Barefoot running

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, we had some info about the Newton running shoe (supposedly closest thing to barefoot function) and that barefoot trend in our sports med course with Dr. Losito. He said the barefoot running stuff, like the Pose running and other styles, is still only a small % of runners but we should be aware of it since it may catch on.

It's interesting stuff to be aware of if you have athlete pts asking for tips, recommendation, or treatment. Sports Med overall was a great course... even though most of us had a bad case of senior-itis in the last semester :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen many barefoot soccer players but few barefoot runners. Some of the soccer players claimed that they could play and kick better barefoot.

If Newton running shoes mimic the "natural bare foot state," why are people discouraged from wearing flip-flops for long periods of time?

Last edited:
...If Newton running shoes mimic the "natural bare foot state," why are people discouraged from wearing flip-flops for long periods of time?
Walking generally requires more pronation and total range of motion in the foot joints than running does, and walking around in flat sandals just gives your foot no arch support whatsoever (and they also provide very minimal protection).

Walking generally requires more pronation and total range of motion in the foot joints than running does, and walking around in flat sandals just gives your foot no arch support whatsoever (and they also provide very minimal protection).
Ok thanks Feli.

Yeah, he and Denise Freeman came over from Des Moines when AzPOD started up 5 years ago.
I remember her too.

Did I tell you I ran into Lewis Freed at the WA Podiatric Medical Association conference a couple of weekends ago? He was lecturing for Arthrex. Tough sell on the Tightropes up there in Lapidusland. Dude still cracks me up with his Philly, "Hey how you dooin'."

Just finished my Sports med exam and this topic was covered. The coaches at some famous univs seriously believe its good. the research (from the articles which we had to read and one was conducted by "NIKE") also supports it.

here are the quotes from the coach (im not gonna give the name of school or team)

Coach -1 : "I can't prove this, but I believe that athletes that have been training barefoot run faster and have fewer injuries. It's just common sense."

Coach-2 : "You support an area, it gets weaker. You use it extensively, it gets stronger. Get on the grass and run barefoot and you don't have troubles. That's the first thing I did with all my athletes."

Iam all for it as long as the track/ground have been thoroughly inspected for small pebbles/gravels/thorns/etc to prevent injuries.

Just finished my Sports med exam and this topic was covered. The coaches at some famous univs seriously believe its good. the research (from the articles which we had to read and one was conducted by "NIKE") also supports it.

here are the quotes from the coach (im not gonna give the name of school or team)

Coach -1 : "I can't prove this, but I believe that athletes that have been training barefoot run faster and have fewer injuries. It's just common sense."

Coach-2 : "You support an area, it gets weaker. You use it extensively, it gets stronger. Get on the grass and run barefoot and you don't have troubles. That's the first thing I did with all my athletes."

Iam all for it as long as the track/ground have been thoroughly inspected for small pebbles/gravels/thorns/etc to prevent injuries.

And stingrays! Don't forget stingrays! Not stingrays, jellyfish. I meant jellyfish! That'd hurt, and then your teammates would have to pee on your feet...

I can't picture being able to run nearly as fast (not that I'm a fast runner -- I run like a penguin) without shoes on. When I even walk to the mailbox barefoot I may as well be on hot coals. Ow...ow...oww...ouch! I wonder how long it takes to adapt the skin for full-speed gait?

Last edited:

Coach -1 : “I can’t prove this, but I believe that athletes that have been training barefoot run faster and have fewer injuries. It’s just common sense.”

Coach-2 : "You support an area, it gets weaker. You use it extensively, it gets stronger. Get on the grass and run barefoot and you don’t have troubles. That’s the first thing I did with all my athletes.”

Ditto!

I can't picture being able to run nearly as fast (not that I'm a fast runner -- I run like a penguin) without shoes on. When I even walk to the mailbox barefoot I may as well be on hot coals. Ow...ow...oww...ouch! I wonder how long it takes to adapt the skin for full-speed gait?

same here:) . i mean just think when we walk we hurt our feet this much. these people are running (2-5 X the bodyweight) and with that force if you land on a small pebble. OOuch thats gonna be a disaster....:laugh:

same here:) . i mean just think when we walk we hurt our feet this much. these people are running (2-5 X the bodyweight) and with that force if you land on a small pebble. OOuch thats gonna be a disaster....:laugh:

Ooooh, I smell a business opportunity! I can be the big proponent of barefoot running around town (and here's my card, we take all major insurances and have same-day appointments available, have a nice day!).