Barely Passing or Repeating Year 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReadingAddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first year of medical school has been a real struggle for me. I failed some individual exams during the year, but ultimately managed to barely pass every class but one, which I failed only by a little and am currently attempting to remediate. I struggled so much and failed because of a severe depression episode which greatly impared my ability to study and for which I did not seek treatment until recently. In retrospect I should have gotten treatment in November before things spiraled out of control, but what is done is done and take responsibility for the mistakes I've made after some struggle. I am feeling much better with therapy and medication and just want to do better from now on.

I take a remediation test in approximately a week and I have been studying hard for it. If I pass, I will be permitted to move on to second year. If I fail, I will have to repeat first year. Since I have addressed the reason I failed, I am very confident in my ability to better if I need to do this.

However, I am currently considering whether it might be better to voluntarily repeat first year. I did manage to pass all classes but this one, but only barely. I passed by cramming all night before each exam and I'm really concerned I haven't adequately learned all the material to succeed next year and on the USMLE exam. Repeating first year would allow me to master the material far better and give me more time to improve my study skills and a better base for year two. Hopefully it would also allow me to build up my confidence again.

Obviously, there are major drawbacks to this. I HAVE to do better if I do repeat, so there is some pressure (although I'm pretty confident in my ability to do this as I did do pretty well during periods when my depression was not as bad). It is another $30,000 in loans and another year of my life. Also there is some social stigma and my parents would not be pleased.

I meet with the dean of students next week to discuss which would be the best option, but I am curious as to what others would do in this situation. Obviously if I fail the remediation test I have no choice and will repeat first year and simply do better. However, if I do manage to pass, is it better to simply move on and attempt to do better in second year or is it worth repeating first year master the material? My explaination for my poor performance this year is the depression and also some personal problems. How bad does this look to a residency director? I'm not sure what specialty I'd like to do at this point. Has anyone been though this before?

I am less concerned about the financial and social cost, more concerned about my ability to succeed in the rest of medical school and on the USMLE exam. My study habits will definitely improve regardless of whether I repeat or not, but any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

However, I am currently considering whether it might be better to voluntarily repeat first year. I did manage to pass all classes but this one, but only barely. I passed by cramming all night before each exam and I'm really concerned I haven't adequately learned all the material to succeed next year and on the USMLE exam. Repeating first year would allow me to master the material far better and give me more time to improve my study skills and a better base for year two. Hopefully it would also allow me to build up my confidence again.

Obviously, there are major drawbacks to this. I HAVE to do better if I do repeat, so there is some pressure (although I'm pretty confident in my ability to do this as I did do pretty well during periods when my depression was not as bad). It is another $30,000 in loans and another year of my life. Also there is some social stigma and my parents would not be pleased.

Kudos for even entertaining such an idea that makes many of us cringe, but personally, I vote for learning what you can from all of this, knocking that remediation stuff out of the park, and going to M2. Voluntarily repeating -- or attempting to repeat if your school will allow you to do it -- is just subjecting yourself to pain. You're already in medical school. You're doing that enough.

It's a significant addition to your student loans. It's repeating M1 (something I would ****ing hate to do, as would many of us I'm sure). Most of the material covered on Step is covered in M2, not M1. The pros of cutting your losses far outweigh the cons.

My first year of medical school has been a real struggle for me. I failed some individual exams during the year, but ultimately managed to barely pass every class but one, which I failed only by a little and am currently attempting to remediate. I struggled so much and failed because of a severe depression episode which greatly impared my ability to study and for which I did not seek treatment until recently. In retrospect I should have gotten treatment in November before things spiraled out of control, but what is done is done and take responsibility for the mistakes I've made after some struggle. I am feeling much better with therapy and medication and just want to do better from now on.

I take a remediation test in approximately a week and I have been studying hard for it. If I pass, I will be permitted to move on to second year. If I fail, I will have to repeat first year. Since I have addressed the reason I failed, I am very confident in my ability to better if I need to do this.

I meet with the dean of students next week to discuss which would be the best option, but I am curious as to what others would do in this situation. Obviously if I fail the remediation test I have no choice and will repeat first year and simply do better. However, if I do manage to pass, is it better to simply move on and attempt to do better in second year or is it worth repeating first year master the material? My explaination for my poor performance this year is the depression and also some personal problems. How bad does this look to a residency director? I'm not sure what specialty I'd like to do at this point. Has anyone been though this before?

