Baeyer–Villiger oxidation overkill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiomajorPreDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I am solid in oxidation and reduction reactions in ochem, but I came across one last one in my text, called the Baeyer–Villiger oxidation.

Basically its

aldehyde + peroxyacid -> carboxylic acid

and

ketone + peroxyacid -> ester

Now, you might say..big deal..just memorize it, but I have not seen it ever before and my brain feels like its about to explode as it is.

I did not think it was important but in the synthesis section at the end of the chapter its used a few times...what do you guys think? likely to appear on DAT?

Edit: Also two more quick things: 1. protecting groups? converting ketones into ketals with diols so that you can keep them intact while reacting the molecule and then converting them back into ketones

..and 2. addition of sulfur nucleophiles to ketones and being able to then reduce the C-S bonds to C-H bonds

Is all of this overkill??

Members don't see this ad.

i would say the ketal group is a good thing to know bc its really just an extension of a basic reaction. but i know some ppl who didnt study those other ones and they were fine. im not studying S nucleophiles (just know theyre great nuc's) or the bayer one.