CSnowFoxD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2007
lalaland
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

This is probably a loooong shot but I thought I'd try and ask to see if anyone knows...

From other threads in the forum it seems like clinical research is easier to get published and it takes a bigger time investment to get published in basic science research but at the same time it means more to residencies?

My question is if anyone has ever heard that certain specialties might generally prefer basic science over clinical or vice versa? Just as a hypothetical (stereotypical...) example, maybe pathology people like to see basic science on med student CVs...?

Or are residencies in certain areas (say...CA :p) more basic science/clinical research oriented and thus people with that type of research do better gtting into residencies there?

Disclaimer: There are definitely other factors that affect how you look to programs but lets say all others being equal...

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Hey guys,

This is probably a loooong shot but I thought I'd try and ask to see if anyone knows...

From other threads in the forum it seems like clinical research is easier to get published and it takes a bigger time investment to get published in basic science research but at the same time it means more to residencies?

My question is if anyone has ever heard that certain specialties might generally prefer basic science over clinical or vice versa? Just as a hypothetical (stereotypical...) example, maybe pathology people like to see basic science on med student CVs...?

Or are residencies in certain areas (say...CA :p) more basic science/clinical research oriented and thus people with that type of research do better gtting into residencies there?

Disclaimer: There are definitely other factors that affect how you look to programs but lets say all others being equal...

The clinical vs. bench reseach question is one that's going to be heavily program dependent IF they have a preference. I would assert that for most specialties, the overall opinion is going to be fairly close to neutral, with some programs on each end of the spectrum. How the program interprets that is going to be dependent on what THEIR focus is throughout most of their faculty.

That said, there are likely some fields where the tilt is heavily toward doing bench research - rad onc certainly stands out given how many sucessful applicants have PhD's and the like. Pathology seems like one where the applicability if it was path related would be favored.

Generally, this question is most important when you're going into fellowship, or if you plan on going to one of the centers where the residency program has a built in research year. If you're a standard applicant in something like IM or Gen Surg or Peds, than any research is better than no research and then what matters most is how you can "spin" it so that it's in the best possible light.