I am less concerned about the financial and social cost, more concerned about my ability to succeed in the rest of medical school and on the USMLE exam. My study habits will definitely improve regardless of whether I repeat or not, but any insight would be appreciated.

Move on. If you repeat, that extra year will loom over your head and will be brought up during residency interviews. Remember that unless if they specifically ask, residency directors wont know whether you were forced to repeast or if you chose to do so. You cant bank on having the chance to explain yourself. Theres no way to plead your case if you dont get invited for interviews.
Plus theres no guarantee that you will ace every single class a second time around. What if the improvement in the grades does not look impressive? I would move on and start focusing on doing well in second year and step1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Voluntarily repeating -- or attempting to repeat if your school will allow you to do it -- is just subjecting yourself to pain.

Well, I already have a black mark on my record from getting a Remediate/Fail grade in the one class. Even if I pass the remediation, it will still be there. Which is worse, that fail grade or repeating a year (assuming I do better which I understand is not guaranteed)? My school will definitely allow me to repeat if I choose to do so, so I'm not concerned about that.

I grieved for a long time before I got to this point. I am still angry and disappointed that I put myself in this position, but all I can do is focus on doing better in the future. I do want to be a doctor. I should add that for me repeating M1 is less repellent than getting stuck in a specialty I hate because I moved on when I wasn't ready and bombed the USMLE.

Last edited:
Well, I already have a black mark on my record from getting a Remediate/Fail grade in the one class. Even if I pass the remediation, it will still be there. Which is worse, that fail grade or repeating a year (assuming I do better which I understand is not guaranteed)? My school will definitely allow me to repeat if I choose to do so, so I'm not concerned about that.

I grieved for a long time before I got to this point. I am still angry and disappointed that I put myself in this position, but all I can do is focus on doing better in the future. I do want to be a doctor. I should add that for me repeating M1 is less repellent than getting stuck in a specialty I hate because I moved on when I wasn't ready and bombed the USMLE.

Step is mostly y2 stuff, I'd just try to do better in 2nd year.

repeating 1st year is not going to help you prepare for step 1 that much. And by the way, repeasting is more likely to get you "stuck" than the remediation and moving on would.

OP, definitely take the test. Worst case scenario, you end up having to repeat, which you are thinking about voluntarily doing anyway. Best case scenario - you're an MS2!

I'm only an MS2 also, but from the compilation of advice from reputable posters here, M1/2 grades are not the be-all, end-all to getting into a residency program or being a successful doctor. You will probably need to re-evaluate your hopes for ophtho, derm, plastics, or rad onc, but so will I since I didn't get any M1 honors :D

IMO, if you can identify what it was that tripped you up (your depression, study habits, etc), then you can do what it takes to correct that and do better from here.

I wish you the best of luck :luck:

Okay, but still, I think it's entirely unnecessary to do what you're talking about for reasons I mentioned earlier. Seems like that's the consensus thus far from others, too. Besides, think about it: isn't it better to have that one strike and then do well for yourself from here on out as opposed to voluntarily repeat a year, spend another year doing M1 stuff, for gains that are probably negligible at best?

You will relearn the important M1 stuff in M2 when you move onto pathophysiology. What you don't relearn, you'll relearn for the boards. Not worth it staying a year back to relearn basic science.

I'd learn from it and move on. Are you at a P/F school?

What's the difference between R and F?

Members don't see this ad :)
Remediate means you came close to passing (within 5%). With an R grade, you take one comprehensive test during summer and if you pass that test you don't have to repeat the entire course and can move on to the next year. The R does remain on your record and is perceived more or less as a fail. If you fail the remedial exam, you can either repeat the entire year or give up. Fail means you missed passing by more than 5%. You must repeat the course, which can possibly be done at a different medical school over the summer or you can repeat the year. If you fail too many courses or if you fail any courses in a repeat year, you are dismissed.

Also, I heard that important stuff from M1 is repeated in M2 or else you can review it by yourself as you go along with the system in M2 and review the stuff.

I think the key is confidence and if you have the ability to rock M2. Barely passing some classes and even the test not only puts you in a position that you are lacking in foundation but also confidence. One year of life in the grand scheme of things is not that big of a deal. If your are US grad, I am pretty sure you will get an interview somewhere. Anytime you see the material for the second time, you will do better. Repetition makes better. Most of the time people do better second time around. They do better on the boards as well which counts a lot more than anything else. We are human beings, personal problems arise, family illness, break ups, and just life in general happens. Whatever happened in the past year, somehow or another, the material did not get registered into your memory. Whether it be study techniques or personal issues. First year is also the hardest year for everyone in terms of getting adjusted. For some people, its hard to get adjusted socially and others academic. Either way, if one year of your life will clean out all deficiencies and build your foundation and self confidence, it will reflect from years to come. Yes, its hard to tell your parents and friends and social status and etc, but your career in medicine is eternal, social status can be wiped out any second anyways, no matter what. Sometimes, we have to primarily depend on few friends here and there to help us through that phase of life (whether it be the summer or the whole year). But, if you do decide to go onto second year, use the time wisely to clean up concepts. There have been numerous cases of repeaters who have succeeded and figured out what was wrong and did well from then on. It is possible =)

Good Luck!

I think the key is confidence and if you have the ability to rock M2. Barely passing some classes and even the test not only puts you in a position that you are lacking in foundation but also confidence. One year of life in the grand scheme of things is not that big of a deal. If your are US grad, I am pretty sure you will get an interview somewhere. Anytime you see the material for the second time, you will do better. Repetition makes better. Most of the time people do better second time around. They do better on the boards as well which counts a lot more than anything else.
). But, if you do decide to go onto second year, use the time wisely to clean up concepts. There have been numerous cases of repeaters who have succeeded and figured out what was wrong and did well from then on. It is possible =)

Good Luck!

I'm sorry but repeating 1st year is not going to add that many points to the OP's step 1 score. If the OP has identified the problem and taken steps to fix it, theres no reason not to move forward. My understanding is that the issue was not that he/she did not get the basic concepts. So the OP would be going back just to get better grades for M1 and re-enforce things that are low yield for step1. Personally, i would not repeat m1 unless if i was forced to do so by the school.
The repeaters who have succeeded mostly had to repeat because they had no choice. I doubt that you will find many people who chose to repeat when given the chance to move on.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but repeating 1st year is not going to add that many point to the OP's step 1 score. If the OP has identified the problem and taken stpes to fix it, theres no reason not to move forward. My understanding is that the issue was not that he/she did not get the basic concepts. So the OP would be going back just to get better grades for M1 and re-enforce things that are low yield for step1. Personally, i would not repeat m1 unless if i was forced to do so by the school.
The repeaters who have succeeded mostly had to repeat because they had no choice. I doubt that you will find many people who chose to repeat when given the chance to move on.

Exactly. OP, I'm not much for speaking for others, but I think the majority of us here on SDN would say that your want to repeat is well-intentioned but ill-advised.

I'm sorry but repeating 1st year is not going to add that many points to the OP's step 1 score. If the OP has identified the problem and taken steps to fix it, theres no reason not to move forward. My understanding is that the issue was not that he/she did not get the basic concepts. So the OP would be going back just to get better grades for M1 and re-enforce things that are low yield for step1. Personally, i would not repeat m1 unless if i was forced to do so by the school.

I don't mean to Hijack this thread. But, in your experience (or anyone else's), does having a firm grasp on M1 concepts beneficial for learning M2 material? I heard a school admin tell a few kids one time that the better we do in M1, the easier M2 will be. Or is it just motivational BS?

Right now, your job is to pass your remediation and move on. If you are successful with this, there are no advantages of repeating your first year. In most cases, second year does not build upon first year but augments first year. If you have managed to pass everything first year, you will be fine to move onto second year.

Next, you don't want to voluntarily do anything that increases the amount of time that it takes for you to complete your four years. If you are not a dual degree student, adding years is not a good idea from a residency match standpoint. If you are attending an LCME-accredited school, you get six years to complete the four years (unless you are a dual degree student).

You can do a solid review for Step I and get a second shot at those things that troubled you during your first year which will affect your USMLE score more than repeating a year.( Even if you repeated the year, you would still have to review for Step I anyway) My guess is that you learned something or you wouldn't have passed in the first place. Build upon that knowledge base with a review and a strong second year (with your depression problems treated)so that you can move through school without looking back.

