Barry University - Post-Bac/BMS Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

911Med

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNrs -

Does anyone out there know much about the Barry University Post-Bac/BMS (MS) degree? I was accepted on Friday.

Here's the scoop - I need the post-bac to tighten up a few grades and pick up a few classes. The Master's would be nice to prove that I can handle upper level sciences too.

My question - I will be applying to only MD programs, maybe even MD/PhD.

Is this totally geared towards DO?

I have read all the threads on Barry so far - anyone have any new thoughts, comments, experiences? Living costs? etc.

Yeah, it is in Miami - but party cities are the reason behind my matriculation at a post-bac program.

I noticed that they also have a direct linkage to St. George's - what is the honest consensus on this place?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I'm actually very impressed with what I know about the program. I'm taking a year off before applying to post-bac programs but Barry really caught my eye. The post-bac part doesn't seem that special -- really just geared towards getting students into the BMS program -- but I cannot imagine that Medical schools could be anything but very impressed with a strong transcript coming out of this BMS program. A masters degree taken with Pod students? You can handle the tough stuff.

However, most of what I have read suggests that this is a definite DO feeder school. I myself am actually looking into going the Dental route so I don't think I have much to fear but you may seriously want to consider looking into another program. MD schools just don't seem to be too impressed with Barry grads. You may want to check into bigger programs like Columbia, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, or Mills. They have very strong acceptance rates into MD SCHOOLS (Barry brags a 79% acceptance rate... which presumably consists of a great deal of DO, DMD students). I still like the school a lot, however. Miami Shores is not directly in Miami but is rather the very wealthy northern suburb. I would call the director (a very outgoing gentleman who I talked with a couple times) and flat out ask him what Barry's acceptance rate is for students applying to Medical School. I, myself, would be very interested in his response.

Best of luck,
Matt

And your name is 911... are you an EMT? I'm getting my EMT-B this summer and would really like to hear from someone who's been at it for awhile.

Thanks for the reply brother.

I've done some pretty hardcore intel on Barry and from what I can see - the BMS program looks to be pretty hard core - a great curriculum: anatomy, histo, biochem, etc.

I'm looking for the best advising staff and school reputation that leads to a US MD program.

I'm a medical researcher now - (drug development) and the large pharma that I work for opts for MD's not DO's - (its them, not me people, please DO's, do not contact me - I love you all)

I interviewed and was rejected at U Penn.
Rejected at Loyola
Rejected at Tufts
Rejected at American

Goucher - Fourgetaboutit - great program - super tough to get into.

I'm going to fly to Miami and check it out. I want to walk around and get a feel for the profs and school - I'm from La Jolla, CA - so I could care less about palm trees.

Will talk to the dean - thanks again.

C'mon people I need more info!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey 911, I'm a student in Los Angeles, CA and I applied to the Barry program last week. I haven't heard back from them yet but man.. i dont know. There is something about their brochures and info that makes me feel like the program is a rip-off. It's pretty expensive, their undergrad is not rated, and i get the strange feeling that they would feed us all into St. Georges in the Carribbean. Don't get me wrong, St. Georges is probably one of the strongest offshore schools, but why do a bio master's program only to graduate outside of the US? It's like wasting an entire year. What I'm saying is that with a decent GPA (like 3.2) and an average MCAT (25-27) you could probably directly gain admission to St. Georges! Mackchops could be right too.. barry might be more of a DO, DDS, and DVM feeder school..

Just my 2 cents... I could be totally wrong about all this.. I guess I'll visit the place if I get in. In the meantime, I hope I get an acceptance... it would be really helpful to see their MD US acceptance rate and not their "total" professional school acceptance rate (79%).

Anybody else have any first-hand experience or thoughts to share?

Hey guys, I applied earlier this year and havent really heard anything because I havent taken my MCAT yet. Ill be taking it in about 11 days :eek: . But I was just wondering what your scores and stats were like?? Also, do any of you know how many students are accepted into the program??? Did they interview prior to acceptance, what questions did they ask?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-mike

Hey everyone,

I also applied to Barry University-M.S. program-1year accelerated program, I am trying to get into dental school for next year and I was wondering if you think it would help my chances- anymore info would greatly be appreciated, thanks

Rupesh

Definitely my friend. Thats what programs like these are for. My buddy is doing the sdame thing for dental, but he got accepted to the 2 yr program.

