Balancing career and family

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to know your opinions on this topic. Do any of you have spouses (or are in serious relationships with peeople) who are also going to be lawyers or doctors. Since these are both very demanding professions, I was wondering how you guys plan to balance family life with your career? Do you not plan on having kids for a long time? If anyone has been in or is going through this situation, please share your experiences.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yeah - i'd like to hear your thoughts on this too.

My wife just finished up her 2nd year of law school and I'm about to finish up 3rd year. I think the answers are simpler than most people make them out to be. You just have to figure out your priorities. Everything else falls into place from there. My wife and I pretty much decided that a career can wait while your fertility cannot. If you put off having kids too long it may no longer be an option. Since both of us are only children, it is important to us that we have more than one child, so we pretty much have to start ealier rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
My girlfriend (almost 2 yrs) is a MS4. It helps to be going into a profession which is not as demanding hour-wise, and that she is interested in FP where there is ample opportunity to join a larger group with part-time opportunities.

And since my girlfriend would jump at the chance to not work... :laugh:

Kids have the priority over career. I don't want to live with only money, I want a life.

I'm afraid to say that final exams killed my relationship. My girlfriend was doing radiology & she got very stressed :eek: & cranky :mad: when on call. Combined with me having to study countless hours every day, we didn't make it unfortunately. We're still good friends, & under different circumstances, it may have worked. The thing that killed the relationship in the end, was the fact that when I finish my reisdency, she would have had 2 years to go & we would have been forced to spend 1-2 years in different cities (or worse, different countries)

I'm convinced however, that a double medical marriage can work....... Ahhh next time. :love: