BARRY STUDENTS + OTHER PODS: Baja Project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IPODiatrist

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.bajaproject.org/home.html


anyone know if this project is still going on cause the website hasn't been updated in ages

also--- do any of u know of other programs that are available to pods who are interested in serving in some sort of free program for low income areas IN OR OUTSIDE of the US?
if so, were u involved in any sort of program as a student or practicing pod, and how was it?

thanks!
 
Yucatan project is an ongoing event funded by donations (both doctors' time and benefactor money). A couple Barry attendings take a group of residents travel south, meet up with Mexican docs, and do a marathon of surgeries to correct congenital clubfoot. Dr. Southerland, Barry's LEA and biomechanics prof, is usually (always?) the leader of the teams. I don't think students ever go, but maybe I'm wrong...
http://www.barry.edu/medicine/News/yucatan10thAnniversary.htm
There are also other stories on the project in APMA News and other publications from time to time.

There is also the Baja project out west. I believe that is participated in by the Botsford General Hospital pod residency program and maybe a couple Cali hospitals or residencies? You'd have to go and search.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Baja is mostly southern cali pods, but many participate. I know a resident who was in a non-cali program who was going to go to Baja.

There are lots of opportunities, you just have to look around.
Here at Azpod, I am going to Mexico in October, and will go to Guatamala in my 3rd year.

Good luck.
 
Baja is mostly southern cali pods, but many participate. I know a resident who was in a non-cali program who was going to go to Baja.

There are lots of opportunities, you just have to look around.
Here at Azpod, I am going to Mexico in October, and will go to Guatamala in my 3rd year.

Good luck.

👍 i love seeing ppl do stuff like this. i watched a video on youtube called Mission Peace where DPMs went to thailand to do surgeries there. the people where bedridden or had deformities that prevented them from walking properly and to give somebody the ability to walk again is just incredible. can you imagine not being able to dance, play outside with other kids, or just not be able to ride a bike because of foot injury/deformity? anyways, are there a lot of programs like this for dpms and are they very popular? i've heard of doctors without borders (no dpms though) and even DOs who were in china, etc. cool stuff.
 
👍 i love seeing ppl do stuff like this. i watched a video on youtube called Mission Peace where DPMs went to thailand to do surgeries there. the people where bedridden or had deformities that prevented them from walking properly and to give somebody the ability to walk again is just incredible. can you imagine not being able to dance, play outside with other kids, or just not be able to ride a bike because of foot injury/deformity? anyways, are there a lot of programs like this for dpms and are they very popular? i've heard of doctors without borders (no dpms though) and even DOs who were in china, etc. cool stuff.

There are multiple programs. For you as a student to be of use (and for it to be beneficial to you) you really need some education and background. I was planning on a mission 1/2 way through 1st year, but decided not too.
Now, once I go in October (start of 2nd year) I will have been trained on how to do H&P, podiatric exams, injection technique, basic surgery techniques etc..

Whether people want to go on medical missions per se or not, I think that innate desire to better others lives should be the driving force behind becoming a physician, podiatric or otherwise.
 
There are multiple programs. For you as a student to be of use (and for it to be beneficial to you) you really need some education and background. I was planning on a mission 1/2 way through 1st year, but decided not too.
Now, once I go in October (start of 2nd year) I will have been trained on how to do H&P, podiatric exams, injection technique, basic surgery techniques etc..

Whether people want to go on medical missions per se or not, I think that innate desire to better others lives should be the driving force behind becoming a physician, podiatric or otherwise.

^ true.

hey so how is it that u have arranged to go in oct as a 2nd yr? forgive my ignorance-- is this part of the program at AZPOD and avail. to all students? and thru what program are u going to guatemala? does it count as part of ur clinical experience?

i figure spanish fluency is mandated?
 
^ true.

hey so how is it that u have arranged to go in oct as a 2nd yr? forgive my ignorance-- is this part of the program at AZPOD and avail. to all students? and thru what program are u going to guatemala? does it count as part of ur clinical experience?

i figure spanish fluency is mandated?

Actually, I met a pod here in the community that goes to Mexico a few times a year. I don't know all the details of our guatemala trip, but our director takes a group of 3rd years every year.
I don't think spanish is mandated, but it definetly is nice. I actually have a fellow 1st year that went to Mexico, and doesn't speak a lick of Spanish.