Oxidation vs Reduction in terms of Bonding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. Quick question. I know oxidation is loss of electrons and reduction is a gain, obviously. However, in terms of bonding, what does it mean? For example Bio destroyer number 41 says to isolate a disulfide protein bonded protein, use a reducing condition. I assume this means you are REDUCING the number of oxygen/sulfur bonds? Vice verse for oxidation, you would be increasing the Sulfur/Oxygen bond number. Just looking for clarification here! Thanks
 
Hi guys. Quick question. I know oxidation is loss of electrons and reduction is a gain, obviously. However, in terms of bonding, what does it mean? For example Bio destroyer number 41 says to isolate a disulfide protein bonded protein, use a reducing condition. I assume this means you are REDUCING the number of oxygen/sulfur bonds? Vice verse for oxidation, you would be increasing the Sulfur/Oxygen bond number. Just looking for clarification here! Thanks

Oxidizing and reducing agents in Organic Chemistry and Bio chemistry are thought about differently than definitions given in general chemistry. A reducing agent in Organic and Bio Chemistry is used for adding hydrogens to a compound and an oxidizing agent is used to add oxygens. This general principal holds true for most reactions you will come a across.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano
 
Oxidizing and reducing agents in Organic Chemistry and Bio chemistry are thought about differently than definitions given in general chemistry. A reducing agent in Organic and Bio Chemistry is used for adding hydrogens to a compound and an oxidizing agent is used to add oxygens. This general principal holds true for most reactions you will come a across.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Thanks Doc! I am loving Dat Bio Destroyer so far! About to sit down and hopefully get through another 100 questions. Strangely I don't feel stressed out as I feel I should. It could be either cockiness or enthusiasm towards how varied Bio really is. After all, it is much more interesting than orgo in my opinion
 
Thanks Doc! I am loving Dat Bio Destroyer so far! About to sit down and hopefully get through another 100 questions. Strangely I don't feel stressed out as I feel I should. It could be either cockiness or enthusiasm towards how varied Bio really is. After all, it is much more interesting than orgo in my opinion
I am relying on DAT destroyer as my ultimate source of learning the Bio section. After I am done with it, I will be testing myself with boot camp. I started going through Biology cliff book and I found it overwhelming. How are you studying for the biology if you don't mind share you take?