Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters Program Fall 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In between masters in oral biology in NYU or Barry University one year track pre dental. Toughest decision of my life Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In between masters in oral biology in NYU or Barry University one year track pre dental. Toughest decision of my life Any advice?

Not sure if this helps much but Barry doesn't have a thesis requirement. We take a comprehensive exam that includes material from our core courses.

Not sure if this helps much but Barry doesn't have a thesis requirement. We take a comprehensive exam that includes material from our core courses.
Do you know if its standardized like the DAT because i AM having a really hard time achieving a great score on the DAT but if its regular questions i will be ok because i do well in my classes?

Do you know if its standardized like the DAT because i AM having a really hard time achieving a great score on the DAT but if its regular questions i will be ok because i do well in my classes?

It is much easier than the DAT/MCAT. The questions are straightforward and if you know the course material and performed well on the exams in the courses, you will do well.

It is much easier than the DAT/MCAT. The questions aogre straightforward and if you know the course material and performed well on the exams in the courses, you will do well.
If you are the type of student that studies a lot is this program an enhancer? i AM thinking of picking barry because if i do not get accepted to dental school they already prepared me for PA or other med fields. I got accepted into the one year is it very hard?

If you are the type of student that studies a lot is this program an enhancer? i AM thinking of picking barry because if i do not get accepted to dental school they already prepared me for PA or other med fields. I got accepted into the one year is it very hard?

This program will definitely help you in your first year in a health professional school. The one year program is intense but if you were selected for that track then the administration is very confident that you will successfully complete it. You will likely be taking at least 4 courses per semester.

for those who have done the 18 month track or doing the 18 month track were you able to complete it by the time dental school began?

This program will definitely help you in your first year in a health professional school. The one year program is intense but if you were selected for that track then the administration is very confident that you will successfully complete it. You will likely be taking at least 4 courses per semester.
How long is the one year program ? like what are the months

Also I'm considering applying this cycle but don't start Barry program until fall 2015. Would it be a good idea to include that I will be starting my masters in the fall even though I will not have any transcripts or grades or should I not include it in my application at all?

for those who have done the 18 month track or doing the 18 month track were you able to complete it by the time dental school began?
I did the 18 month track and I am on the medical track. I was able to complete it on time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I'm considering applying this cycle but don't start Barry program until fall 2015. Would it be a good idea to include that I will be starting my masters in the fall even though I will not have any transcripts or grades or should I not include it in my application at all?

Yes include it on your application. There will be an option on the application that allows you to indicate the courses that you plan on taking.

Yes include it on your application. There will be an option on the application that allows you to indicate the courses that you plan on taking.

Do you think it will hinder my application and have them wait list me since I will not have any grades record before I send in my application

Do you think it will hinder my application and have them wait list me since I will not have any grades record before I send in my application

That's up to the school, you would need to contact the designated school to find out for sure what they would do (waitlist, etc). However, I think that having a Masters Program on your application (whether completed or currently enrolled) will benefit you and make you more competitive against applicants who do not have it.

are the classes very big or small? and is it easy to approach professors for extra help?

are the classes very big or small? and is it easy to approach professors for extra help?

Class size depends on whether the course is a core class or an elective. I would say that a core class has about 50-60+/- and an elective will likely have about 25-40+/- (it depends on the elective and semester). Professors are very approachable and available to help students. They all have designated office hours and you can make appointments as well. We also have teaching assistants that are available for tutoring.

I forgot to mention that the teaching assistants are students who have completed the program so they know the material very well and can provide excellent study tips and help you understand the course material.

what courses are offered during the summer term?

what courses are offered during the summer term?
Courses can differ every summer term. Typically, one of the core courses that is offered every summer is Human Physiology. Courses offered this summer are Human Physiology, Health Law and Ethics, Histology, Forensic Pathology, and Medical Microbiology.

Are the classes all at night?
Course times can change every semester. However, most class times are in the morning or afternoon. Throughout my time in the program, I only had one class that began around 6pm.

If you are unable to start the program in the Fall, you can apply for Spring admission, which begins in January 2016.

If you have any questions about the program or your application to medical/dental school, you can PM me or ask them here.

When does classes start and orientation ?

I'm not sure but I'm guessing they will begin sometime mid-late August. You will definitely get an email soon that will provide you with this information.

You're right in saying this program is not affiliated with a medical school however that does not make it inferior. You are basing on your opinion on something you have never experienced or been a part of. If you search reviews for the program you will see many "barry" students (including myself) talk about their experience at Barry and of course some of them like it and some of them don't (everyone is entitled to their own opinion). For me, the program worked. I did not have a high enough GPA after my undergrad to get me in, so I started this program, maintained a high GPA and got in. There are many other students in the same position as myself.
For people that are actually serious about coming to this program, I recommend that you do your research. Come visit the campus, talk to the professors, see the facilities and talk to students that are actually there to see if this program is a good fit for you.

Hello,

Could you please tell me more information about how successful students are after completing their masters in getting to medical school. Seems like everyone is trying to go the dental track. I recently got accepted and I am trying to get get a better understanding about how successful I will be if I am trying to to med, I cant really find any one else on sdn who is going the med route with them. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Could you please tell me more information about how successful students are after completing their masters in getting to medical school. Seems like everyone is trying to go the dental track. I recently got accepted and I am trying to get get a better understanding about how successful I will be if I am trying to to med, I cant really find any one else on sdn who is going the med route with them. Thank you!
at least 60% of students who graduated on Medical Track got accepted into various medical schools. This year at least 20 students have been accepted into various medical schools. I think they have approximately same number of students on medical and dental track in the program….
You can see this page some medical acceptances for this year: https://tagboard.com/barrybms/search

Hello everyone. I got accepted for the 18 month dental track and start this Fall. I talked to director and orientation starts Thursday August 18 and classes start Monday August 22. I am looking for a place to stay and a roommate. Anyone else in the same situation?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. I got accepted for the 18 month dental track and start this Fall. I talked to director and orientation starts Thursday August 18 and classes start Monday August 22. I am looking for a place to stay and a roommate. Anyone else in the same situation?
Congratulations on your acceptance! Have you joined the facebook page yet ? there is a lot of people sending announcements looking for roommate, also if you needed a list of places close to barry in hollywood area you can contact office and they will provide you with the names and phone numbers. I live in emerald hills about 12 mins away from barry, neighborhood is nice and affordable.

I'm a BMS Alumni I'm currently looking for a roommate the roommate I currently have got into dental school so is moving out next month. I live in monarch lakes townhouse in a gated community which is in west Miramar about 15-20mins from Barry(the nicer part of the city). Im looking for any females who need a place to live especially the upcoming class please send them my way. I have pics and all they would have their own room, bathroom and walk in closet. contact me at [email protected]