PhD/PsyD Barred from Contributing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewNeuroDemic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since graduate school, I have attempted to participate in service/volunteer capacities for multiple neuropsych organizations. I think it's important to do so, and I feel strongly about paying forward, in ways that I am able, the excellent mentorship I have received at every phase of training. As a new assistant professor, service is an important aspect of my job, or rather, it's supposed to be. I say this because I have thus far been unable to break-in into such a role in the organizations to which I belong. These organizations put out calls for applications for various opportunities, and then it seems like the same group of people are shuffled around. It's really frustrating to want to contribute but not be able to do so. I have heard similar complaints levied at APA, but these are much smaller organizations in comparison so it's disheartening to experience this club mentality elsewhere. I guess I don't have a specific question for the board, but I wanted to yell at clouds.

Members don't see this ad.

At the upper levels, at least in the org I am familiar with, the leadership is definitely well known people, but the other committees are good about diversity and ECPs in positions. In terms of the elected positions, the key is being known. All of the people I know in those positions do a good job of networking, particularly at conferences like AACN. Which makes sense, people are more likely to vote for people they know personally.

Other ways to get involved, join your state association. Leadership there is usually whoever we can con into putting in the time :) But, as for national organizations, it can be hard as an ECP, as you're usually not a familiar face with a lot of people. But, stick around long enough and people are more than happy for you to put in unreimbursed time for organizations.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who has recently gotten into some higher level positions in both Divisions and APA itself, a huge part of it is being a (positively) recognizable name--present at the org conference, respond to posts on the listserv when you can contribute expertise, publish in the journal, review abstracts for the org conference, etc. Also, I will say that my main Division is making a real effort to get ECPs in the leadership pipeline.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since graduate school, I have attempted to participate in service/volunteer capacities for multiple neuropsych organizations. I think it's important to do so, and I feel strongly about paying forward, in ways that I am able, the excellent mentorship I have received at every phase of training. As a new assistant professor, service is an important aspect of my job, or rather, it's supposed to be. I say this because I have thus far been unable to break-in into such a role in the organizations to which I belong. These organizations put out calls for applications for various opportunities, and then it seems like the same group of people are shuffled around. It's really frustrating to want to contribute but not be able to do so. I have heard similar complaints levied at APA, but these are much smaller organizations in comparison so it's disheartening to experience this club mentality elsewhere. I guess I don't have a specific question for the board, but I wanted to yell at clouds.
I'm not in Neuro but I've found it's easier to get involved in special interest groups in the organizations I'm in. Maybe see if any exist in yours?

Reactions: 1 user
Incest is academia/professional organizations? I'm shocked.

Repeat the psydr mantra, "They don't have to like you, but at a certain level, they have to respect you.”

(Which is a specific type of Freudian application)

Reactions: 1 users
Every organization I am a part of seems to be seeking committee members. That may be a good place to start and from their people will ask you to start running for leadership positions. Getting the leadership spots will happen once people know who you are and have worked with you. Otherwise, people will usually choose the person they know rather than a stranger. I don't think it is meant to keep people out but a simple human bias.

I have found similar issues in the past and had more luck in smaller more niche orgs. Of course, then you have the problem of being on a committee and having all the headaches with no pay. ;)