bad start ns chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcus_aurelius

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a really bad start in med school....failed three courses the first two years, class rank was probably bottom 10 percent.

i got a 245/99 on step 1 and am yet to take step 2. i have honors in medicine, surgery, psychiatry and am hoping to get a publication before applying to residency.

i've always been interested in neurosurgery and was wondering that, provided i do well on step 2, is there any chance to match. i'd probably be below avg in class rank but above avg in step scores and hopefully have a pub under my belt by then.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It somes entirely realistic that you would have a chance at matching neurosurgery. You should apply if interested. Basic science grades are not a major factor but they play a part. Your high step 1 score should remove doubt that you have not learned your basic sciences. If there is a statement regarding your failing classes in your dean's letter though, this may hurt you.

There has been an increase in the match rate in neurosurgery likely due to an increase in the total number of available positions. The number of positions is expected to increase more in the coming years.

Continue to do well in 3rd year. Step 2 is not a requirement but perhaps in your case you should take it early if you feel that you can do very well on it. It will only enhance your application, but you will have to take it very early to have your scores back in time for September application submission (unlike the NRMP match once your application is submitted it is complete and no additional items can be added later unless you send them to programs individually).

Although a publication is not necessary it is very helpful. Having some research experience in your background is the norm so your application may look deficient without it.

Apply to a wide range of programs and you should get many interviews.

marcus_aurelius said:
Hey guys,

I had a really bad start in med school....failed three courses the first two years, class rank was probably bottom 10 percent.

i got a 245/99 on step 1 and am yet to take step 2. i have honors in medicine, surgery, psychiatry and am hoping to get a publication before applying to residency.

i've always been interested in neurosurgery and was wondering that, provided i do well on step 2, is there any chance to match. i'd probably be below avg in class rank but above avg in step scores and hopefully have a pub under my belt by then.

thanks.

Go for it.
Get good letters.
Know someone who spent 3 years in preclinicals who matched NS.