BasicScienceTrack T32

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heartblowz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get some input. I am MD PhD in basic science track.

hate being in the lab. Mentor sucks. Research project sucks. Chief of division recommended I work with my mentor who turns out is not a good mentor. Trying to do as many procedures as possible as I feel I can no longer stay in academics. Anyone had to deal with this?

Looking for jobs now. Got a few offers non-academic. However, my chief would be angry if he knew I was leaving academics. I fear they will try to prevent me from graduating if they found out I was leaving basic science.

Anyone had to face this tough decision?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to get some input. I am MD PhD in basic science track.

hate being in the lab. Mentor sucks. Research project sucks. Chief of division recommended I work with my mentor who turns out is not a good mentor. Trying to do as many procedures as possible as I feel I can no longer stay in academics. Anyone had to deal with this?

Looking for jobs now. Got a few offers non-academic. However, my chief would be angry if he knew I was leaving academics. I fear they will try to prevent me from graduating if they found out I was leaving basic science.

Anyone had to face this tough decision?

Thank you

I'm sure you're not the only person in cardiology who has gone non academic after having a fairly academic career. I'm sure others will put in their two cents

Umm...F*** your chief. Seriously.

If you have fulfilled the requirements of your program/specialty, there's nothing they can do to stop you now.

Sure, he may be disappointed, but I doubt he'll be angry. And so what if he is. You've got the interviews/offers. At this point, the only thing he could do to sink your chances would be to lie to credentialing/licensing authorities...and that's just not worth the potential pain on the back-end.

Thanks.

Yeah, a colleague of mine left academics a few years ago. He did not receive an R01 after K08 and was not happy. He is now in private practice and dropped the Phd from his sig altogether.