Bad student hosting experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a bad experience staying with a student host? I've stayed with four and liked all of them, but I was wondering if anyone had had any issues.

My worst problem was a host who was really busy studying for an exam and didn't have time to talk to me. At that same interview, I also slept on a hard wood floor in a sleeping bag, which was really uncomfortable. These are really minor issues, though, so I feel pretty fortunate.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had two hosts so far who were too busy studying to really chat, I didn't mind, I just raided their bookshelves instead :) I guess it all balances out tho, another host took me to an M1 party til about 1am the night before my interview

One host had a kinda bad pullout couch bed that left my back f'd, another had a short couch that I couldn't stretch all the way out on, so I went to my interview with shooting sciatica pain..

but hey, beggers can't be choosers, I'd still do it over again rather than spend a small fortune on hotels ;)

it's important to know that these are students, and they don't live at days inn with a maid servicing their rooms every morning. they're (most likely) busier than u've ever been. yes they agree to host u, but i don't think that means they have to change their life just cuz you're visiting. wouldn't you want to witness the "real life" of a student anyway? suck it up.

edit: fixed some typo's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had two student hosts on the interview trail, both of which were pleasant. The first one was at Tulane last year, I slept in his kids bedroom (His wife and daughter were out of town). Luckily it was a fairly large bed. The second one was at Drexel this year. That guy had a pretty comfy couch. A couch might not be as good as a bed but it's definitely better than spending money for a hotel.

One of the guys I interviewed with at Tulane said he had a really bad student host. After they met the host dumped the interviewee off at his apartment while he spent the rest of the night in the library studying. The interviewee had to spend the rest of the evening with the guy's mother and sister who he claims were not very hospitable to him. He disliked it so much he reported it to the Student host program.

is it usually pretty quiet? i've been wary of staying with student hosts, but i'm scheduled to stay with one next week. i always have doubts though and am thinking of booking a hotel instead.

badlydrawnvik said:
is it usually pretty quiet? i've been wary of staying with student hosts, but i'm scheduled to stay with one next week. i always have doubts though and am thinking of booking a hotel instead.
no no! it's not always quiet. it's great because you have a captive audience to ask annoying questions to, and get a feel for how happy the students really are. I wouldn't trade it for a hotel room ever!

i stayed with a host who spent the last two hours of her night talking to her long distance boyfriend...

"i love you...no i love you more...no honey i love you so much...ok ...good night...bye....i love you...no i love you more"

at least it helped me sleep out of boredom :sleep: