Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my bf and I have been together for 2.5 years. We are in a solid relationship, definitely thinking marriage long term. He is a great person, although he is still finishing school (not in medicine), so I didn't think we were ready for marriage. I know lots of people get married while they are still in school, but somehow, I never felt like we were quite yet mature enough for marriage. For a while, whenever he hinted at marriage, I would balk, saying we weren't ready, or that I dreaded the thought of a wedding. It sounds ludicrous to say I would not get married because I don't want a wedding, and yet that seems to be a big factor in why I don't want to get married. I dread the idea of walking down the aisle in front of a crowd, because I am quite shy, and I also don't even know who I would invite (neither of us is very social).
Now that I am finishing up medical school and getting ready to move for residency, it seems like the perfect time to get married. He was hinting at it again today and said since I have 6 weeks of vacation coming up, it would be perfect for a honeymoon. I said it didn't make sense to be planning a honeymoon if we weren't even engaged yet, and while I realize couples can just decide to get married in a week and do it, I am still hesitating, for the reasons I mentioned above. Does this sound silly? Does anyone really ever feel "ready for marriage," or is my reluctance to take the next step a sign that there are other problems in this relationship?
Now that I am finishing up medical school and getting ready to move for residency, it seems like the perfect time to get married. He was hinting at it again today and said since I have 6 weeks of vacation coming up, it would be perfect for a honeymoon. I said it didn't make sense to be planning a honeymoon if we weren't even engaged yet, and while I realize couples can just decide to get married in a week and do it, I am still hesitating, for the reasons I mentioned above. Does this sound silly? Does anyone really ever feel "ready for marriage," or is my reluctance to take the next step a sign that there are other problems in this relationship?
The vast majority were my wife's extended family. Only two of my friends made it to the wedding, and they were in my bridal party. My wife and I have been together for four years, but I engaged her around year #2 and we began wedding planning around year #3.