Balancing my pharm tech job and school

Started by smithek
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smithek

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting school next week and am planning to keep my pharm tech job through the school year. I had been clear with the pharmacy manager and the scheduler that I needed a drastic cut in hours and gave them plenty of warning. When the schedule came out, I was scheduled twice as many hours as had been agreed upon by the pharmacy manager. I went back to him and the scheduler, and was basically told I'd just have to deal with it. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Do I keep my job through the interviews? or do I go in tomorrow and give my two weeks?
 
I am starting school next week and am planning to keep my pharm tech job through the school year. I had been clear with the pharmacy manager and the scheduler that I needed a drastic cut in hours and gave them plenty of warning. When the schedule came out, I was scheduled twice as many hours as had been agreed upon by the pharmacy manager. I went back to him and the scheduler, and was basically told I'd just have to deal with it. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Do I keep my job through the interviews? or do I go in tomorrow and give my two weeks?

If you work for a retail chain, look into transferring to another store which can offer you the reduced hours and flexibility you need.
 
If you work for a retail chain, look into transferring to another store which can offer you the reduced hours and flexibility you need.

Well transferring isn't particularly appealing, because this store is in walking distance from campus, and the next closest location would be about an hr round trip.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the schools you are looking into require a LOR from a pharmacist? Will you have any other options in getting a pharmacist LOR if you leave your current job?
 
The pharmacy manager already wrote the LOR...My app is complete.

If there is no way around quitting, I'd be very careful about how you go about it. You never know when you may come to regret a bridge you burned (especially if it comes up in an interview, or if you plan on interning or applying for a job with this company later on). I'd stay through the current schedule while continuing to push for a cut in hours. If it doesn't seem to be happening, I'd quit before the next schedule is out citing inability to balance school and so many hours at work as the sole reason for resigning.
 
I agree. Especially if this is a chain store. You don't want to end up on a do not hire list and then have it hurt you when you are looking for a job after school.



If there is no way around quitting, I'd be very careful about how you go about it. You never know when you may come to regret a bridge you burned (especially if it comes up in an interview, or if you plan on interning or applying for a job with this company later on). I'd stay through the current schedule while continuing to push for a cut in hours. If it doesn't seem to be happening, I'd quit before the next schedule is out citing inability to balance school and so many hours at work as the sole reason for resigning.
 
I'd stay through the current schedule while continuing to push for a cut in hours. If it doesn't seem to be happening, I'd quit before the next schedule is out citing inability to balance school and so many hours at work as the sole reason for resigning.

I agree - unless you're starting pharm school, the first week is just getting the syllabus & review anyway, amirite? Plus, next week's a holiday week, so you'll get a day off school anyway.

If you have a personal relationship with the pharmacist, I might even go so far as to say that you truly enjoyed working there / you're sorry to go, and would the pharmacist would please keep you in mind if something part time comes up?

Networking protip: Check in with the pharmacist every so often to catch up / blatantly ask for the position. Don't be obnoxious, but do it just often enough to keep yourself in the pharmacist's mind. Be polite. (I've never had the cahones to do this, but I know it works if you do it right.)
 
Last edited:
I agree - unless you're starting pharm school, the first week is just getting the syllabus & review anyway, amirite? Plus, next week's a holiday week, so you'll get a day off school anyway.

If you have a personal relationship with the pharmacist, I might even go so far as to say that you truly enjoyed working there / you're sorry to go, and would the pharmacist would please keep you in mind if something part time comes up?

Networking protip: Check in with the pharmacist every so often to catch up / blatantly ask for the position. Don't be obnoxious, but do it just often enough to keep yourself in the pharmacist's mind. Be polite. (I've never had the cahones to do this, but I know it works if you do it right.)

I just know if I keep giving in, they'll keep taking advantage of that. How do I let them know I'm serious, without having to be dramatic and threatening to quit? do I just tell them I'm not coming in if they schedule me outside of these certain days for these hours? If then they say they'll have to let me go I say, "okay"?
 
I just know if I keep giving in, they'll keep taking advantage of that. How do I let them know I'm serious, without having to be dramatic and threatening to quit? do I just tell them I'm not coming in if they schedule me outside of these certain days for these hours? If then they say they'll have to let me go I say, "okay"?

No. You might mention it to the pharmacist (my first advice I edited out mentioned it) if the pharmacist has a personal connection to you / would be sad to see you go. That way it's not out of left field when you quit.

Alternately, after a couple days of school, ask to have a formal meeting with the PIC and explain that you'd really truly love to keep the job, but as he knows (since he wrote your LoR), school must be your top priority. If they don't change it on your next schedule, you will be forced to quit to pursue school - nothing personal, and again, if something part time comes up, you'd be glad to have it. But you understand if they need full-time employees - you'd rather leave so they can find an employee that will be able to meet their needs than not be able to keep up your obligation.

It depends on who's pulling the strings (do you need to talk to someone above your pharmacist?) and how that person deals with confrontation. My current boss (not pharmacy) seems to prefer to know early so he can try to accommodate and would prefer to schedule a short sit-down (we're customer facing, so it's best if we can shut the door for a minute). I have had bosses that would prefer I just come talk to them briefly in the afternoon when they're less busy than schedule something. I have had some that can just take the hint from conversation, but those are few & far between. Think about what style your boss would prefer.
 
No. You might mention it to the pharmacist (my first advice I edited out mentioned it) if the pharmacist has a personal connection to you / would be sad to see you go. That way it's not out of left field when you quit.

Alternately, after a couple days of school, ask to have a formal meeting with the PIC and explain that you'd really truly love to keep the job, but as he knows (since he wrote your LoR), school must be your top priority. If they don't change it on your next schedule, you will be forced to quit to pursue school - nothing personal, and again, if something part time comes up, you'd be glad to have it. But you understand if they need full-time employees - you'd rather leave so they can find an employee that will be able to meet their needs than not be able to keep up your obligation.

It depends on who's pulling the strings (do you need to talk to someone above your pharmacist?) and how that person deals with confrontation. My current boss (not pharmacy) seems to prefer to know early so he can try to accommodate and would prefer to schedule a short sit-down (we're customer facing, so it's best if we can shut the door for a minute). I have had bosses that would prefer I just come talk to them briefly in the afternoon when they're less busy than schedule something. I have had some that can just take the hint from conversation, but those are few & far between. Think about what style your boss would prefer.

The pharmacist I work with most closely is the pharmacy manager, who controls hiring and the schedule. However, despite him agreeing to my needs and promising me he'd work around it, and discussing it with the senior tech who does the schedule, they keep on scheduling me over what I agreed to. I never signed up to be a full time tech. I was an intern over January and they said they'd hire me and have me work when someone needed a day off or called in sick. 3 techs left, and they hired no replacements, 8 months later, here I am, in over my head, doing a job that isn't what I signed up for. I'm not scheduled as a full time tech, but it is still more than I am comfortable with and more than I can reasonably handle.
 
I'm not scheduled as a full time tech, but it is still more than I am comfortable with and more than I can reasonably handle.

Time for an ultimatum. Schedule me for less than or up to the max number of hours I stipulated on the next schedule, or I walk. (But I would love to hear if you have a part time position opening, etc etc.)
 
The pharmacist I work with most closely is the pharmacy manager, who controls hiring and the schedule. However, despite him agreeing to my needs and promising me he'd work around it, and discussing it with the senior tech who does the schedule, they keep on scheduling me over what I agreed to. I never signed up to be a full time tech. I was an intern over January and they said they'd hire me and have me work when someone needed a day off or called in sick. 3 techs left, and they hired no replacements, 8 months later, here I am, in over my head, doing a job that isn't what I signed up for. I'm not scheduled as a full time tech, but it is still more than I am comfortable with and more than I can reasonably handle.

You're majorly over-thinking this. Tell them (politely) that you need to focus on school and you can't keep working over X number of hours or you'll have to give up your position. If that doesn't get the job done, then follow through and quit.
 
You're majorly over-thinking this. Tell them (politely) that you need to focus on school and you can't keep working over X number of hours or you'll have to give up your position. If that doesn't get the job done, then follow through and quit.

I believe this is the best advice. You have to sit down with the PIC one last time and explain that you are already feeling the pressure of trying to keep up your studies. You really hate to walk away from a "job that you love" (tell 'em what they want to hear) but you have to think about your future and not just the next 2 week schedule.

If they still wont work with you, do as R2 said: Just quit. You have no other choice.
 
Believe it or not but I am in the same exact position as you are. I just got a job as a pharmacy tech. two weeks ago after waiting for so many months. We started college this week and my job has scheduled me more hours than I requested. I understand its just first week but I also have PCAT right around the corner in end of Sept. I kindly spoke to my manager and convinced him how important the job is and at the same time I am bound to certain school hours. At this point I just feel that I need both; job and school and I am going to have to do whatever to stay strong. I would suggest staying where you are and just find ways to stay around the schedule. Speak to them often about reduced hours but try to make up for that by working holidays, weekends, etc - hours that will allow other employees to get off from work. I am doing the same! Working this whole labor day weekend🙂 The last thing you want is to explain why you couldn't keep a job in a interview esp. being it a Pharmacy job. Good luck!👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I was in your boat I'd probably just bite the bullet and take the hours. I guess everyone is different though.

You should be happy about this. Your manager wouldn't schedule you this much if he didn't value you as an employee. This means that you can bargain with him. He doesn't want to lose you.

I wouldn't give him an ultimatum though (ie give me x hours next week or I'm done). Tell him you need to taper off over the next couple of weeks and x hours is where you need to be.

That or you can take matters into your own hands. I'd start faxing other stores to find coverage in hopes that one of those other techs is wanting more hours.
 
You should be happy about this. Your manager wouldn't schedule you this much if he didn't value you as an employee. This means that you can bargain with him. He doesn't want to lose you.

I disagree. Just because you get scheduled a ton of hours does not necessarily mean that you are that much of a valued employee (unless you are the only person they are doing this to). All it means is they need someone to fill a spot. It is not personal, it is business.

While they may like you personally, they still have a business to run. There is no manager out there that will (should) let personal relationships dictate how schedules are made. If they do, they risk hurting their business.

Again, you need to talk to whomever has the power to adjust the schedule. If they refuse to work with, expect them to keep taking advantage of you. Never trust anyone unless they are already doing what you are requesting or you have something in writing (in business relationships).
 
Well work the hours that you have to in order to keep your job, go out less and get less sleep. I'm a full time biology major, single mother to a 3 year old, and I work full time with a 3.4 grade point average. What I'm saying is do what you have to do, you'll survive!👍
 
Well work the hours that you have to in order to keep your job, go out less and get less sleep. I'm a full time biology major, single mother to a 3 year old, and I work full time with a 3.4 grade point average. What I'm saying is do what you have to do, you'll survive!👍

Also good advice. I work 40+ while going to school to support me and my 2 yo daughter. This can be seen by most of my posts being in the middle of the night. I just always recommend people being firm and standing up for themselves.

I do not recommend this lifestyle but it will all be worth it in 4 or 5 years. Believe me, I wish my biggest problem was only working too many hours instead of figuring out when I will get my next appreciable sleep.
 
Well work the hours that you have to in order to keep your job, go out less and get less sleep. I'm a full time biology major, single mother to a 3 year old, and I work full time with a 3.4 grade point average. What I'm saying is do what you have to do, you'll survive!👍

Good for you. Your situation is totally different than the OP so please, don't make a comparison.
 
Good for you. Your situation is totally different than the OP so please, don't make a comparison.

Thank you, I didn't want to say anything, because I respect how hard she's working to take care of her child. I, however, don't have a kid to raise at this point. This job for me is solely about the experience and the fact that im getting paid is merely a consolation. My focus is school..or it should be, but it's the first week of classes and I'm scheduled 34 hours. I CAN do it but i shouldn't have to be pushed around , sacrifice my school work and the fun of my senior year all because they are lazy and know they can push me around..
 
Thank you, I didn't want to say anything, because I respect how hard she's working to take care of her child. I, however, don't have a kid to raise at this point. This job for me is solely about the experience and the fact that im getting paid is merely a consolation. My focus is school..or it should be, but it's the first week of classes and I'm scheduled 34 hours. I CAN do it but i shouldn't have to be pushed around , sacrifice my school work and the fun of my senior year all because they are lazy and know they can push me around..

It would appear that through this thread, you have either found your answer or came to peace with an answer you already had in your head. Good for you! I wish you luck in whatever you end up doing. Sounds like you have a level head so you will go far.