Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Onco and Ms. A. It seems like Baylor entirely fits in the first two years within a year and a half, so I figured that the students would be in class longer than in other schools with more traditional programs. Nice to see that if I was able to attend Baylor that I won't be in class all day (which I don't want; I want time to study so that I can have a relatively normal family life at home). I like Baylor more and more every day.

Thanks for the interview advice. I've been on several interviews already so I have already had time to warm up. As long as the interviews are not exceptionally confrontational (like my state school UW) I think I will do fine. I have lots to talk about.

I hope that I have the opportunity to meet everyone at Baylor. Hopefully my (relatively) poor MCAT score won't keep me out.

Members don't see this ad.

There is didactic lecture every day from 8-12. It is also videotaped and put on the web, if you choose to stay home and watch it later. Attendance is not required. Two days a week, there are small group sessions. One is a problem-based learning group, where you go through cases and assign everyone learning issues to come back and share with the group the next week. The other is the learn-where-to-put-the-stethescope group, where you learn each part of a basic history and physical in small groups and then go out every other week to a preceptor and practice on real patients. Attendance for the small groups is required. They are usually done about 3-4 in the afternoon.

Good luck on your interview.

When is anatomy lab?

I hope that I have the opportunity to meet everyone at Baylor. Hopefully my (relatively) poor MCAT score won't keep me out.

If you have an interview, you have a good chance of getting in. I don't know the exact stats, but Baylor doesn't interview that many people relative to the number of acceptances that they give out (I seem to remember something like 2:1, but I'm not sure).

Members don't see this ad :)
When is anatomy lab?

During the fall, it is Thursdays, from 10-12. Head and Neck is During Jan/Feb, and the labs this year have been Wednesday 10-12, with one extra lab this last Monday, also 10-12 (I was one of the TA's, which is why I know the specifics). Histology also has some sort of lab (the format changes every year), but that is usually Fridays 10-12. In general, any lab time is 10-12.

During the fall, it is Thursdays, from 10-12. Head and Neck is During Jan/Feb, and the labs this year have been Wednesday 10-12, with one extra lab this last Monday, also 10-12 (I was one of the TA's, which is why I know the specifics). Histology also has some sort of lab (the format changes every year), but that is usually Fridays 10-12. In general, any lab time is 10-12.

Perfect. I didn't realize the could work it into the mornings like that. Thank you for explaining this.

Class from 8-12 every day
Either Mon or Tues you'll have IPS from 1-3
Wednesday you'll have PPS from 1-3 or 2-5 or something (depends on which doctor you're following around)
Thursday anatomy lab is 10-whenever you want to leave
Friday is pretty open

Almost everyone will schedule some electives in there, usually during the 12-1 lunchtime hour (so that you can get 8 elective credits before clinics and skip an extra month later).

So I had about 2 or 3 afternoons OFF during basic sciences. I recommend profuse napping and relaxation.

Also having gone to Bellaire for high school is highly correlated with success at BCM, so that's a good idea too!

This schedule almost sounds too good to be true. Of course there is still plenty of work (exam blocks sound pretty intense), but the normal weekly schedule seems about as good as it can get. :thumbup:

Second look invites are going out today. I'm OOS though, and it sounds like that's what the second look weekend is mostly for from previous posters. March 23rd is the date, and they ask you what you want to see, so they can custom tailor it. Also made reference to "assisting" with travel expenses. Not sure how much. Dr. Michael is so great though. I didn't want to post in pre-allo becuase this is invitation only, but thought I'd give some others a possible heads up (I already have to change some plans around).

Just in case some of you that were accepted never posted it on the "accepted" thread...when was the last SDNer accepted?

does anyone know baylor's criteria for their academic scholarships (just MCAT and GPA or the applicants entire profile) and when they begin offering?

Maybe we could all split a taxi from the airport, depending on flights of course. I can't wait (especially becaues I just trudged through 6 inches of snow to my coffee shop).

*worried* no email/email attachment from Baylor to this OOS'er yet. speaking of snow, we're JUST getting our first snow of the winter season in the north east... global warming *sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
Milk, did you get that news article from Drudge? I like you more already. And Madam, what's up with the new Avatar?

are you holding spots at other schools?

