Basic Research vs. MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think residency programs would feel as though someone with extensive basic research experience AND an MBA may not really know what he/she wants to do? It's impossible to have a career in clinical practice, research, AND administration at the same time. The dilemma is that some competitive residencies practically require research (basic research is especially favorable), so it's risky not to have any. At the same time, doing basic research as an MD-MBA may send a negative message.

Members don't see this ad.

i've just finished the interview trail and this has been my experience:
first i have no basic science research and i was open about getting an MBA either during residency (in place of basic science research) or getting one after completing residency. the answer in my opinion depends upon the program and what kind of resident they are looking for. some of the programs are very very academic and want basic science research before and during residency -- they want to produce academic surgeons. some want to help you achieve your career goals, and so are open to getting an MBA in place of BS research.

your challenge will be to find the programs that are more non-traditional and have an interest in allowing your to pursue your career goals, especially if they are not to an academic surgeon. ultimately, you need to decide if you want to be a doctor or a businessperson, and then choose a residency that will best help you to get there. i'd be happy to share with you the programs that i went to that were more open to non-traditional training with basic science research not a priority. email me at [email protected]

hope this helps
greg

Does anyone think residency programs would feel as though someone with extensive basic research experience AND an MBA may not really know what he/she wants to do? It's impossible to have a career in clinical practice, research, AND administration at the same time. The dilemma is that some competitive residencies practically require research (basic research is especially favorable), so it's risky not to have any. At the same time, doing basic research as an MD-MBA may send a negative message.

Not at all. Do both! The more you can talk about at an interview the better. If you can tie your research into your MBA education even better. You could even talk about how the MBA provides you with the skills to economically evaluate findings from research.

>clinical practice, research, AND administration at the same time
Difficult, yes, but not impossible. I have seen people do it. And maybe not at the exact time. One field will always get more attention than another. Plus, in residency you are not going to have time for administration.

I would be happy to talk with you further about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you think about it, the chairman of any academic program are clinicians, researchers, AND administrators...

Thanks for the info. I just joined a research lab and will be hearing from my MBA program in the next few weeks.