Basketball Ananlogy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Affirmative Action is unjust and racist.

Asian and caucausian students obtain a 3.5
and 30's on the MCAT to get into medical
school. Black students need a 3.1 and 26's
on the MCAT to gain admittance. The argu-
ment for this being that the medical
community should be representative of
society at large. The percentage of popula-
tion that is black in the United States is
roughly 10%. The percentage of blacks in
medical schools is roughly 7%.
If the percentage of races in a career field
should mimic their percentage in the pop-
ulation at large, then affirmative action
should be dealt with in all professions.
This is not a joke. This is a serious
example of why affirmative action is racist
and unjust.
The NBA should have an affirmative action
program in place. The percentage of black
players playing in the NBA exceeds their
percentage in the population. White players
should occupy a greater percentage. Asians
also deserve a position on numerous teams.
Deserving black basketball players that are
now competing to get into the NBA must be
passed over for less qualified asian and
caucasian players.

------------------
tb

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, what I would do to be a Native-American Female, raised in poverty with a 25 on my MCAT and a GPA below 2.6. Harvard here I come!

and unjust.
caucasian players.

------------------
tb

thats mest up to say man. you are missing the bigger picture

Members don't see this ad :)
I think NBA took op seriously. Gave Nash 2 MVP awards. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

The crazy thing is the OP is done with medschool, residency, and probably well into his own practice by now.

It makes me wonder what I'll be thinking if 10 years from now I look back on my posts from here. Should be interesting! Ha.

and unjust.
caucasian players.

------------------
tb

OP could not be more correct....

Members don't see this ad :)
The analogy would've been better if you talked about how a 5'5" 130lb Asian would never play in the NBA versus a 3.0/25 URM can get into medical school. Hence how the Jeremy Lin reference above is completely irrelevent. He is tall and strong enough to play in the NBA.

Either way, the system is how it is.

How about... the best players play. The others don't. That's the way it is right now. If you want more asians in the league, tell the asian youth to start focusing on basketball (I'm sure their parents will be thrilled... :rolleyes:). It's not necessarily the league's fault for the disproportionate number of races represented in basketball... it's just there aren't too many good asian players.

diethreaddie.jpg

How about... the best players play. The others don't. That's the way it is right now. If you want more asians in the league, tell the asian youth to start focusing on basketball (I'm sure their parents will be thrilled... :rolleyes:). It's not necessarily the league's fault for the disproportionate number of races represented in basketball... it's just there aren't too many good asian players.

I think this is the point though! There are a disproportionate amount of statistically qualified Asians for the NBA just as there are a disproportionate amount of statistically qualified URMs for med school. The AAMC and medical schools are contributing to solving this problem by holding URMs at a lower standard. The NBA is not doing the same for Asians.

I think this is the point though! There are a disproportionate amount of statistically qualified Asians for the NBA just as there are a disproportionate amount of statistically qualified URMs for med school. The AAMC and medical schools are contributing to solving this problem by holding URMs at a lower standard. The NBA is not doing the same for Asians.

Eh, I don't entirely agree. You can't tell me that there are just as many qualified asians who play basketball as blacks or whites. Asian upbringing, culture, and genetics are different.... so it's not surprising that the NBA (particularly the more athletic ones) lacks asian players. They just aren't as many good ones worth drafting. And the sample size in the draft pool is insanely low to begin with. So with the NBA, I disagree.

For medschool apps, I do not think race/ethnicity should have any weight in URM status. Financial status, however, should.

Btw, Gengar wants this thread to end. Or he's going to use DreamEater on all of us.

094.gif

The analogy would've been better if you talked about how a 5'5" 130lb Asian would never play in the NBA versus a 3.0/25 URM can get into medical school. Hence how the Jeremy Lin reference above is completely irrelevent. He is tall and strong enough to play in the NBA.

Either way, the system is how it is.

Or....wait for it....

