Bad step 3 CCS experience - advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anUt88

Reaction score
Hello all,

Internal Med PGY-2 here. I just took step 3. I feel like overall Day 1 went okay, not too difficult based on what my coworkers had described and also, pretty fair stats questions. Drove out of the test center thinking "I can do this".

Day 2- WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY. Qs were more challenging and I was probably marking about 10 questions in each block, at the end of the Q blocks I was so frustrated about how ridiculous some of these questions were. I was looking forward to the CCS to redeem myself. CCS begins and the software is lagging behind about 4sec in every single click I made, and to top it off they start with the weirdest case ever that set the mood for the remainder of the CCS and killed my hopes to recover from the MCQs part. It would take me up to 12 minutes on the long cases to even get through ordering the initial labs/imaging/tx. I came out of the room to ask for help and they restarted the computer but didn't really help. My 2 minute screen was pretty much worthless as time would run out just by adding 2-3 orders. Overall, I feel good about 7 cases, feel okay about 1 case, I missed 2 really simple diagnosis. The other 3 cases I don't even remember what they were or how I feel about them. I walked out of there almost throwing up.

FF to today, the testing center sent USMLE an email reporting my technical difficulties. I also sent an email explaining how long the screen was taking to load with every click. They already gave me a case number and said they will revise the situation. Im not sure what they will reply but if they offer me to retake this test, should I consider it? At first it was a no brainer, but as days go by, I really don't want to deal with continuing studying and going through the whole thing all over again.

Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Internal Med PGY-2 here. I just took step 3 last week. I feel like overall Day 1 went okay, not too difficult based on what my coworkers had described and also, pretty fair stats questions. Drove out of the test center thinking "I can do this".

Day 2- WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY. Qs were more challenging and I was probably marking about 10 questions in each block, at the end of the Q blocks I was so frustrated about how ridiculous some of these questions were. I was looking forward to the CCS to redeem myself. CCS begins and the software is lagging behind about 4sec in every single click I made, and to top it off they start with the weirdest case ever that set the mood for the remainder of the CCS and killed my hopes to recover from the MCQs part. It would take me up to 12 minutes on the long cases to even get through ordering the initial labs/imaging/tx. I came out of the room to ask for help and they restarted the computer but didn't really help. My 2 minute screen was pretty much worthless as time would run out just by adding 2-3 orders. Overall, I feel good about 7 cases, feel okay about 1 case, I missed 2 really simple diagnosis (CHF and Hyperaldosteronism) but even then the Hyperladosteronism one ended early when I desperately replaced the potassium (weird). The other 3 cases I don't even remember what they were or how I feel about them. I walked out of there almost throwing up.

FF to today, the testing center sent USMLE an email reporting my technical difficulties. I also sent an email explaining how long the screen was taking to load with every click. They already gave me a case number and said they will revise the situation. Im not sure what they will reply but if they offer me to retake this test, should I consider it? At first it was a no brainer, but as days go by, I really don't want to deal with continuing studying and going through the whole thing all over again.

Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!!!
Hey man, I just wanted to thank you for posting this, because it would be nearly identical to a post that I would make about the exam. I thought part 1 was actually not bad and very fair. Part 2 mcq were WAY harder and CCS of course screwed me over because I forgot the name of certain treatments. It happens to a lot of people and I see everywhere the test is curved very nicely so that's reassuring at least!
As far as the retaking it again, personally I wouldn't because of the stress and headache and studying involved like you mentioned, but it is up to you. Even for IM things like LOR and research are way more important than step and people with low step 3s frequently match the best fellowships, you can see for yourself online

Hey man, I just wanted to thank you for posting this, because it would be nearly identical to a post that I would make about the exam. I thought part 1 was actually not bad and very fair. Part 2 mcq were WAY harder and CCS of course screwed me over because I forgot the name of certain treatments. It happens to a lot of people and I see everywhere the test is curved very nicely so that's reassuring at least!
As far as the retaking it again, personally I wouldn't because of the stress and headache and studying involved like you mentioned, but it is up to you. Even for IM things like LOR and research are way more important than step and people with low step 3s frequently match the best fellowships, you can see for yourself online
Thanks for the advice! So far I haven't heard back from them but every day I lean more towards just have them grade me on it and not re-take it. Best of luck to you

I vividly remember when I was taking my MCAT, computer restarted 5 times and I was so pissed. It ruined everything for me and not a good experience. What would have you done differently to ensure smoother "experience". Perhaps, anticipate such issues just to "prime" your brain so that when it actually happens, you will be in better position? Just curious.

I do wish it works for you because this is just annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)