Jul 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,

I was originally going to have taken the MCAT by now but in December something really tragic happened. At first I tried powering through and studying, but then I realized that what would help me more would be to get therapy and focus on the college classes I was taking. I ended up finishing the semester well and am mentally doing much better and ready to start really studying for the MCAT. I plan to sit for it in January.

This all being said, the resources I have to study with are the 7-set Kaplan Book, TBR, AAMC Online Materials, 300pg KA document, and UWorld. I'm trying to get through my Kaplan books by the end of August and TBR content and phase I questions by the start of October, and I'm going to start UWorld at the end of July. For P/S while I have the Kaplan and TBR books I am thinking I might just focus my energy on the 300pg document.

This being said, I was wondering if anybody could share advice for managing both sets of content books. I found that outlining as I read takes lots of time, and I half wonder if that is my best option since I have multiple resources I am going through to cover the content. I also realize that writing is helpful and helps with memory retention. A balance I am trying now is to read a chapter of content, do the end of chapter (Kaplan)/phase I questions (TBR), and then go back to the sections I struggled on and take detailed notes. So far it has helped me save time, but I am worried I am missing out if I do not take notes on everything. I have heard the phrase "less is more" and part of me wondering if I am trying to do too much. Since I am testing in January, I feel like I have the time, and want to try doing everything I can to get the score I want the first time.

Do any of you have advice? It could be related to this question or anything else you think could help me. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
TBR is much more in-depth than Kaplan and provides high quality passage based practice at the end of each section. I highly recommend using TBR for in-depth review in physics, chemistry, and orgo, and using their end of chapter phase practice passages as directed. Personally, I found TBR too dense for bio and biochemistry so I used Kaplan to do content review and then did the TBR practice passages. I would then review TBR to fill in specific gaps. For PS I used Kaplan and the

In terms of time, it would usually take me about 1.5-2 hours to go through a chapter of TBR. Some sections that I had a stronger foundation in would be less than an hour. When I did my initial content review, I would go through two TBR chapters per day.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
TBR is much more in-depth than Kaplan and provides high quality passage based practice at the end of each section. I highly recommend using TBR for in-depth review in physics, chemistry, and orgo, and using their end of chapter phase practice passages as directed. Personally, I found TBR too dense for bio and biochemistry so I used Kaplan to do content review and then did the TBR practice passages. I would then review TBR to fill in specific gaps. For PS I used Kaplan and the

In terms of time, it would usually take me about 1.5-2 hours to go through a chapter of TBR. Some sections that I had a stronger foundation in would be less than an hour. When I did my initial content review, I would go through two TBR chapters per day.
Thanks for sharing your perspective and experience! It really helps!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.