BAMC ADT Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delicatefade

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an ADT at BAMC in June. What's the typical housing situation for students??? (on post, off post). If OBC is still in the same time frame as it was 2 years ago, I'd imagine I'd have to be off post because all the OBC students would be at the two on post facilities.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was there in 2003 for ADT they put me up in a hotel by the airport. I had a POV there.

First you call the BOQ, and they are usually full, but the occasional student gets stuck there. When you have your statement of non-availability, or your lodging success program control #, you book your choice from a list of hotels. Depending on what rotation you are doing, you may get assigned your own rental car or you may have to share.

Here are the hotels:

http://www.armymwr.com/portal/travel/lodging/lsp.asp

Scroll down to San Antonio, TX. The downside to staying at the river is that most of the places charge extra for parking ($7-10 per day) which isn't reimbursed.

Members don't see this ad :)
What rotation will you be on?

if i was flying down from PA, is there any chance i'd get a rental authorized? or would it be best to suck it up and drive down??

hey bogatyr or anybody else around BAMC- which one of those hotels is closest to BAMC? any chance some friendly residents let med students crash on their couches in exchange for some cash in return? I will have already completed my ADTs and will need to pay for 4 weeks lodging without reimbursement- with taxes a hotel room is going to run 80-90 bucks per night... brutal... private message me if you know of anything. thanks!

Thanks. Here's to hoping the BOQ is full. :thumbup:

What I used to do was call 2 weeks before the rotation...the BOQ was bound to be full and they were forced to give a statement of non-availability. Worked at Madigan and worked at Tripler for my buddy...granted this was a couple of years ago.

What I used to do was call 2 weeks before the rotation...the BOQ was bound to be full and they were forced to give a statement of non-availability. Worked at Madigan and worked at Tripler for my buddy...granted this was a couple of years ago.
So they reimburse for car rental if you are off post? What about at OBC?

Check the HPSP handbook for car rental reimbursement. It is specific to each location and you can look up BAMC.

I don't remember anyone at my OBC getting a car rental. People who drove were reimbursed mileage to/from San Antonio plus a certain number of miles per day while at OBC. The rest of us were allotted a certain amount per day for taxis. All you had to do was save your taxi receipts and submit them with your travel voucher. It worked out well because a lot of us would share taxis to go downtown at night, so it stretched our daily allottment (one person pays on the way there and keeps the receipt, someone else pays on the way back, etc).

A girl at my school was able to get a rental car paid for simply by constantly stating that the 2 other people she was supposed to "share" the car with were on completely different schedules and it would just not work out. She eventually got a car authorized for both ADTs (Tripler and Madigan).

Worst case scenario is that I'll have to buck up and rent a car (~$600-$700/month). I figure once I'm receiving Active Duty Pay I won't feel so bad about the money. I won't have much of a choice since there's a zero percent chance that I'm driving from Philly to Madigan in a weekend (2,870 miles!), only to drive from Madigan to BAMC in a weekend (2,290 miles!), and then possibly to Beaumont (550 miles), and then finally back to Philly (2,100 miles!!). That would be one hell of a trip (7,810 miles - not including driving during the rotations)!!! A rental car in each city it'll have to be, though I may be able to use the same car and drive from BAMC to Beaumont since it's in state...

Anyone else going to be at these locations during August, September, and October, respectively (orthopaedics clerkship)??