Balancing an equation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoLPoPs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When balancing an equation, I usually write half reactions. However, for the reaction below, the elements are mixed in the product...and I'm confused how you would balance it.

KMnO4 + NH3 -> KNO3 + MnO2 + KOH + H2O

Can someone help with this question? Thanks!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

When balancing an equation, I usually write half reactions. However, for the reaction below, the elements are mixed in the product...and I'm confused how you would balance it.

I've never seen problems like that, especially not on the dat.

Whats Mn and O charges? Doesn't seems right though. I think it should be MnO (having +2 for Mn and -2 for O).

Still can find the 2 half reactions...

Just find the main elements that are oxidized/reduced. K can never be oxidized its +1. Here if you check N changes oxidation state. So does the MnO4. Even if you don't know what MnO2 is. You don't need to know to balance it I think. (I think MnO2, Mn is +4.)

So...
NH3 -> NO3^-
MnO4^- -> MnO2
Ignore everything else and the K. K is a spectator ion.

Then do the usual balancing redox. Balance it for a "basic solution" since we have KOH on the right. Add H2O for O, etc...

Once you get to the end you will get
8MnO4^- + 3 NH3 ---> 8MnO2 + 3NO3^- + 2H2O + 5OH^-
and you will wonder, where is the K+?
Just add it in for the MnO4^-, OH^-, and NO3^- (pretty much to every ion). Its a spectator ion so it can be left out, but the answer probably wants it.

8 KMnO4 + 3 NH3 ---> 8MnO2 + 3KNO3 + 2H2O + 5KOH

Last edited: