bag = fumbled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username1379

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm applying this cycle to ~30 schools and still haven't finished about half of the secondaries. My committee letter, CASPer score, etc. were all in in early September. I'm really losing steam and motivation and am wondering if anyone has advice/personal experiences, etc. with completing all apps in mid-October. I think I'm a reasonably strong applicant (~3.7 GPA, 520 MCAT, 3 pubs, good ECs and LORs) but don't know how to approach finishing up.

It's completely my fault for taking so long amidst work, a MCAT retake, and unhealthy perfectionism when it comes to writing these essays, and I'd really appreciate any guidance on whether it's time to cut losses for this cycle. Thanks y'all :(

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't it help that there are common themes across the essays for various schools?
Once you have written your family values essay or your most difficult hurdle essay, you don't have to create a new one each time, you can tailor its length and send it in. Aiming for perfection may be holding you back from a school getting to read your essays at all

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Agree with @wysdoc , for many of these essays with overlap you should wash/rinse/repeat.

You recognize you have unhealthy perfectionism. Do something about it and learn to just submit something that is very good. Frankly, these essays probably do not matter when it comes to whether or not you will get an interview, but will rather be used to help drive the conversation when you get to the interview stage. So hemming and hawing over whether you should say "use" or "utilize" is just a waste of time.

The bottom line is that you're letting this personality flaw torpedo what should otherwise be an outstanding application. Get over your perfectionism, write your essay stream of consciousness (or re-use a relevant already-written essay), revise once, hit submit, and move on.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users