the first in my family to attend college. Since I have attended, my mother has gone back, and 3 of my brothers. 5 of us in college right now. My sister has had 3 heart transplants and a kidney transplant. All of this starting when she was 2. So we have been lived in the medical environment for a very long. We are very familiar with the environment. I've done many charity events, and I have been with Big Brothers Big Sisters for a year. With my internship, I have had over 200 hours of shadowing time. Including witnessing first hand about 5 heart surgeries, including a heart transplant. This was last summer. My family has been forced into poverty due to the cost of my sisters medicines. If my parents make too much, they have to start paying for the medicine, so they have to make sure not to make over $30,000 a year or they will have to pay for her medicines. About 8K a month. I have had to work to help contribute and my studies (in the beginning) took a hit. I'm sorry for all of the information, I just want an accurate diagnosis. All I want is an interview. What should I do?

Tough to say. But you should start using paragraphs.

Applying with a low GPA/high MCAT is a high-risk proposition. Interview is unlikely with a sub-3.0 and high MCAT. You got to do the best you can the whole way out, and then do self check then.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply now, I don't think its possible to get in with a sub 2.8 GPA. Get 4.0's from now on, and apply after you graduate. Your only other option is to do a post-bac.

Are you a junior now? So that would mean you have three semesters of "strong upward trend?" I think another year of very strong academic performance and retakes to support a high MCAT score before you'll be taken seriously by most DO school adcomms. But there are some schools that would consider an application with a cGPA as low as 2.5. A few more will look at 2.75, and most will consider a 3.0 AACOMAS cGPA.

You might also look into TCOM's program for those with low GPAs. I'm not sure what their minimum requirements are. But people who get in are highly successful at getting an acceptance in Texas med schools.

You do know that TCOM doesn't use grade forgiveness? It's the only DO school that doesn't use the AACOMAS application service.

What would be my best route for going MD? I know there is always hope, but what would it take?

You have three choices for an M.D.:
- Go to one of the Carrib. big four; although you'd probably be rejected from St. George with these numbers (GPA is too low).
- Start in an another career and take undergrad courses to boost your GPA above a 3.0 and combine this with a strong MCAT.
- Do a post-bac program officially or unofficially.

In your shoes, I'd strongly consider option 3. Especially if classes are fairly cheap in-state where you live.

What would be my best route for going MD? I know there is always hope, but what would it take?

I live in Texas and I have looked into the post-bacc program at TCOM. Would the GPA I attain from that program be calculated into my current undergrad GPA?

You are luck being from Texas. Like others, I would wait to apply and try to boost your undergrad as much as possible before you graduate. The post-bac program at TCOM is very good. I know a few people that were successful applicants after doing it, the problem is it won't really change your undergrad GPA performance.

If you do score a 36+ on the MCAT, and get your GPA up to about a 3.0, I think you would have success in Texas.

As long as the courses are at the undergraduate level they will factor into your GPA. You need to bring your GPA to at least 3.0 and score in the 30s on the MCAT to have a decent shot.

I live in Texas and I have looked into the post-bacc program at TCOM. Would the GPA I attain from that program be calculated into my current undergrad GPA?