Barry class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone start their FAFSA yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hear anything back yet from barry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hear anything back yet from barry?

did not hear anything back from them but i called them to find out the next step, they told me to wait till june or july end for the orientation package. They are busy right now so if you email them, you may get a late response. I just call them normally.

In an email from Amy, she told me that she had heard that there is no more room on campus for next year. Has anyone else heard anything about that?

http://doitapps.barry.edu/OffCampusHousing/

You can take off at least $100 per month from these prices. Don't back down and do not act like you need it. With the fall of the market here you should expect to pay 50% of what the owner is paying on their note. You can find that info online at the miami-dade courthouse website. Divide the total plus interest for either 15 or 30 years (depending on the length of their note) and divide that by 12. Take 50% of that and you have your negotiating price for rent. People here will take advantage, so come in smart and strong.

In an email from Amy, she told me that she had heard that there is no more room on campus for next year. Has anyone else heard anything about that?
i dont think it is full yet. U r talking about Podiatry seats right or the housing? I just talked to her yesterday and they are still conducting interviews.

i dont think it is full yet. U r talking about Podiatry seats right or the housing? I just talked to her yesterday and they are still conducting interviews.

Nah..my bad..I am talking about housing spots...i already paid both my deposits..lol..So to be more clear..is it true that there is no room left in the dorms for next year?

Nah..my bad..I am talking about housing spots...i already paid both my deposits..lol..So to be more clear..is it true that there is no room left in the dorms for next year?
I just spoke with someone from grad housing and was told that due to the overwhelming demand of undergraduates; there will be no grad housing available for grad students.

I just spoke with someone from grad housing and was told that due to the overwhelming demand of undergraduates; there will be no grad housing available for grad students.

If that is true, it is crappy. What the hack are we suppose to do?

If that is true, it is crappy. What the hack are we suppose to do?

I know....I was completely shocked when she told me that. I thought they also had places reserved with hotels that offer corporate housing:confused:...I guess those are also filled. I hope they are going to accomodate us some how.

Why dont you wanna rent an apartment or house around that area?

Why dont you wanna rent an apartment or house around that area?

I guess we have no choice now, but I intially wanted to live on campus for a year because I will be comming way from CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we have no choice now, but I intially wanted to live on campus for a year because I will be comming way from CA.

I guess that's the only option we have now.

well,
I called the Barry housing dep. today and got a NO for 2008/2009 housing. I know this was confirmed before but i just wanted to confirm again.

OK so the only option i see is renting an apartment or a house. I have been checking some listings from Barry off campus listings and there are some good listings. I was wondering if anyone else wanna share apartment or house. Let me know.

Also, we have only three people in facebook group, come on guys, we need more people there so do not afraid to join the group and say hi to ur future classmates.

well,
I called the Barry housing dep. today and got a NO for 2008/2009 housing. I know this was confirmed before but i just wanted to confirm again.

OK so the only option i see is renting an apartment or a house. I have been checking some listings from Barry off campus listings and there are some good listings. I was wondering if anyone else wanna share apartment or house. Let me know.

Also, we have only three people in facebook group, come on guys, we need more people there so do not afraid to join the group and say hi to ur future classmates.

I am also looking for a roommate now...preferably a female.

what happened to all the barry people who used to frequent this thread???

On that note, where do most students live? I've been looking at places online in Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami, etc. And I'm really not sure where is the best place to live. I'll have to visit Florida sometime soon to look around...

On that note, where do you most students live? I've been looking at places online in Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami, etc. And I'm really not sure where is the best place to live. I'll have to visit Florida sometime soon to look around...

miami and miami shores would be the good areas and close to the school. most of the listings on the Barry website are very close to the school.

Hi! I will be attending barry this fall. I am from Colorado. I can't wait to live in warmer weather.:)

Where can I find the facebook for 2012? I only see 2011.

On that note, where do you most students live? I've been looking at places online in Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami, etc. And I'm really not sure where is the best place to live. I'll have to visit Florida sometime soon to look around...

Most students live in North Miami Beach or Aventura. From NMB, it's a less than 10 minute drive, and from Aventura, it's about 10-15 minute drive. I'm a second year student and live in AVentura, which is all high-rises, condos and apartments. If you have a family, you may want to explore other options around Hollywood, Miramar, Pembroke Pines.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'm the Liaison to Admissions for the Barry Podiatry Program and happy to help answer your questions.

Unfortunately, Barry Residential Life isn't offering housing for Graduate students at this time. Spots are filling up fast by undergraduate students. We were advised to let incoming students know that you may contact Residential services in June or July to see if there are any vacancies.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'm the Liaison to Admissions for the Barry Podiatry Program and happy to help answer your questions.

Unfortunately, Barry Residential Life isn't offering housing for Graduate students at this time. Spots are filling up fast by undergraduate students. We were advised to let incoming students know that you may contact Residential services in June or July to see if there are any vacancies.

Thanks for the info!

There never was on-campus housing for grad students in the past; that was just basically an experiment. They tried it last year, and just for pod students (not grad students in general). It worked pretty well, but undergrads always have to get first priority for on-campus housing. It's more important for undergrads to get the full collegiate experience (sports, student activities, dining hall, etc); also, many undergrads don't have a car and need on-campus housing. Grad students are generally assumed to have more responsibilities (hard curriculum, job/internship, significant other, etc) and less free time.

Don't worry, I started at in Miami at Barry knowing nobody, not having a car, and living 5mi from school. I think I turned out ok :). There is the off campus housing database that was posted a few posts above, or you can just look at listings in the Miami Herald, Craigs List, etc. Suberbs like Sunny Isles and Aventura are nice, but you might need a roommate unless you have financial help from spouse/family. A lot of students live in North Miami Beach, North Miami (esp 135th St), and Miami Shores.