It was a joke. You're gonna need a sense of humor for med school. I hear Wal-Mart is having a 4th of July sale, might wanna pick one up. :thumbup:

Eh, I don't entirely agree. You can't tell me that there are just as many qualified asians who play basketball as blacks or whites. Asian upbringing, culture, and genetics are different.... so it's not surprising that the NBA (particularly the more athletic ones) lacks asian players. They just aren't as many good ones worth drafting. And the sample size in the draft pool is insanely low to begin with. So with the NBA, I disagree.

For medschool apps, I do not think race/ethnicity should have any weight in URM status. Financial status, however, should.

I'm not saying there are as many qualified asians who play basketball as blacks or whites. I'm saying the opposite, which is my point. There are way more qualified blacks for the NBA than there are asians, just like there are way more qualified asians for medical schools than there are blacks. The point I was trying to make is that med schools are making it easier for blacks and other URMs to get into the profession, while the NBA is not making it easier for asians.

Or....wait for it....

It was a joke. You're gonna need a sense of humor for med school. I hear Wal-Mart is having a 4th of July sale, might wanna pick one up. :thumbup:

Perhaps.

I'm not saying there are as many qualified asians who play basketball as blacks or whites. I'm saying the opposite, which is my point. There are way more qualified blacks for the NBA than there are asians, just like there are way more qualified asians for medical schools than there are blacks. The point I was trying to make is that med schools are making it easier for blacks and other URMs to get into the profession, while the NBA is not making it easier for asians.

Oh, ok. So we're saying the same thing basically, lol.

OK, let's all remember what Gengar said now so our dreams won't be eaten.

Oh, ok. So we're saying the same thing basically, lol.

OK, let's all remember what Gengar said now so our dreams won't be eaten.

I have an ultraball :thumbup:

Master ball and x99 rare candy motherfudga

I never did get into Pokemon (I was too busy playing Diablo) and I figured making any kind of reference to it would show that I had no idea what I was talking about :D

The way I see it, affirmative action should be used for undergrad only. I can understand bad high schools in inner cities not giving kids a chance, but I mean, come on, after four years of collegiate studies if he or she isn't caught up then it's by their own choice.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

The way I see it, affirmative action should be used for undergrad only. I can understand bad high schools in inner cities not giving kids a chance, but I mean, come on, after four years of collegiate studies if he or she isn't caught up then it's by their own choice.

except there is plenty of data that shows that the URMs (in business and law school at least) outperform the mean of their fellow classmates for top leadership positions and overall earnings after graduation.

That's always been the giant sticking point that AA-critics can't get around. "Somehow" these "underqualified" "pity acceptances" actually far outperform the average "real admission" when it comes time to actually go out into the workforce and use the training they got. At least more often than not. Really says something about making the most out of the educational gifts they are given. And really, isn't the greatest winners the people who make the most out of the homogenized resources everyone receives?

except there is plenty of data that shows that the URMs (in business and law school at least) outperform the mean of their fellow classmates for top leadership positions and overall earnings after graduation.

That's always been the giant sticking point that AA-critics can't get around. "Somehow" these "underqualified" "pity acceptances" actually far outperform the average "real admission" when it comes time to actually go out into the workforce and use the training they got. At least more often than not. Really says something about making the most out of the educational gifts they are given. And really, isn't the greatest winners the people who make the most out of the homogenized resources everyone receives?

Gengar gonna get you.

I found this extremely complicated flow chart detailing Abra's evolution. Alakazam can bend spoons with his mind.

abra-kadabra-alakazam1.gif

To keep with the theme of this thread I will call one of my minority pokemon who isn't seen much...

koffing.gif

Koffing uses OFFENSIVE GAS!! Abra is stunned.

To keep with the theme of this thread I will call one of my minority pokemon who isn't seen much...

koffing.gif

Koffing uses OFFENSIVE GAS!! Abra is stunned.

:laugh::laugh:

Its not that simple.:laugh: