Barry vs. Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pod88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen threads like this, but not quite the same. I've narrowed down my decision to be between Barry University and Western. I've made tons of pros and cons lists, and they are still so even. I love the sports medicine aspect in Barry and the large latin american influence there since I want to be a truly bilingual Podiatrist. But then again, being in California and close to home, and being with Dr. Harkless is something that I definitely can't look over as well. So I was just wondering what all of your thoughts were on this decision. Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you be truly bilingual in California?!

Can't you be truly bilingual in California?!

Definitely! But there was a much larger latin american influence in the Miami area and in the clinic that we visited. Spanish seemed to be a much more important necessity at barry than at western. I lived in south america for a number of years, and the cuban and puerto rican culture in Miami is more similar to what I'm familiar with rather than the Meican culture found more in Pomona.

Members don't see this ad :)
Op is correct, the Latin influence in Miami is much greater than that of Pomona. Just returned from my interview and about 95% of the people I encountered in a weekend in Miami assumed I spoke Spanish fluently. This is a much greater number that I have experienced in LA my whole life. I personally can't comment on Western, but what I gathered from Barry was the care they showed for their students. Dr. Jensen also was very cool to talk to and definitely seemed to be there for the students. Anyway goodluck with your decision, I was in the same position you are with Barry and another school.

If you're from California Western sounds like a great choice... But wouldn't it be great to get out and see something else?

I second dyk's comment. It's only four years. If you want to practice in Cali do your clerkships and residency there (even that isn't required).

It sorta seems like western has arguably better stats at the moment, but as long as you aren't in the lower 15% of your class, that really doesn't matter.

Also, I don't know how many times I have to say this on here before the point comes across, but go to the school with the best women. The clear winner is Barry.

go to the place that's the cheapest.

I second dyk's comment. It's only four years. If you want to practice in Cali do your clerkships and residency there (even that isn't required).

It sorta seems like western has arguably better stats at the moment, but as long as you aren't in the lower 15% of your class, that really doesn't matter.

Also, I don't know how many times I have to say this on here before the point comes across, but go to the school with the best women. The clear winner is Barry.

:rolleyes:

PM me if you have more questions about Barry that I could answer for you. I am from Cali, came to Barry and will be doing my residency outside of Cali as well. I am interested in working on Cali when all is said and done. You don't have to go to school or residency where you want to settle. Florida was an amazing 3.5 years for me. You will not have another experience like this anywhere else. It is a different country down here in south Florida.