What happened to the facebook group?

There never was on-campus housing for grad students in the past; that was just basically an experiment. They tried it last year, and just for pod students (not grad students in general). It worked pretty well, but undergrads always have to get first priority for on-campus housing. It's more important for undergrads to get the full collegiate experience (sports, student activities, dining hall, etc); also, many undergrads don't have a car and need on-campus housing. Grad students are generally assumed to have more responsibilities (hard curriculum, job/internship, significant other, etc) and less free time.

Don't worry, I started at in Miami at Barry knowing nobody, not having a car, and living 5mi from school. I think I turned out ok :). There is the off campus housing database that was posted a few posts above, or you can just look at listings in the Miami Herald, Craigs List, etc. Suberbs like Sunny Isles and Aventura are nice, but you might need a roommate unless you have financial help from spouse/family. A lot of students live in North Miami Beach, North Miami (esp 135th St), and Miami Shores.

Thanks for the info!

I guess it would make since for them to give the housing to the undergrads first, but for some reason I thought there was new housing being built specifically for Pod students.

I was checking on Craigslist and noticed a lot of good options and there were also some Barry and Pod students looking for roommates. I will check back in the fall to see whats available or if there are any new students looking for a roommate also please PM me and we can find something together.

My name is Usman. I am about 85% committed to attend Barry in Fall '08. Has anyone yet decided where to reside?:confused:

I actually spoke with Amy today...there are only a small handful of spots remaining ...so the 21 figure is far from where it is now!

Sucks for me...theyre just waiting on my MCAT which I am taking April 19th...won't get results till mid May....Surely the class will be filled up

:thumbdown:

On my interview day Amy informed my group that on campus living was not really an option. She just found out the day before that incoming undergraduate freshmen were being given priority and that if there was some open dorms they would open them for grad students. She told us to prepare as if we were going to live off campus and go from there. I would def. call her if you are looking to live on campus.

Hey silly question...just trying to figure out my schedule here..does Barry do a white coat ceremony and all that fun stuff before school actually starts? Thanks.

The white coat ceremony is the last friday in May right after your second year.

Anyone receive their award letter yet from Barry? If so, how long did it take since you sent in your fafsa and signed you MPN?

On that note, where do most students live? I've been looking at places online in Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami, etc. And I'm really not sure where is the best place to live. I'll have to visit Florida sometime soon to look around...

Most students live in Aventura, North Miami, Hollywood, Miami Beach. I live in Aventura. So do most of my friends - most within a 2-3 mile radius. It's a quick 15 minute drive to campus. North Miami, around 123rd Street, just west of Biscayne (Greenwich Village) is very affordable - and less than 10 minute drive to campus. If you're looking for a residential "feel," Aventura is full of high-rises and town homes, etc.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] for any other concerns or questions.

--
Ashish Kapila
FPMSA Liaison to Admissions
Barry University Class of 2010
[email protected]

Class is basically filled ppl! ah =(

Anyone receive their award letter yet from Barry? If so, how long did it take since you sent in your fafsa and signed you MPN?

Nothing yet.

I just wanted to meet up with fellow class mates for Barry class of 2012 and ofcourse Podiatry. Please join up here and introduce yourself.

My name is Biren and I am from Chicago.:thumbup:

I'll be attending Barry this fall too.

(however I'm wait-listed at LMU-DCOM and I am interviewing with AZCOM in May.)

Has anyone heard anything from Barry besides an email confirming their deposit has been received? Cause I haven't. Just wanna make sure I'm not alone in this.

Has anyone heard anything from Barry besides an email confirming their deposit has been received? Cause I haven't. Just wanna make sure I'm not alone in this.

Not alone!:)

havent heard anything either..on a side note..anyone know where they are living yet or looking for a roommate..let me know..

Nope, just gonna show up and listen

haha thats awsome

For those people that want to record lectures, I heard that most of the 1st year professors wont allow this anymore.

:confused:

So does that mean a note taking service is out of the question if they won't allow a recorder?

So does that mean a note taking service is out of the question if they won't allow a recorder?
It's really up to your class.

My 09 class records most lectures and posts them online as mp3s. It's generally a pretty good system that could be considered by other classes also. It will fail sometimes if a file gets lost/corrupt/bad quality or the person recording them doesn't show up, fails to post them online in a timely manner, etc so you can't be totally reliant on it.

As was mentioned, some professors won't allow recorders anymore because they are sick of having crummy attendance. That doesn't mean you couldn't have a class note service if some people just go to class, take notes, type them up, and post them online or email them to everyone.

Some professors will also make a few exam questions based on info they say in class (stuff that's not in the book/notes). Other prof also give random extra credit attendance sheets or easy pop quizzes to reward students in attendance, and the handbook states that professors can grade on attendance if they wish.

I'm of the opinion that going to class is the best way to stay caught up... esp if it's a highly visual subject like anatomy, radiology, surgery, etc. There are a few professors who just are not very effective lecturers IMO, and that is just a matter of personal preference and style as a student. By and large, going to class is the best way to learn and stay caught up, though. If you skip, you might do fine on the tests if you keep pace in the text/notes, but you have to be aware that you do risk falling dangerously behind in the class and your skipping might be construed as being fairly disrespectful to the prof. It might be hard to find good quality LORs later on down the line if most professors couldn't even pick you out of a lineup. :cool:

I like the recorder concept. I already have one.

BTW, just got a letter from BARRY financial aid office. They wanted graduate financial aid form, MPN, loan interview and my naturalization proof asap. Done :D