badmouthing other schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tRNA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when asked in an inteview about my impressions of other schools that interviewed me, how do I answer them without feeling like badmouthing that other school? it always seems hard for me because when I say anything negative I feel like badmouthing....anyone has this problem? :confused: how do I handle it? Do you always give positive answers even when asked to compare between the different schools you have been to? thanks alot

Best regards

Members don't see this ad.

when asked in an inteview about my impressions of other schools that interviewed me, how do I answer them without feeling like badmouthing that other school? it always seems hard for me because when I say anything negative I feel like badmouthing....anyone has this problem? :confused: how do I handle it? Do you always give positive answers even when asked to compare between the different schools you have been to? thanks alot

Best regards

Just say you feel honored to have been able to interview where you have, but be honest if there was something that impressed you negatively at other schools. I mean you'll be at another school and they want to know that you will pick their school above others anyway.

if you feel that you need to express yourself in such a way as to not make other schools seem better than the one you are interviewing at, start with something positive, but then talk about how that school doesn't fit your particular needs in some way, or that it isn't exactly what you're looking for. This way, you can avoid badmouthing the school because personal taste is a subjective thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you feel that you need to express yourself in such a way as to not make other schools seem better than the one you are interviewing at, start with something positive, but then talk about how that school doesn't fit your particular needs in some way, or that it isn't exactly what you're looking for. This way, you can avoid badmouthing the school because personal taste is a subjective thing.
yes, i always said something along the lines of that

nice school etc...BUT xxx doesn't make it an attractive option for me etc...

i would not go into anything negative at all. still go with the whole "you felt honored to interview where you have" but id finish with "...i'd jump at the chance to come here because of X,Y,Z." this shows class and tact as well as showcases your knowledge of the school you are interviewing at. many dental educators and interviewers have been to/ worked at/ have many friends at/ the school you are about to say something negative about. do yourself a solid by staying on the high ground. this isn't to say you do have a negative view of a school but have you ever noticed that dentists don't talk smack about other dentists work very often? its kinda like that like that...take the hint and stay classy like San Diego!

i would not go into anything negative at all. still go with the whole "you felt honored to interview where you have" but id finish with "...i'd jump at the chance to come here because of X,Y,Z." this shows class and tact as well as showcases your knowledge of the school you are interviewing at. many dental educators and interviewers have been to/ worked at/ have many friends at/ the school you are about to say something negative about. do yourself a solid by staying on the high ground. this isn't to say you do have a negative view of a school but have you ever noticed that dentists don't talk smack about other dentists work very often? its kinda like that like that...take the hint and stay classy like San Diego!

Really? My family dentist gets many patients who went to another neighborhood dentist, one who isn't particularly skilled, and the patients came to my dentist to correct the mistakes that the previous dentist made. Often they come in as an emergency since the tooth became infected because of a poorly done root canal. Thus, my dentist does not have high regard for the other dentists in the immediate area, nor does he have any complimentary things to say about them.

But I agree with all the other stuff you said though :)

Really? My family dentist gets many patients who went to another neighborhood dentist, one who isn't particularly skilled, and the patients came to my dentist to correct the mistakes that the previous dentist made. Often they come in as an emergency since the tooth became infected because of a poorly done root canal. Thus, my dentist does not have high regard for the other dentists in the immediate area, nor does he have any complimentary things to say about them.

In general, we tend not see our "marvelous" work fail because patients end up going elsewhere. Endo failures are not common, however, when they do fail the cause may have less to do with the "skill" of the practitioner and more to do with contributing factors which may be beyond our reach.

I don't have the heart to argue with you doc, you've done too much for this community.