Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters Program Fall 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMS246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a current student at Barry University's Biomedical Sciences program. Feel free to ask any questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am a current student at Barry University's Biomedical Sciences program. Feel free to ask any questions about the program.
How is the program I'm interested in applying? Any advice on application and point of view on how the program is structured ?

Students are required to take the following courses: Biochemistry I, Biochemistry II, Neuroanatomy with lab, Histology with lab, Health Law and Ethics, Gross Anatomy with lab, Human Physiology with lab, and 2 electives. If you are a pre-dental student, one of your electives must be a course titled General Dentistry – Principles & Practices. In the final semester or following completion of all coursework, students must take a Comprehensive Exam. The exam includes material from the program’s core classes (e.g., Biochemistry, Neuroanatomy, Anatomy, and Histology). To be eligible to take the comprehensive exam, students must earn a minimum 3.0 GPA for 30 semester hours with no more than 8 semester hours of C grades.

All courses are held at the College of Nursing and Health Sciences building in Hollywood, Florida. There are also 3 program options that the Admissions Committee can choose from for you:

1) “The 12 month (Accelerated) Track is a rigorous curriculum designed for students who have already completed their undergraduate pre-med/ pre-dental preparation and want to enhance their qualifications for entrance into medical or dental school.”

2) “The 18-month / 2-year Track is also designed to prepare you for acceptance to medical and dental schools, but at a slightly less rigorous pace than the 1-year accelerated program.”

3) “The Research Track is designed for students who are currently employed in the health-care industry who seek advancement in their chosen field, those who wish to "cross-over" into the biomedical fields in industry or teaching, and those who are preparing for PhD programs.”

If you are planning to begin in the fall 2015 semester, it is recommended that your application is complete by June 1st. If you are applying to the spring 2016 semester, your application should be complete by November 1st. Also, make sure that you meet the minimum requirements for admission. These requirements can be found here: https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/admissions/

The program will provide you with a broad biomedical education, which will certainly help you during the first year in a health professional school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How is the program I'm interested in applying? Any advice on application and point of view on how the program is structured ?

I am currently a Barry student and I absolutely recommend the program. I am a pre-dental student and I am doing the 18 month track. I started in January 2014. The program is designed in a way where all your classes mimic the same curriculum taught in first year dental/medical programs. The program is located on a separate campus which is nice because you'll have a easy access to all the professors and TA's for the program.

I think they are also offering programs in the summer that can help prepare you for your DAT/MCAT which is nice.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Reactions: 1 users
What are the numbers like for those who graduate from the program and applying to Dental/Med schools? I have read mixed reviews about Barry

I have read a lot bad comments about the program, i got accepted to start this Fall, but i am having second thoughts. My GPA is about 2.8 and my DAT 18, i am worry that even if i get straight A's in the program i wont be considered competitive for dental schools.
If you dont mind me asking what were ur stats before entering the program?

What are the numbers like for those who graduate from the program and applying to Dental/Med schools? I have read mixed reviews about Barry
I have read a lot bad comments about the program, i got accepted to start this Fall, but i am having second thoughts. My GPA is about 2.8 and my DAT 18, i am worry that even if i get straight A's in the program i wont be considered competitive for dental schools.

I talked to a couple of dental school advisors when I was applying and they told me that if you do really well in the masters program, they can sometimes overlook your undergraduate grades (depending on one's circumstances). I wouldn't worry too much about your undergrad if you do a masters degree anywhere really, it gives you a much bigger advantage than those applying straight from undergrad. As for my undergrad stats, I had a 3.3 overall gpa. If you get a 3.5-4.0 gpa in your masters and re-take your DAT (try to aim for an overall 20), which this program will definitely help prep you for you will have a pretty good shot with your application.

Hey! Out of the students who are graduating this semester, 21 of them have been accepted to dental school and 14 have been accepted to medical school. The average MCAT and GPA of students who were accepted into medical school were 29 and 3.65. The average DAT and GPA of students who were accepted into dental school were 20.2 and 3.54.

Last edited:

I was accepted to start medical school in Fall 2015 so my stats wouldn't really help you. However, if you do really well in the program and apply after completing it with a strong GPA and higher DAT, you are likely to get dental school interviews.

Out of the BMS students who are graduating this semester, 21 of them have been accepted to dental school and 14 to medical school.

