Bariatric Psych Evals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capsychiatrist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have experience doing bariatric psych evals? I'm very interested in this field but don't get any exposure to it in residency. How would a psychiatrist learn more about this field? I'm currently a 4th year resident who will probably work at a public sector job next year, with a 4-day work week. I would really like to find a bariatric practice where I could work on my 5th day. I could be available to complete any new evals for patients pursuing bariatric surgery, as well as possibly continue seeing any patients with psychiatric illness who did not already have a psychiatrist. Are there other psychiatrists who do this type of work and could give me some tips on how to get started? I'd also like to hear about any experiences people have had rotating through this field: did you find it to be interesting and enjoyable?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Does anyone have experience doing bariatric psych evals? I'm very interested in this field but don't get any exposure to it in residency. How would a psychiatrist learn more about this field? I'm currently a 4th year resident who will probably work at a public sector job next year, with a 4-day work week. I would really like to find a bariatric practice where I could work on my 5th day. I could be available to complete any new evals for patients pursuing bariatric surgery, as well as possibly continue seeing any patients with psychiatric illness who did not already have a psychiatrist. Are there other psychiatrists who do this type of work and could give me some tips on how to get started? I'd also like to hear about any experiences people have had rotating through this field: did you find it to be interesting and enjoyable?

Probably more often done by psychologists. I did these in the VA, and also in a private practice.

Its a niche area, so you shouldn't just wing it without reading up and having supervision of consultation available at first. That said, it not rocket science either. Its really just a good also fashioned comprehensive psychological/psychiatric evaluation with special attention to potential for clinical eating disorders, surgical expectations, and likelihood of adhering the lifestyle changes post surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably more often done by psychologists. I did these in the VA, and also in a private practice.

Its a niche area, so you shouldn't just wing it without reading up and having supervision of consultation available at first. That said, it not rocket science either. Its really just a good also fashioned comprehensive psychological/psychiatric evaluation with special attention to potential for clinical eating disorders, surgical expectations, and likelihood of adhering the lifestyle changes post surgery.

Agree, definitely done more by psychologists, although I do know one program where residents do it in their clinics.

Agree, definitely done more by psychologists, although I do know one program where residents do it in their clinics.
VCU? When I was there for the Summer Institute they were quite proud of their bariatric eval service (headed by a psychologist).