Basic science research as MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laker55

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 applying IM in the next cycle with the end-goal being heme/onc fellowship. I have had a couple of research opportunities arise recently. One is clinical with a couple pub opportunities and posters/abstracts I'll be able to help with and the other is basic science working on CAR-T therapy. I currently have 3 publications but I'd like to do all I can to match at a solid academic IM program and set myself up well for applying to fellowship. I know the next few months will be busy but I also will have a good amount of free time during 4th year and can use research electives to give me time in the lab.

Any thoughts on starting basic science work near the end of 3rd year?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not.

I'm a big proponent of getting basic science research exposure if you can as it can elevate you and help you stand out against the scores of students who do a bunch of crappy clinical pubs. But it's also not something where you can parachute in for 2-3 months and expect to get anything publishable, or even develop any durable skills that you could develop for eventual fellowship. If you just have a few months for research electives, then check research box with clinical papers and then target academic fellowship where you will actually get protected time to go into the lab if that's something you want.

Reactions: 3 users