T32 grant - how difficult is it to get funding if a program doesn't have one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts? How big of a deal is the t32 grant and how difficult is it to find funding? Do divisions generally find something for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts? How big of a deal is the t32 grant and how difficult is it to find funding? Do divisions generally find something for you?

A T32 is an institutional training grant. If the institution does not have one, it is extremely difficult to be funded under this mechanism, unless you switch institutions or are yourself an institution.

As a cardiology fellow your salary for PGY years 4 and 5 is paid through GME, and it is strongly encouraged (may be required now) that programs fund the PGY 6 year as well. Other research funding sources for cardiology include NRSA (NIH), AHA post-doctoral fellowships, and Merck. If you can gain your own funding, that's less money the fellowship has to shell out, and you'll be looked upon favorably (particularly if you have this funding while applying to fellowship).

p diddy

Aren't all cards fellowships at least 3 years? why is the 3rd year not funded by GME?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't all cards fellowships at least 3 years? why is the 3rd year not funded by GME?

When I was a fellow the 3rd year wasn't necessarily funded at GME level as it was a 'research' year. Thus unless you got a grant above and beyond your salary, you'd be paid as an NIH post-doc (~40K/year). That has changed and I think now most programs fund the PGY-6 year at GME level.

p diddy

FWIW, there are other grant mechanisms to fund a research year(s). There are foundation grants. There's the NIH F32 which is basically an individual T32 (i.e. pays salary for post-docs/research fellows in programs that don't have a T32). You should also poke around your institution to see what T32s there are whether you could swing your research to qualify for them. T32 directors need their spots filled up in order to maintain the grants at renewal time. As long as you can spin your project to sound relevant to an existing T32, you might have a shot at one. Look at the basic science programs too, not just the clinical departments.

While you'll still get paid at whatever your PGY level says you should, there are huge benefits to having your own funding.

FWIW, there are other grant mechanisms to fund a research year(s). There are foundation grants. There's the NIH F32 which is basically an individual T32 (i.e. pays salary for post-docs/research fellows in programs that don't have a T32). You should also poke around your institution to see what T32s there are whether you could swing your research to qualify for them. T32 directors need their spots filled up in order to maintain the grants at renewal time. As long as you can spin your project to sound relevant to an existing T32, you might have a shot at one. Look at the basic science programs too, not just the clinical departments.

While you'll still get paid at whatever your PGY level says you should, there are huge benefits to having your own funding.

Hey GutOnc-- I know this is half a decade old at this point but I was hoping you could help me. I'm finishing PGY-4 clinical onc year and I'm fortunate enough to be funded to the grave by my fellowship, but my PI has asked me to apply for our institutional T32 (which we have, or are likely to have in the near future). Does this preclude me from applying for other related grants, what is the point? it is just more money for my PI? A feather in my cap or my PI's cap? After 6 years in the hospital, the grant world is foreign to me. Thanks

Hey GutOnc-- I know this is half a decade old at this point but I was hoping you could help me. I'm finishing PGY-4 clinical onc year and I'm fortunate enough to be funded to the grave by my fellowship, but my PI has asked me to apply for our institutional T32 (which we have, or are likely to have in the near future). Does this preclude me from applying for other related grants, what is the point? it is just more money for my PI? A feather in my cap or my PI's cap? After 6 years in the hospital, the grant world is foreign to me. Thanks
The T32 means the money to pay you comes from the grant rather than your program + PI (which is probably covering some chunk of your salary), which is nice for everybody. It's also a nice line item on your CV.

It would preclude you from applying for an F32, but not for any of the other grant mechanisms such as fellow-to-faculty stuff.