Some people (generally those that fail more than one course), NEED to repeat a year. You are not in that category. Your needs are to get your remediation done, make sure that your depression is treated properly and move onto second year with your new study skills and a full head of steam. While USMLE Step I is important, it's not worth a total repeat of a year unless you do not pass your remediation. Get things done, take a rest and move on.

You have so much more of medical school in front of you than behind you so that you have plenty of opportunities to "make up" for your less than stellar first year. Even though your first year grades might not show it, you HAVE learned that last-minute cram doesn't work well for you and your depression problems are behind you. In addition, third year is a different type of learning situation and likely, you are going to do well that year because it doesn't involve sitting in a classroom. Armed with the lessons that you DID learn about what you need for success, move forward. The odds are that you will continue to improve and will be fine on Step I which will look just fine for residency.

Right now, your job is to pass your remediation and move on. If you are successful with this, there are no advantages of repeating your first year. In most cases, second year does not build upon first year but augments first year. If you have managed to pass everything first year, you will be fine to move onto second year.

Next, you don't want to voluntarily do anything that increases the amount of time that it takes for you to complete your four years. If you are not a dual degree student, adding years is not a good idea from a residency match standpoint. If you are attending an LCME-accredited school, you get six years to complete the four years (unless you are a dual degree student).

You can do a solid review for Step I and get a second shot at those things that troubled you during your first year which will affect your USMLE score more than repeating a year.( Even if you repeated the year, you would still have to review for Step I anyway) My guess is that you learned something or you wouldn't have passed in the first place. Build upon that knowledge base with a review and a strong second year (with your depression problems treated)so that you can move through school without looking back.

Some people (generally those that fail more than one course), NEED to repeat a year. You are not in that category. Your needs are to get your remediation done, make sure that your depression is treated properly and move onto second year with your new study skills and a full head of steam. While USMLE Step I is important, it's not worth a total repeat of a year unless you do not pass your remediation. Get things done, take a rest and move on.

You have so much more of medical school in front of you than behind you so that you have plenty of opportunities to "make up" for your less than stellar first year. Even though your first year grades might not show it, you HAVE learned that last-minute cram doesn't work well for you and your depression problems are behind you. In addition, third year is a different type of learning situation and likely, you are going to do well that year because it doesn't involve sitting in a classroom. Armed with the lessons that you DID learn about what you need for success, move forward. The odds are that you will continue to improve and will be fine on Step I which will look just fine for residency.

Thank you. This post is I think what I needed to hear. Very helpful. I guess the only reason I even considered repeating is because I thought it would be a confidence boost. But if I just start second year off well, that will do.

Also,I think you are right about how I will do better third year if I can just make it there. The one class I did do well in (High Pass, almost Honoring) was the class on relating to patients and the physical exam. I do much better with active learning and interacting with people.

Last edited:
I don't mean to Hijack this thread. But, in your experience (or anyone else's), does having a firm grasp on M1 concepts beneficial for learning M2 material? I heard a school admin tell a few kids one time that the better we do in M1, the easier M2 will be. Or is it just motivational BS?

My best friend goes to the same school as you, and based on what she has told me about your curriculum you guys have a significant amount of pathology and immunology integrated into first year. Therefore, this statement is probably true for you because you will definitely expand on that stuff next year, but less applicable to me since my school has a completely different style of curriculum. Although in general, people who do really well in first year probably do really well in second year because they have good study habits or photographic memories.

Although in general, people who do really well in first year probably do really well in second year because they have good study habits or photographic memories.

True photographic memories are rare, so it's probably the former. And if it's the former, that's something that can be adjusted. A little self-analysis/honesty about how you learn best over the break you have before MS-II would go a long way for getting you where you want to be.

Just my two cents.

But, in your experience (or anyone else's), does having a firm grasp on M1 concepts beneficial for learning M2 material? I heard a school admin tell a few kids one time that the better we do in M1, the easier M2 will be. Or is it just motivational BS?

I vote "motivational BS".

MS1 is so lame. Thank the good Lord I've forgotten about almost everything that happened that year.

Nah dude don't repeat. Remediate, live, and move on and just focus hard on second year.