Battle of specialities!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I posted a thread not so long ago. I have been having trouble deciding on speciality switch. I work in Norway, so switching specialities is an accepted thing. I am currently in Internal med. and am considering Pathology. I am also interested in Opthal., ENT and Family Med(that is the new one).

I still cannot make up my mind between Pathology and Fam. Med (again fam. med. in Norway is different than N. America). I am a bit worried I may miss patient contact - although after being in Internal I can tell you that I do not like in-patient care as much, I prefer out-patient care the best. Also, after all those years in med. school it is almost engrained in us that doctors are supposed to have patient contact bla bla. Do not mean to offend anyone. On the other hand I am interested in histology, really enjoyed. I also have a postgrad. degree in genetics.

Dunno, I am having an extremely hard time deciding what to choose - I will have to decide soon. I will be visiting this hosp. that I am interseted in (for Pathology ) for a day visit.ANy advice or input will be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do pathologists do in norway? Many countries are different - pathologists may be limited to AP type stuff, or may do AP and CP.

This has come up in similar threads a time or two. Personally I suggest spending as much time as possible in a working pathology department, such as a month long rotation. Pathology is a niche specialty, in that it is very different from most of the other specialties and for the most part medical students all the way through attending physicians simply have very little practical exposure to what the average pathologist does on a day to day basis. Unfortunately spending a dedicated month in a pathology department may be impractical given that you are out of medical school and evidently already working in another specialty, so I think the decision is going to be more difficult to make in an appropriately educated way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will like pathology if:

(1) You like solving puzzles.

(2) Are a visual person.

(3) Are meticulous and detail oriented.

(4) Enjoy both art and science.

(5) Are inquisitive.

(6) Like solitude and working at your own pace.

(7) Have the mental attributes of a philosopher, detective, artist and scientist.

(8) Come to judgements slowly and by analyzing the situation from all possible angles, but once having drawn your conclusions are very confident (mental sharpness and toughness).

(9) Are a voracious reader.

The list goes on, but this should give you some idea.

Last edited:

(2) Are a visual person.

(5) Are inquisitive.

(7) Have the mental attributes of a philosopher, detective, artist and scientist.

(8) Come to judgements slowly and by analyzing the situation from all possible angles, but once having drawn your conclusions are very confident (mental sharpness and toughness).

(10) Enjoy working in a lab all day

(11) Like your patients quiet, dead quiet

(12) Don't like people

(13) Hated all your third year rotations.

(14) Introverted nerd.

(15) When a gastroenterologist says jump, you ask how high?

(16) You like acting out D&D games in real life and dress up on the weekends in cardboard armor and swords that you made.

(17) You like playing Magic the Gathering with your roommates.

(18) You have ever been nicknamed "neck beard".

(2) Are a visual person.

(5) Are inquisitive.

Excellent points. I would point out, however, that I am a very gregarious person and not terribly fond of solitude. Yet I love pathology. Just FYI.

(15) When a gastroenterologist says jump, you ask how high?

(16) You like acting out D&D games in real life and dress up on the weekends in cardboard armor and swords that you made.

(17) You like playing Magic the Gathering with your roommates.

(18) You have ever been nicknamed "neck beard".

(19) You are willing to go sit there for an hour to do an FNA adequacy (which reimburses like $20) while a pulmonologist or gastroentrologist mucks around getting an ulitmately non-diagnostic specimen.

(19) You are willing to go sit there for an hour to do an FNA adequacy (which reimburses like $20) while a pulmonologist or gastroentrologist mucks around getting an ulitmately non-diagnostic specimen.

(20) You find it more enjoyable to smash colon fat or do a "family request" autopsy on a decedent s/p CABG and multiple abdominal surgeries than to admit inpatients, do diabetic foot exams, or participate in patient "rounds" *shudders*

An hour! Try about 3 minutes then it's back to the drawing board for the IV rad or whoever. I ain't got that kind of time for that bs

This has come up in similar threads a time or two. Personally I suggest spending as much time as possible in a working pathology department, such as a month long rotation. Pathology is a niche specialty, in that it is very different from most of the other specialties and for the most part medical students all the way through attending physicians simply have very little practical exposure to what the average pathologist does on a day to day basis. Unfortunately spending a dedicated month in a pathology department may be impractical given that you are out of medical school and evidently already working in another specialty, so I think the decision is going to be more difficult to make in an appropriately educated way.
Ya given my situation working in the lab for a month is going to be impossbile. The only way to do it now would be to take my vacation time and use it to work there, but that is not going to be possible.

I have worked in a basic research lab, did a MSc. in canada before moving to Norway. THat was though basic research and I didn't really like my lab so it was tuff. But I finished my stuff there and moved on. I am a visually oriented person and do enjoy some patient contact. But in internal I find the inefficiency of rounding and the amount of paperwork just too much!!! I like to be effective and efficient. Also, I like to be independent hence I am kinda stuck choosing between family med. or pathology.

But on the other hand, I was lucky enough during my internshup to be able to be at this lab. The pathologist used to page me when something interesting like an autopsy was taking place or if there was a meeting and so forth (in norway its just internal, surgery and fam. med internship - after med school). The other experience I have had (can just be a chance thing too ) is that most pathologists I met have been the nicest people so far :) Very genuine and straight forward. Also, I have never seen them trying to 'sell' pathology to interns and so forth.

BTW I am not an introvert and I do like to be social :)

What do pathologists do in norway? Many countries are different - pathologists may be limited to AP type stuff, or may do AP and CP.
I am assuming that AP is anatomical pathology?? is CP clinical pathology??
So in Norway from what I understand , it depends where you work. I am planning if I choose pathology to work in a medium size hosp.Here they do autopsies, histology and macrodissection (I think its called grossing ?) Feel free to correct my terminology :)

SO basically as a resident you take part in all of this. Also the meetings with clinicians . at this hosp. its with breast surgeons. I do not know about the big hospital in Oslo, but I do not think that hematopathology is a big thing here (I may be mistaken). But at this hospital you do not have it. And course you do cytology.

But in general from my understanding, once you are done with your residency and when you are spec. its mostly histology and some autopsies, no grossing (residents do it), etc. But at the place that I am interested in, course since its smaller, you take part in everything.