Baseline diagnostic score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaDaniel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the free kaplan practice exam- the 2.5 hour one. I am just beginning to study for the mcat and it has been several years since I have taken classes that cover the material. I took this test as a diagnostic to determine my baseline understanding. I scored a 492- which I know isn't great. I'm just curious if anyone has any constructive criticism on how much time I should take to relearn the material and what my chances are of drastically improving this score in three months. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This baseline diagnostic score does not mean anything. First of all, it is not representative of the real exam (2.5 hrs vs. 7.5 hours) and second of all you just began studying. Many if not all people drastically improve their scores, just keep practicing and use your FL exam results to guide you in which weak areas you need to focus on.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

The difference between my daignostic score and exam 1 was 7 points. Study hard. Study smart.

Diagnostics don't matter - hit the content review hard. My first Kaplan test was a 488. I took the MCAT 2 weeks ago (still waiting for score), but had 507 on AAMC FL1

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To go along with what everyone has said don't put too much weight on the diagnostic. For what its worth my diagnostic was 494 and actual score was 516. Also, a lot of the prep is just getting used to the exam. I saw the biggest jump diagnostic to exam 1 as I got used to the type and style of questions.

To go along with what everyone has said don't put too much weight on the diagnostic. For what its worth my diagnostic was 494 and actual score was 516. Also, a lot of the prep is just getting used to the exam. I saw the biggest jump diagnostic to exam 1 as I got used to the type and style of questions.
for how long did u study for the mCAt? scheduled for April 28, just started content review, feeling overwhelmed now. will start Kaplan course 2/21/2017. diagnostic 480. would appreciate any advice from you.

for how long did u study for the mCAt? scheduled for April 28, just started content review, feeling overwhelmed now. will start Kaplan course 2/21/2017. diagnostic 480. would appreciate any advice from you.

I studied ~90 days for the MCAT. I was hoping to study for 100 but the testing schedule where I live didn't cooperate. Also, fell free to PM me any other questions you have.

I agree with what everyone is saying. My diagnostic and actual exam were about 1.5 months apart, and my scores increased 26 points. Don't place too much value in the diagnostic. It's made to be hard so you're happier with your actual score on test day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Don't fret! My kaplan diagnostic was 486. I took that 2 months ago and my most recent FL was 499. I advise doing as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. You'll notice the content repeats itself. Eventually you'll get used to the exam and you won't get tired during it.

There was someone on here that worked for Kaplan and stated that the average diagnostic score was a 484 or something like that. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

There was someone on here that worked for Kaplan and stated that the average diagnostic score was a 484 or something like that. If I can find it, I'll post the link.
Any luck on that link? How can the average be that low? is the diagnostic that hard or the people here just scoring that much higher than everyone else? Can someone really expect to go from a 480-ish to a 515+?