Bad Theme for Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwarfplanet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wise to talk about anything having to do with my dealing with anxiety in my personal statement? The current version I have written is my favorite, but it hinges on how I always thought I wanted to be a physician until I didn’t because my anxiety became so severe I couldn’t imagine taking on what seemed to be the insurmountable challenge that was medical school. Of course, I go on to explain how I managed to work past this and get out of my comfort zone with meaningful experiences, and now here we are, applying, and I can’t imagine pursuing any other career path.

I don’t want it to seem like I’m using my anxiety disorder for sympathy points or whatever you want to call it. When I look back, I genuinely feel proud of how I was able to overcome many of my fears and learn to enjoy challenges. I also feel my experience has granted me more perspective and empathy for others. I actually don’t even directly say I have an anxiety disorder in my PS, but one could imply.

tldr; Could alluding to my anxiety disorder in my PS at all work against me? Is the safe bet to just focus on something else altogether?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it wise to talk about anything having to do with my dealing with anxiety in my personal statement? The current version I have written is my favorite, but it hinges on how I always thought I wanted to be a physician until I didn’t because my anxiety became so severe I couldn’t imagine taking on what seemed to be the insurmountable challenge that was medical school. Of course, I go on to explain how I managed to work past this and get out of my comfort zone with meaningful experiences, and now here we are, applying, and I can’t imagine pursuing any other career path.

I don’t want it to seem like I’m using my anxiety disorder for sympathy points or whatever you want to call it. When I look back, I genuinely feel proud of how I was able to overcome many of my fears and learn to enjoy challenges. I also feel my experience has granted me more perspective and empathy for others. I actually don’t even directly say I have an anxiety disorder in my PS, but one could imply.

tldr; Could alluding to my anxiety disorder in my PS at all work against me? Is the safe bet to just focus on something else altogether?
Yes, I would focus on something entirely different.

You should never write anything in the entirety of your application that A) Shines you in a poor light B) Shines medicine or a physician in a poor light or C) Something you are unable to comfortably talk about in an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
I disagree with the poster above. The key to any personal statement is that it: i) comes from the heart, so it comes across as genuine; and ii) demonstrates that you are empathetic and have a passion to serve patients. I can envision an essay about overcoming anxiety as an excellent platform for showing off these characteristics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd avoid making it a prominent part of your PS. Lots of applicants write challenge essays and PS's that deal with their anxiety, so many that it's become a bit of a cliché. Furthermore, the PS is your chance to tell us why you chose medicine and why we should choose you, and "I've got severe anxiety" isn't a compelling reason to become a physician.

For all others who will read this post, I have one more thing to say: people who write "my engineering background will make me unique in medicine!" are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with @HomeSkool. This could be a potentially good topic for a challenge/adversity essay but not for the PS. The PS is about why you want to go to medical school. It begins and ends with that.

Reactions: 4 users
tldr; Could alluding to my anxiety disorder in my PS at all work against me?

Agree with @Lucca that this would be better reserved for a carefully worded challenge/adversity essay. Building a personal statement around your anxiety runs two serious risks:

1. Framing your journey to medicine around overcoming an obstacle could come off as really self-centered, even by personal statement standards.
2. A LOT of mental health issues that applicants had "worked past" end up resurfacing in medical school. While anxiety disorders are not particularly uncommon, putting this on display could bias the reader (consciously or unconsciously) against you.

I agree with @HomeSkool. This could be a potentially good topic for a challenge/adversity essay but not for the PS. The PS is about why you want to go to medical school. It begins and ends with that.

My goal was to write a "why medicine" essay and talk about that process as a sort of evolution, so I do discuss several aspects that contributed to that process in terms of why I want to do this. However, the truth is that that process did include the doubt that came along with my anxiety at a point, though I've largely learned to manage that.

Even so, now that I've read all the replies I think I run the risk of it hurting me more than helping, and I would do better to take that aspect out and rework the essay, so thank you for your input!

My goal was to write a "why medicine" essay and talk about that process as a sort of evolution, so I do discuss several aspects that contributed to that process in terms of why I want to do this. However, the truth is that that process did include the doubt that came along with my anxiety at a point, though I've largely learned to manage that.

Even so, now that I've read all the replies I think I run the risk of it hurting me more than helping, and I would do better to take that aspect out and rework the essay, so thank you for your input!

It’s best to leave the doubts out of this particular essay.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd avoid making it a prominent part of your PS. Lots of applicants write challenge essays and PS's that deal with their anxiety, so many that it's become a bit of a cliché. Furthermore, the PS is your chance to tell us why you chose medicine and why we should choose you, and "I've got severe anxiety" isn't a compelling reason to become a physician.

For all others who will read this post, I have one more thing to say: people who write "my engineering background will make me unique in medicine!" are a dime a dozen.

Ugh, okay, the last thing I want to be is a cliche. That alone is enough to make me scrap it.

Last edited:
Agree with @Lucca that this would be better reserved for a carefully worded challenge/adversity essay. Building a personal statement around your anxiety runs two serious risks:

1. Framing your journey to medicine around overcoming an obstacle could come off as really self-centered, even by personal statement standards.
2. A LOT of mental health issues that applicants had "worked past" end up resurfacing in medical school. While anxiety disorders are not particularly uncommon, putting this on display could bias the reader (consciously or unconsciously) against you.

I didn’t even consider how it may come off as self-centered, yikes. With that in mind I want to stay faaaar away... I know I can talk about that journey without touching upon anxiety at all and now I think that’s the way to go.

On another note, the “resurfacing” issue is something I’ve thought a lot about, and I know many who had to deal with it in medical school. Their stories were inspiring to someone like me but I can understand why it could certainly bias someone against you. Definitely better to put myself in the best spot and just avoid that possible bias altogether.

Thank you for your input!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I would focus on something entirely different.

You should never write anything in the entirety of your application that A) Shines you in a poor light B) Shines medicine or a physician in a poor light or C) Something you are unable to comfortably talk about in an interview.

I’m comfortable talking about it, but now I definitely think I shouldn’t. This thread has convinced me that it would more likely end up being a bad move than a good one.

Let us assume that anxiety is a disorder. You were cured of this disorder or, at the very least, have your symptoms managed to the point that you can function well. If you substituted dust allergies or acne or back pain for the word anxiety, would you think it a good topic for an essay on "why medicine?".

Just my 2 cents, coming from an applicant who no one told not to talk about anxiety in their challenge essays: I wish I hadn't. Don't get me wrong, I had a really great cycle and a strong app, and have gotten 2 acceptances so far, waiting on 4 more decisions. Those 2 acceptances also happened to be from schools where I submitted some sort of essay about my (childhood!) anxiety and talked about it during my interview.

However, I noticed there was a bias in favor of the ~14 apps I submitted with no mention of anxiety (4 interviews), versus those ~14 apps where I mentioned anxiety (2 interviews). I enjoyed those 4 interviews much more because I didn't feel like I had to be "on the defensive" and "convince" my interviewer that I was still a good candidate despite this handicap I highlighted on my app. I also only got bites from the T20 schools in the "anxiety-free" apps, fwiw.

In short, talking about anxiety in a challenge essay for sure won't ruin your chances, but it'll make your interview day into more of a sales pitch than it should be. I wish I had talked about something else I overcame! Best of luck to you, and, from one future doctor with a history of anxiety to another, don't be nervous ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Save that for your secondaries.

PS is for "who am I?" and "Why Medicine?"

A long stretch of academic strength can allay admissions committee member's fears about the effects of mental health issues on a candidate.

We also like seeing evidence of coping skills and resiliency
That may be true. But there are other ways to showcase resiliency that are perceived better than overcoming anxiety. Saying you have trouble with anxiety is highlighting a negative quality. There's no reason for it.

That may be true. But there are other ways to showcase resiliency that are perceived better than overcoming anxiety. Saying you have trouble with anxiety is highlighting a negative quality. There's no reason for it.
Well, there's a difference between saying "I have trouble with anxiety," and saying "I used to have anxiety but got over it and my academic record shows it."

Otherwise, I also agree with the comments above that simply stating "I want to go to medicine because I have anxiety issues" is no more different than saying you have acne, irritable bowel, asthma.. Etc"

Well, there's a difference between saying "I have trouble with anxiety," and saying "I used to have anxiety but got over it and my academic record shows it."

Fully agree and should have added to my post above-- a big reason why I think my anxiety essays were admission-worthy was because they were about childhood, did not affect my grades at all, and were supported by a long record of public speaking and other types of "proof" of my progress

Just my 2 cents, coming from an applicant who no one told not to talk about anxiety in their challenge essays: I wish I hadn't. Don't get me wrong, I had a really great cycle and a strong app, and have gotten 2 acceptances so far, waiting on 4 more decisions. Those 2 acceptances also happened to be from schools where I submitted some sort of essay about my (childhood!) anxiety and talked about it during my interview.

However, I noticed there was a bias in favor of the ~14 apps I submitted with no mention of anxiety (4 interviews), versus those ~14 apps where I mentioned anxiety (2 interviews). I enjoyed those 4 interviews much more because I didn't feel like I had to be "on the defensive" and "convince" my interviewer that I was still a good candidate despite this handicap I highlighted on my app. I also only got bites from the T20 schools in the "anxiety-free" apps, fwiw.

In short, talking about anxiety in a challenge essay for sure won't ruin your chances, but it'll make your interview day into more of a sales pitch than it should be. I wish I had talked about something else I overcame! Best of luck to you, and, from one future doctor with a history of anxiety to another, don't be nervous ;)

Wow, thank you, this was really valuable and encouraging information! The last thing I want to do is make an already grueling process harder on myself.

Good luck to you as well! Seems like you’re doing great :)

We also like seeing evidence of coping skills and resiliency

This was my aim with even alluding to it, but I can see why it would be more appropriate for essays outside of my PS.

However, I’m not sure at this point I even want to attempt to go here in any essay. I can’t guarantee the way I write about it will end up painting it in a positive enough light to ensure it won’t cause any hesitance toward me as an applicant. I think I’ll feel more comfortable leaving it out altogether now that I’ve read everyone’s replies.

Reactions: 2 users
Fully agree and should have added to my post above-- a big reason why I think my anxiety essays were admission-worthy was because they were about childhood, did not affect my grades at all, and were supported by a long record of public speaking and other types of "proof" of my progress

When I was a child I was afraid of monsters under the bed. I have since made progress. It is called maturing. Having matured is required for medical school but not something one would write about in an essay. Stick to life after age 17 when writing about life experiences that make you a good candidate for medical school or that have prepared you for a career as a physician.

Stigma aside, I believe you that this is an important part of your decision to apply, and I’d have to read the essay but I’m not sure this even answers the question of “why medicine?” Liking the idea of the job as a kid or teen —> feeling like you’d fail at the job —> feeling more confident about doing the job does not describe anything you actually *like* about the job (“Ive always wanted to be a doctor” doesn’t count). Just something to think about. You’ll want to keep the focus on what the formative experiences you mentioned showed you about medicine that seemed to line up with your career goals/interests. (ETA: For comparison. I was dead set on a particular subspecialty throughout med school and residency. At the last moment before applications were due I realised it no longer fit my career and life goals. This was honest to god devastating and I had to grieve the loss of that subspecialty. This journey is obviously a huge contributor to how I came to the decision to apply for/take the attending job I have lined up. But did I mention this in the interview? No, bc it makes them seem like a backup and honestly says nothing about why I liked that particular job/hospital/area of practice.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Previous posts have said things along the lines of if you would write about asthma then you should be able to write about anxiety. Sure maybe in an ideal world this would be true, but I think you need to be careful with discussing mental illness, regardless of the fact that you feel like you have overcome it. Asthma shouldn't at all affect your care of patients, but having another period of anxiety would. Some people may see it as an example of your resiliency, but others may see it as a bit of a red flag - it doesn't make it fair, but it is definitely a possibility. There's a reason so many advisors tell you never to mention mental illnesses in your app. You want to do everything you can to protect yourself and your success.

Previous posts have said things along the lines of if you would write about asthma then you should be able to write about anxiety.
I think you might have misinterpreted the other posts comparing anxiety to asthma, acne, etc. I think those were actually being used as additional examples of why OP shouldn’t use anxiety in his/her PS, since overcoming acne or asthma don’t answer the “why Medicine” question and wouldn’t be make a compelling statement, so neither would anxiety.
(Or at least that’s how I initially read those posts)

I think you might have misinterpreted the other posts comparing anxiety to asthma, acne, etc. I think those were actually being used as additional examples of why OP shouldn’t use anxiety in his/her PS, since overcoming acne or asthma don’t answer the “why Medicine” question and wouldn’t be make a compelling statement, so neither would anxiety.
I think personal illness is a good thing to have in a PS if it is not that you overcame the illness but that you want to embody the kindness/respect/passion etc. of those who treated you or something along those lines.

I think personal illness is a good thing to have in a PS if it is not that you overcame the illness but that you want to embody the kindness/respect/passion etc. of those who treated you or something along those lines.
Sorry, I should’ve clarified I wasn’t trying to state my opinion on it, was just trying to paraphrase the other posts that seemed to suggest that. (I do agree with the other people that are suggesting not to write about anxiety, though)

Sorry, I should’ve clarified I wasn’t trying to state my opinion on it, was just trying to paraphrase the other posts that seemed to suggest that. (I do agree with the other people that are suggesting not to write about anxiety, though)
Gotcha. Good paraphrasing, and I concur with the whole don’t talk about it train of thought. Just if OP does role with it, don’t talk about overcoming it, talk about how your interactions influenced you.

For instance, there is one PS I have read along the lines of “grew up in a rural area with immigrant parents - getting to the doctor and communicating about my issues was difficult. I want to help others in rural areas and immigrants.” The story is about the influence of medicine on the writer, not the writer’s experience with medicine, if that makes sense.

Fair enough. Definitely some people do begin their personal statement with a glimpse of their time as a patient if it is relevant to how they know they wanted to become a doctor. So going off that my point was that asthma may not be viewed the same as anxiety because some kids outgrow asthma, but they may view anxiety as something that would possibly peak again during the stressful medical training years.

Gotcha. Good paraphrasing, and I concur with the whole don’t talk about it train of thought. Just if OP does role with it, don’t talk about overcoming it, talk about how your interactions influenced you.

For instance, there is one PS I have read along the lines of “grew up in a rural area with immigrant parents - getting to the doctor and communicating about my issues was difficult. I want to help others in rural areas and immigrants.” The story is about the influence of medicine on the writer, not the writer’s experience with medicine, if that makes sense.
This last part could be a good way for OP to go about it. You can talk about how the compassion that your doctor showed influenced you in your medical path. OP's part about being proud of working through the struggle - i'm not sure how that exactly can be introduced. You may just want to stick to more recent examples of your resiliency.