Hey everyone,

as far as the schedule goes, what classes do you recommend to take during the same semester?

Hi! It depends on what track (e.g., 1 year track, 18 month track, 2 year track) you choose to do in the program. It also depends if you will be studying for the MCAT/DAT that semester. If you will not be preparing for the MCAT/DAT, 3 classes are manageable during the semester. For example, two core courses (e.g., Anatomy, Histology, Physiology, and Neuroanatomy) and an elective would work well together (e.g., Microbiology or Immunology). There is also an Ethics course that is required and you can take it instead of an elective that semester.

I am doing the 18 month track, do you think it is too much if I work 20 hours/ week? I am getting a transfer with my company and I don't want to go through all the process and then have to quit the first week of school

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when the program usually ends for the 1-year track?

How competitive is this program. Should I bother applying, my gpa is a 2.85

The Barry website states that a minimum of a 3.0 GPA is required to apply. However, I have seen students with a slightly lower GPA get accepted. This may be due to a high GRE/MCAT/DAT score, strong letters of recommendation, etc. However, I definitely think you should apply!
How competitive is this program. Should I bother applying, my gpa is a 2.85

I am doing the 18 month track, do you think it is too much if I work 20 hours/ week? I am getting a transfer with my company and I don't want to go through all the process and then have to quit the first week of school

In the 18 month track, you will likely be taking a minimum of 3 courses per semester. I recommend that you do not work the first semester. You should try to do very well in the program from the first semester and thus, it is important for you to go through at least the first semester with just school to see the difficulty of the material/how much time you need for studying.

Do you know when the program usually ends for the 1-year track?

If you are doing the one year track and starting in the summer, you will probably be finishing in May 2016.

The Barry website states that a minimum of a 3.0 GPA is required to apply. However, I have seen students with a slightly lower GPA get accepted. This may be due to a high GRE/MCAT/DAT score, strong letters of recommendation, etc. However, I definitely think you should apply!
I applied with a 2.95 GPA and 18 DAT and got accepted, just apply!

Hi guys, congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted! I was wondering if anyone knew whether I can use my AAMC personal statement for the statement of purpose? Thanks :)

Hi guys, congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted! I was wondering if anyone knew whether I can use my AAMC personal statement for the statement of purpose? Thanks :)
Yes, that should be fine!

If you are doing the one year track and starting in the summer, you will probably be finishing in May 2016.

I am doing the 1-year track starting in Fall, August 24, will I be able to finish prior to first day of dental school?

You would finish on time, probably sometime in June 2016.

Hey! Out of the students who are graduating this semester, 21 of them have been accepted to dental school and 14 have been accepted to medical school. The average MCAT and GPA of students who were accepted into medical school were 29 and 3.65. The average DAT and GPA of students who were accepted into dental school were 20.2 and 3.54.

How many students are graduating this semester?

How many students are graduating this semester?

I am not sure of the exact number of students graduating but its probably around 50-60 students. I think they have exact stats somewhere on the facebook group or on the barry website itself!

Hi there,

I was accepted into Barry program. I have an 18 AA on the DAT and was wondering with doing well in Barry program will I need to take my DAT again or will I not be competitive enough with that score and a well GPA?

I was accepted, but won't be attending. This school is sketch af.

Last edited:
I was accepted with a 19 AA on the DAT, but they opted to put me in the 1.5 year masters and not the accelerated one so I won't be going there. Besides, I got my acceptance to Rutgers on the same day so even if I got into the accelerated one I wasn't going to go to Barry anyways.

First off, congratulations on getting accepted to both programs! that's good news. And I understand how you feel, I also applied to the accelerated but ended up in the 18 month, but I honestly think it was the better decision because it gives you more more time to study and do better, besides dental schools won't really care if you do it in a year or a year and a half, they care more about your GPA.

You guys with the 'bms' usernames are awfully suspicious, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it really worth it to spend $50k on a program that 1) has no affiliation with a medical school and 2) is clearly inferior to real SMPs? Would like to hear what you "Barry students" have to say about this.

Is it really worth it to spend $50k on a program that 1) has no affiliation with a medical school and 2) is clearly inferior to real SMPs? Would like to hear what you "Barry students" have to say about this.

You're right in saying this program is not affiliated with a medical school however that does not make it inferior. You are basing on your opinion on something you have never experienced or been a part of. If you search reviews for the program you will see many "barry" students (including myself) talk about their experience at Barry and of course some of them like it and some of them don't (everyone is entitled to their own opinion). For me, the program worked. I did not have a high enough GPA after my undergrad to get me in, so I started this program, maintained a high GPA and got in. There are many other students in the same position as myself.
For people that are actually serious about coming to this program, I recommend that you do your research. Come visit the campus, talk to the professors, see the facilities and talk to students that are actually there to see if this program is a good fit for you.

For people that are actually serious about coming to this program, I recommend that you do your research

I'm basing my opinion on the research that I have conducted. $50k is a serious thing to think about - unless you're doing an SMP, your time is much better spent on taking classes from your state university, which will cost you considerably less.

For people that actually do the research on Barry, the program itself is quite frightening. Huge investment for very little return. Good luck to those who do it, though.

By the way, you sound more like a Barry rep. rather than a Barry student.

I've applied and still waiting to hear from them. 3.1 GPA, 21 DAT. I did get into Rutgers GSBS MBS program

You're right in saying this program is not affiliated with a medical school however that does not make it inferior. You are basing on your opinion on something you have never experienced or been a part of. If you search reviews for the program you will see many "barry" students (including myself) talk about their experience at Barry and of course some of them like it and some of them don't (everyone is entitled to their own opinion). For me, the program worked. I did not have a high enough GPA after my undergrad to get me in, so I started this program, maintained a high GPA and got in. There are many other students in the same position as myself.
For people that are actually serious about coming to this program, I recommend that you do your research. Come visit the campus, talk to the professors, see the facilities and talk to students that are actually there to see if this program is a good fit for you.

were you granted a good amount of interviews because of the masters program from barry? did some schools frown upon it?

also what classes do you recommend taking the first semester that won't be too overwhelming

were you granted a good amount of interviews because of the masters program from barry? did some schools frown upon it?

I interviewed at 4 dental schools. I think if you choose to do a masters degree at any school before you start dental school, no one would frown upon it (it makes you a more competitive applicant and shows you can handle the rigorous workload that will be thrown at you once you start dental school lol). I started with gross anatomy, immunology and general dentistry in my first semester, but I don't think they offer general dentistry anymore. I think they have new electives. Usually everyone takes gross anatomy and one or two electives if you are in the 18 month.

I interviewed at 4 dental schools. I think if you choose to do a masters degree at any school before you start dental school, no one would frown upon it (it makes you a more competitive applicant and shows you can handle the rigorous workload that will be thrown at you once you start dental school lol). I started with gross anatomy, immunology and general dentistry in my first semester, but I don't think they offer general dentistry anymore. I think they have new electives. Usually everyone takes gross anatomy and one or two electives if you are in the 18 month.

Is it doable to take 4 classes?

I got accepted to the 18 month program 19 DAT 3.0 GPA

I just got accepted into barry U today!

Just got accepted into the 2 year Dental Scholars track but I'm going to decline. I got into Rutgers GSBS program at Newark and I'd rather go there

Just got accepted into the 2 year Dental Scholars track but I'm going to decline. I got into Rutgers GSBS program at Newark and I'd rather go there
why did you pick rutgers over barry? I'm in the same boat not sure which school is better.

why did you pick rutgers over barry? I'm in the same boat not sure which school is better.
Well for one, I chose Rutgers because it's a more reputable program than Barry. Also, I got accepted into Barry's 2 year MBS, whereas at Rutgers I got accepted into the 1 year MBS program, so I'd be saving a year. Also Rutgers has their own dental school and their program offers academic advising for Rutgers School of Dentistry.

Well for one, I chose Rutgers because it's a more reputable program than Barry. Also, I got accepted into Barry's 2 year MBS, whereas at Rutgers I got accepted into the 1 year MBS program, so I'd be saving a year. Also Rutgers has their own dental school and their program offers academic advising for Rutgers School of Dentistry.
if you were accepted to both barry and rutgers for the 1 year program, which would you choose?

if you were accepted to both barry and rutgers for the 1 year program, which would you choose?

I got accepted to both Barry and Rutger's 1 year program and I'm choosing Rutger's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it doable to take 4 classes?

It depends on the class, but I chose the 18 track so I did 3 classes per term. The 1yrs usually have between 4-5 classes, so I do think it is doable.