basic science NBME Shelf score percentiles?

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone know what the pre clinical NBME shelf exam scores translate as a percentile?

I understand that 500 is the mean.. but anyone know what a 550 is? 600? 650? (ie: how many points per SD?) If a 350 is a 7% on the biochem, is a 350 a 7% on the physio shelf?

Did some searching here and on google and couldn't really find anything useful.. anyone else got some insights into this question?

ForbiddenComma

Tanned for Bowling
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Oct 16, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      They should tell you your percentile at the same time as your raw score... if not, bug your professor. You can also usually guess what it is from the grade you get.

Incidentally, did anyone else feel like the path shelf hit like a mack truck? :(

sanche60

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 21, 2005
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Anyone know what the pre clinical NBME shelf exam scores translate as a percentile?

I understand that 500 is the mean.. but anyone know what a 550 is? 600? 650? (ie: how many points per SD?) If a 350 is a 7% on the biochem, is a 350 a 7% on the physio shelf?

Did some searching here and on google and couldn't really find anything useful.. anyone else got some insights into this question?

550~70th percentile in the nation
        600~83rd
        650~91st
        if you want to convert your three digit score to a board score estimation go here:
        http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator/

yeah, i know the nbme score they are referring to is the step 1 practice test, but nbme uses the same scale for that test as well, i think.

Last edited:
        About the Ads

doctorp82

Palpating preschoolers
        10+ Year Member
        Dec 22, 2006
        1. Medical Student
          550~70th percentile in the nation
          600~83rd
          650~91st
          if you want to convert your three digit score to a board score estimation go here:
          http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator/

yeah, i know the nbme score they are referring to is the step 1 practice test, but nbme uses the same scale for that test as well, i think.

When you take a CBSSA for step 1, it gives you a conversion for that.

sanche60

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jul 21, 2005
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            the percentages i posted were from a chart given to us from nbme via a prof. I gave that link just in case you wanted to get cute.

Last edited:

doctorp82

Palpating preschoolers
            10+ Year Member
            Dec 22, 2006
            1. Medical Student
              the percentages i posted were from a chart given to us from nbme via a prof. I gave that link just in case you wanted to get cute.

But a path only exam doesn't translate to a step 1 score, that's all. It's just not wise in my opinion to get excited if you rock your path shelf and see a great step 1 score on this, because you're not taking into account the other disciplines of step 1. Plus, you're comparing a shelf score on one exam to a pool of subjects who took a totally different test. It doesn't go to reason that someone should believe they're going to break 240-250 on step 1 by plugging in a test score from some different test into this calculator.

I'm not disbelieving your percentages. I'm simply saying that the medfriends score estimator doesn't translate those scores that way.

sanche60

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jul 21, 2005
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                But a path only exam doesn't translate to a step 1 score, that's all. It's just not wise in my opinion to get excited if you rock your path shelf and see a great step 1 score on this, because you're not taking into account the other disciplines of step 1. Plus, you're comparing a shelf score on one exam to a pool of subjects who took a totally different test. It doesn't go to reason that someone should believe they're going to break 240-250 on step 1 by plugging in a test score from some different test into this calculator.

I'm not disbelieving your percentages. I'm simply saying that the medfriends score estimator doesn't translate those scores that way.

that was my contention the whole time bro. not trying to argue with you, i was just trying to allow the op to put it in perspective of the step 1. obviously its not refelective of the entire step 1 thats why i hinted at that in my previous posts. i didnt think i had to spell it out like you put it though, i thought that was common sense.

Last edited:

shivasHeroLike

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Oct 2, 2006
                1. Medical Student
                  i look at shelf score percentiles as an indicator of how well i did compared to the average US medical student.
                  Since the average US medical student gets around a 225 on step1 and if i happen to be scoring above average on my shelf scores.. then i can get a rough estimate to where i stand.

doctorp82

Palpating preschoolers
                  10+ Year Member
                  Dec 22, 2006
                  1. Medical Student
                    that was my contention the whole time bro. not trying to argue with you, i was just trying to allow the op to put it in perspective of the step 1. obviously its not refelective of the entire step 1 thats why i hinted at that in my previous posts. i didnt think i had to spell it out like you put it though, i thought that was common sense.

:thumbup: No worries. You didn't have to spell it out. I just didn't want someone to think "OH I'm going to get a 270 on step 1!"

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.