Basically Failed My First Year of College. How do I get back on track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naaanah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know this might be something you hear about a lot but I really need help. I am currently in the spring semester of my first year and I've realized that I failed my first year of college. I failed my fall semester with a low GPA of 2.12 and I'm heading towards the same destination this semester. After the fall term, I thought and stressed about my failure a lot. I've never failed so bad in my life as I've always been a straight A student in high school. I took a gap year before college and somehow I think that has made me lazier and not motivated. I find myself wanting to give up a lot more and I know that if I do, I'll look back and regret every decision I've made. Is there any hope for me? Being a doctor is an important part of my life but sometimes I just lack motivation for all of it. I procrastinate and not get any work done. I badly need to get back to my old self but I feel so drowned by everything around me. I am a very realistic person and I know that if I don't get my **** together, I won't get what I want out of life. But how do I get my self together? How did you do it? How? What doesn't help me is seeing my peers succeed so much and change so much and I'm just stuck. I've asked them and no one seems to be giving me an answer. What should I do? I want to use this summer and prep for my second year. I want to be who I once was. The hardworking student with so much thirst for education and so much curiosity. I don't want to be so disappointed in myself anymore. I don't want to be a failure.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the spring semester of my first year and I've realized that I failed my first year of college. I failed my fall semester with a low GPA of 2.12 and I'm heading towards the same destination this semester. ... Is there any hope for me? ... I procrastinate and not get any work done. I badly need to get back to my old self but I feel so drowned by everything around me. ... But how do I get my self together? How did you do it? How? What doesn't help me is seeing my peers succeed so much and change so much and I'm just stuck. I've asked them and no one seems to be giving me an answer. What should I do? .... I don't want to be so disappointed in myself anymore. I don't want to be a failure.
You can still get accepted to medical school, but only if you make dramatic changes to your studying habits. Do not take any additional classes until you figure out how to improve your academic performance. Consider withdrawing from your current classes if it is an option and you're getting ~2.0 GPA this semester. When you are ready, I'd recommend taking a lighter course load to start so you can get back into the swing of things.

There seems to be two big issues going on: procrastination and possibly anxiety / depression. To combat procrastination, set up a study schedule and adhere to it. Also seek help at your college's academic center for additional tips on how to do well -- they may have tutors available. For the most part, college classes are not a function of intelligence, but rather of work ethic -- there's no reason why you cannot get decent grades if you are putting in the work. I'd also suggest seeing a counselor to talk about your emotions. This may lead to seeing a psychiatrist who may help with any possible underlying anxiety or depression that is impacting your performance. Best of luck.

tl;dr: Go to your college's academic center and set up a study schedule. Go see a counselor to rule out any underlying anxiety or depression. Do not take any additional classes until you get things sorted out!

Reactions: 2 users
Med school is not out of the question but getting the grades you need to make it a reality ARE unless you follow the above posters' advice.

I did NOT do that 30 years ago (not a typo). When I did get the advice and help required, my grades = near 4.0. Don't be me. Get assistance now. College is not hard, it's just hard work :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did pretty bad my first semester too but I'm doing much better this semester because I admitted to my flaws which is what you're doing and that's great! The key right now is mentality. Your GPA looks bad but it's not the end of the world. Medical schools understand that the first year won't be great. Right now what you need to do is to work hard and do well on your finals. Then over the summer get yourself back together by staying active by volunteering or preparing for your courses but remember one thing while you're doing all of this: YOU CAN DO THIS. Medical schools will ignore your first year or not care much of it if you work hard for the rest of your college career because you showed that you didn't give up.

Gte to your school's learning or education center stat for help in learning styles, test taking strategies, time etc.

Get to your counseling center for help with your motivation issues.

Hi, I know this might be something you hear about a lot but I really need help. I am currently in the spring semester of my first year and I've realized that I failed my first year of college. I failed my fall semester with a low GPA of 2.12 and I'm heading towards the same destination this semester. After the fall term, I thought and stressed about my failure a lot. I've never failed so bad in my life as I've always been a straight A student in high school. I took a gap year before college and somehow I think that has made me lazier and not motivated. I find myself wanting to give up a lot more and I know that if I do, I'll look back and regret every decision I've made. Is there any hope for me? Being a doctor is an important part of my life but sometimes I just lack motivation for all of it. I procrastinate and not get any work done. I badly need to get back to my old self but I feel so drowned by everything around me. I am a very realistic person and I know that if I don't get my **** together, I won't get what I want out of life. But how do I get my self together? How did you do it? How? What doesn't help me is seeing my peers succeed so much and change so much and I'm just stuck. I've asked them and no one seems to be giving me an answer. What should I do? I want to use this summer and prep for my second year. I want to be who I once was. The hardworking student with so much thirst for education and so much curiosity. I don't want to be so disappointed in myself anymore. I don't want to be a failure.

Reactions: 3 users
You are not alone. Depression, anxiety burn out, and mental health struggles are all very important issues and a lot of students can relate to what you are going through. During times like these, it's important to touch base with your family, friends, and other people in your support network.

It can be paralyzing to the point where you relive your recent struggles as opposed to focusing on the tasks at hand, which can lead to a spiraling cycle of procrastination and loss of self-confidence. With every looming exam, the built up pressure can really add to this vicious cycle. Try to take a step back and think about all the positives in your life. Surround yourself with positive people, and spend less time with the overly negative people in your life. Think about why you are doing what you are doing. Revisit your initial motivations and remind yourself what drew you to wanting to become a physician. Volunteering and clinical experiences can help reaffirm your decision to pursue medicine.

Regarding your academic struggles, I would form study groups, explore on-campus tutoring options, and attend office hours. It's important to develop a peer support system as many other students may be having similar feelings as you are (even if they aren't outwardly showing it). Having physician and medical student mentors have been extremely helpful in keeping me motivated, especially when classes are tough.

It's perfectly ok to take some time off to re-evaluate everything. Figure out if medicine is what you want to do, and if it is, then remind yourself of why you want to pursue medicine. Explore different interests so you can find your passions. Even if you want to pursue medicine, networking with students from diverse fields can help you maintain perspective and help you develop a healthy balance between being surrounded by premeds in your classes and other non premed students outside of classes.

Reactions: 1 user