Basal Ganglia question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elektra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about parkinson disease and basal ganglia

I know Basal Ganglia have two pathways ,in wich the Globus Pallidus acts as a break, The Direct One is related with movement (by inhibition the globus pallidus =no break on) and the Indirect Pathway is related with resting conditions or no movements (by positive stimuly of the globus pallidus by subthalamus= break on)

If Parkinson is a degeneration of Substancia Nigra and this degeneration causes and increase in activity of the Indirect Pathway due to lesion of the direct pathway (that means no movement=break on) I dont understand the distal tremor in these patients? :confused:

Please help me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

elektra said:
I have a question about parkinson disease and basal ganglia

I know Basal Ganglia have to pathways ,in wich the Globus Pallidus acts as a break, The Direct One is related with movement (by inhibition the globus pallidus =no break on) and the Indirect Pathway is related with resting conditions or no movements (by positive stimuly of the globus pallidus by subthalamus= break on)

If Parkinson is a degeneration of Substancia Nigra and this degeneration causes and increase in activity of the Indirect Pathway (that means no movement=break on) I dont understand the distal tremor in these patients? :confused:

Please help me!!!

This is one of those things that is best left unstudied. It will not be on the boards. It has to do with the ventral intermediate nucleus of the thalamus and slowed (I think) response from muscle spindles. Some guy at UC davis Center for neuroscience did a talk on it and the board was right outside my lab...if you want details, I cant give them to you cause I don't know other than to say, nobody really knows.

Elektra?? Who's elektra?!;-)

Parkinson's disease IS complicated. I would agree with the above poster. This will not be a focus for the test. Recognize the clinical vignette of the patient with PD. Understand how we treat it. Remember the triad of normal pressure hydrocephalus, as that is a great foil for on questions with PD.

Thank you guys for your advice, Its good to know that you dont have to know everything for the USMLE :thumbup: