Personal Statement Inspired by "Should I get a doctor bag?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Runner500

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
sub-buzz-15115-1494275687-3.jpg

Inspired by this image posted in the "Should I get a Doctor bad?" thread, I wrote a draft personal statement based on a childhood memory of this bag. Let me know what you think.

"Why medicine? I didn't choose to go down this path, I was forced. Not by my parents, but by the never-ending integration of medicine into our normal lives, and my deep threaded desire heal. I developed a true passion years ago during one of first days as a medical provider.

"Grab my medical supplies from the truck, stat!"

No, I wasn't yelling to my partner during my many years as a volunteer EMT. This took place much earlier, 15 years to be exact, and my orders were directed to my mother. I was visiting Timmy, my colleague, for a conference.

"He's presenting with symptoms of a triple A!" I yelled, as I gaze upon my friend’s little brother, lying there motionless, in a diaper.

The untrained eye would have made the fatal diagnosis of a nap, as it was around that time of day. Being the prodigy I was, I noticed the pulsating mass in his abdomen.

My mother returned with my Fisher Price medical bag, still unaware of the situation at hand. A mere muggle of medicine in the face of a medical wizard. Threatened by this she made the derogatory comment, "have fun on your play-date, Runner, Timmy’s Dad is going to show me around the upstairs.”

I spent the next 20 minutes operating on Timmy’s little brother when I heard distressed moaning coming from upstairs. A myocardial infarction? I had to help. I threw a black tag on Timmy’s brother; he was a goner from the start. Without realizing it, my instinctive ability to triage had surfaced.

As I sprinted up the stairs and busted through a bedroom door, I received my first lesson on the human reproductive system. Inspired, I gave up my future as a surgeon, and for the next 40 weeks I was the 5 year-old equivalent of an OB-GYN.

I never heard from Timmy again, I assume because his family was upset I couldn’t save their loved one, my failure had torn their family apart. Only I could be blamed, and I was happy to give them someone to blame.

During this period, I had a lost a life, and watched a new one form. I came to discover to true beauty of “The circle of life”, best represented in my favorite movie of the time, The Lion King. Ironically, my Father left us too, much like Simba lost his. As hard as this was for me... I just can't waaaaaait... to be MD!"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users