Good Luck

Anymore news on Barry especially the % acceptance to U.S. MD schools? Did anyone visit this place? Can anyone provide some insight into the curriculum, costs, living, etc.., I am pondering attending but don't know much about this place at all. The above posts have helped but still many questions remain. Thanks in advance.

my friends sister is in the post bacc pre med program at Barry. I don't know much about it but I have heard a much higher acceptance right for barry not 79% more like 89-90% acceptance into med schools. I can't tell u offhand but check out their website or ask for some program info I'm sure that might give u more info on what yer looking for.
I have heard most post bacc programs have a strong acceptance rate to med schools. You know down the road....it really doesn't matter what med school u graduated from a doctor is highly respected in any which way! from a carribean med school to JHU!

I just got my acceptance letter. Any word yet on MD (not DO) acceptance rates? I'll probably give the program director a call this week.

What up

Youre from CALI, so why not apply to UCSD, UCSF, or UCLA, those schools require CA residency....maybe im not well versed in it, but thats what i found

911Med said:
Thanks for the reply brother.

I've done some pretty hardcore intel on Barry and from what I can see - the BMS program looks to be pretty hard core - a great curriculum: anatomy, histo, biochem, etc.

I'm looking for the best advising staff and school reputation that leads to a US MD program.

I'm a medical researcher now - (drug development) and the large pharma that I work for opts for MD's not DO's - (its them, not me people, please DO's, do not contact me - I love you all)

I interviewed and was rejected at U Penn.
Rejected at Loyola
Rejected at Tufts
Rejected at American

Goucher - Fourgetaboutit - great program - super tough to get into.

I'm going to fly to Miami and check it out. I want to walk around and get a feel for the profs and school - I'm from La Jolla, CA - so I could care less about palm trees.

Will talk to the dean - thanks again.

C'mon people I need more info!!!

HEY GUYS.
I am at Barry RIGHT NOW doing the program. ASK ME ANYTHING!!

Hey RUPVESH,
PLEASE contact me about this Program. I have important advice for you. I am there now doing the program.

Lynda

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you give us a general sense of what Barry is like. How is the curriculum? Is this a feeder program for St. George and D.O. schools? What is the allopathic acceptance rate? How is housing? What is the cost (real cost to you not the listed one). Will this program, given you work hard and excel, give you a real chance at obtaining acceptance to a MD or D.O school? I'm curious about the location as well; I am not from Florida. Anything else you can think of. Cheers.

hey lynda,

I just emailed you and sent you a pm, my box was full, if you could reply back I really appreciate it, thanks alot

well i know the location surrounding barry is not the best place, but its only about 10-15 min. from south beach :D Plus i seen alot of hot girls around the school.(If that helps) but i dont know nothing about the program.I live in broward.

Hey everyone, I applied in early January, but my application hasnt even been looked at because they needed an MCAT(which I just took 3 weeks ago). Do any of you know if there is a minimum gpa, and MCAT score for the one year program. And if they do, how strict are they at enforcing it?? Thanks in advance!! :thumbup:

For the one year I believe you need a GPA of 3.2 and an MCAT of 24 or higher. Otherwise your in the 2 year. Just going off of what they told me when I called. They are strict about it.

To all:

I am in the BMS program at Barry. I believe it is a great program as is any program that will provide you with both a Masters degree and feed you the same curriculum that you would have in medical school. Please call the Dean/Program Director. He is very knowledgeable and honest and will be more than happy to answer your questions.

scoobymd

hey ya'll,

i just recieved word that I got into barry's one year accelerated program, so i'll definetly have to miami and check out the program more in depth

anymore info on the program would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I also found out that I have gotten in! I am from Florida (Panama City currently residing in Jacksonville) and I'm excited to be in Miami although I am in the 1 year program and will probably not opt for the 2 year program.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about getting housing? I graduated from Notre Dame and I have a really close friend who is also going there (we'd probably live together).

Right now I'm still waiting on Finch and Georgetown...chances don't seem too great but I'm hoping for an answer soon :)

Any input on living would be helping...just to let you know the situation, I'm a guy and my friend is a girl so I don't know if we could get an on-campus double...

Hey,

Quick question. I am applying to the program for this fall, and wanted to know what you guys included in your Statement of Purpose. I already finished mine, but have not submitted it yet. Just wanted to see if I was on the right track. Thanks.

you don't get a degree with this program though, only a certificate

to mightymouse...isn't the application already due? I put basically what I thought a doctor should be defined as and then included details on things i've done and what i plan to do in the future. I got my acceptance 2 weeks ago, Barry gives VERY fast replies which I like...I'm still waiting for Georgetown, Loyola and Finch

Yo Supa,

I had already submitted my application back in May... They just needed my Statement of Purpose which i sent out last week. Just wondering what people wrote in it. The deadline is July 15th..

I did the program a couple of years ago and it got me 7 interviews and 4 acceptances afterwards, so its a program that led to great success for me and many others that I know. PM me if you want to know more about it and for any advice about the BMS program.

SupaYeLLowDawg said:
you don't get a degree with this program though, only a certificate

I got confused. Are you referring to the UM post bacc or the Barry BMS program? You do get a Masters in Biomedical Science degree from Barry.

Hey you guys can have my spot -
(post-bac / BMS Master's Program)
I went down there and checked it out - just wasn't a good fit for me.

Your right - very fast turn around from the University.
Info following acceptance is poor, unless you send them that $500 confirmation check.

Enjoy Miami.

I hope you're not making your judgement on the overall appearance of the undergrad campus....because its pretty poor, even for a small private university. I can assure you though that everything you will be using (lecture halls, histology labs, and gross anatomy labs) are well on par of most medical schools, just smaller.

SolidGold said:
I hope you're not making your judgement on the overall appearance of the undergrad campus....because its pretty poor, even for a small private university. I can assure you though that everything you will be using (lecture halls, histology labs, and gross anatomy labs) are well on par of most medical schools, just smaller.

I'm sure the curriculum is amazing. I have heard that the academics are top notch and it has a great success rate.
I just have a hard time studying amidst that back drop and area.
I am making the adult decision not to tempt myself with South Beach and the other spoils of Miami.
I am a weak man in that regards, plus, I was accepted to a program closer to my family: translate = save cash.

p.s. I stayed in South Beach when I visited the school. We were having coctails outside at the Raliegh and Britney fell out of her black Chevy truck ten feet from me. "Big Black Rob" - I guess that is his actual name, the bodyguard, had to come over and pick her up.
I choked on my beer laughing.

911Med said:
I am making the adult decision not to tempt myself with South Beach and the other spoils of Miami.

I sure do miss Miami (I'm from there), Tampa is a nice place and all, but its NOT Miami.

SupaYeLLowDawg said:
i'm a little excited for miami :)

May the force be with you.
Have a mojita for me.
:)

you don't get a master's degree with the university of miami post bacc, only a certificate

What are the minimum GPA and MCAT score for the Barry 1yr. program?

How does it work if someone starts in the spring semester vs. fall semester?

How challenging are the classes for someone who is trying to make up for a bad undergraduate performance?

I am also looking at the Barry program. I would contact Jocylen Goulet and request a post bac package. They sent me some brochures and a grad catalog which was very helpful. I was able to send him my AMCAS app and he looked at it before we talked on the phone. Some of the questions I had he was not able to answer so he conferenced me right into Dr. Laudan's line and he answered those questions.

Is anyone at Barry right now an up to discussing their thoughts now that they joined the program?

Thanks,
Marcia

moni1999 said:
What are the minimum GPA and MCAT score for the Barry 1yr. program?

How does it work if someone starts in the spring semester vs. fall semester?

How challenging are the classes for someone who is trying to make up for a bad undergraduate performance?
24 MCAT, 3.0 GPA for the 1-year program. I think there are better programs out there (I'm assuming you're considering US allo. For other professional schools such as osteopathic medicine, dentistry, etc. it probably fares better. I think some of the teachers are even from Nova). I contacted someone who was in the program awhile ago and she said that the students in the one-year program were having trouble keeping their GPA up. So it seems like the program is pretty challenging, BUT US allo schools don't seem to view it as favorably as programs like G-Town, BU, VCU, etc (and it would suck to work your butt off and not get the results you seek). I can PM you (or anyone else interested) the info that I got from a student in the program if you're interested.