Right now I'm holding one other spot. I withdrew from 2 other spots a week or so ago. Hopefully they didn't send out all the second look invites already. ^^

It's a weemee. You can make one too at www.weeworld.com (you know you wanna)
I've changed it up a little b/c tomorrow is my bday, so this my weemee in her birthday suit. Note the fig leaf :laugh: :p

Well, Happy Birthday MadameLULU! I hope you have a great Valentine's day and Happy Birthday! Enjoy food, cake, family, friends, fun, and cool gifts!

http://thepassionatecook.typepad.com/thepassionatecook/2004/08/birthday%20cake.jpg

Second look invites are going out today. I'm OOS though, and it sounds like that's what the second look weekend is mostly for from previous posters. March 23rd is the date, and they ask you what you want to see, so they can custom tailor it. Also made reference to "assisting" with travel expenses. Not sure how much. Dr. Michael is so great though. I didn't want to post in pre-allo becuase this is invitation only, but thought I'd give some others a possible heads up (I already have to change some plans around).

Uh oh... that's the UTSW second look weekend date too! Dilemma... lol

Well, Happy Birthday MadameLULU! I hope you have a great Valentine's day and Happy Birthday! Enjoy food, cake, family, friends, fun, and cool gifts!

http://thepassionatecook.typepad.com/thepassionatecook/2004/08/birthday%20cake.jpg

Thank you!! and that looks SOOOOOOO Good. OMG, I love berries!!

For anyone else still waiting on an acceptance from Baylor, my advisor told me last week that they still have about 1/3 of the class to fill. I was starting to lose hope since I interviewed in September, but now I'm getting anxious again.

For anyone else still waiting on an acceptance from Baylor, my advisor told me last week that they still have about 1/3 of the class to fill. I was starting to lose hope since I interviewed in September, but now I'm getting anxious again.

Very good. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to hear that!:thumbup: (The part about the 1/3 class to fill).

I'm really happy to be going to Baylor, but I'm not sure I would be anxious if I was in limbo unless I had no other great options (I would have decided by now anyway because I have a family). Is Baylor your top choice then? Is there something in particular that really makes Baylor stand out for you?

I would assume that the remaining offers will start going out this week. The last interview was on Friday and they will rank them with everyone else on Monday or Tuesday. So Dr. Michael should start making phone calls pretty soon. :luck:

I would assume that the remaining offers will start going out this week. The last interview was on Friday and they will rank them with everyone else on Monday or Tuesday. So Dr. Michael should start making phone calls pretty soon. :luck:

No pressure ... no pressure at all ... no sweaty palms ... no jumping up every time the phone rings ... :scared: ... no upset stomach :barf: ... well, it's a small taste of medical school stress without the sleep deprivation anyway.

Good luck waiters ((:)luck:))) and congrats to all of you who (hopefully!!) will get call soon.

Very good. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to hear that!:thumbup: (The part about the 1/3 class to fill).

I'm really happy to be going to Baylor, but I'm not sure I would be anxious if I was in limbo unless I had no other great options (I would have decided by now anyway because I have a family). Is Baylor your top choice then? Is there something in particular that really makes Baylor stand out for you?

I guess anxious wasn't really the right word. I'll still be very happy if I end up at UT-H. What I meant was that I had basically stopped thinking about Baylor because I thought I was SOL, but now I'll be half-expecting a phone call from them again.

I really liked Baylor's schedule, especially the fact that you get to start clinicals half a year earlier than other schools. Also, I am pretty interested in research, and I liked the setup for their 5 year research track.

I guess anxious wasn't really the right word. I'll still be very happy if I end up at UT-H. What I meant was that I had basically stopped thinking about Baylor because I thought I was SOL, but now I'll be half-expecting a phone call from them again.

I really liked Baylor's schedule, especially the fact that you get to start clinicals half a year earlier than other schools. Also, I am pretty interested in research, and I liked the setup for their 5 year research track.

As far as waiting on Baylor, you're in a good situation location-wise. You could plan your move to Houston with the full intention of going to UT-H and Baylor could come through ... it would be a little different if where you would prefer to go was in a different city.

Yes, I agree. The schedule is the best I've seen, and research/clinical opportunities are excellent as well. The BCM students and the people who want to go there have impressed me as well, for that matter.

I still chuckle (not in a mean way ... more empathy/disbelief) about a BCM waitlist student who's a 3rd year now and got "the call" during the respective admissions cycle and had 24 hours to decide ... after having moved elsewhere (CA). I hope that is rare, and, on a positive note, I hope you also get "the call."

i thought people had said the last interviews were moved to february 23rd not the 16th. also is anyone on here certain that the calls will start this week and decisions will be made. if so i will have to start doublebagging my underwear b/c the nervousness will make me crap my pants. sorry that was rather graphic but this is my dream school!

i thought people had said the last interviews were moved to february 23rd not the 16th. also is anyone on here certain that the calls will start this week and decisions will be made. if so i will have to start doublebagging my underwear b/c the nervousness will make me crap my pants. sorry that was rather graphic but this is my dream school!

feb 16th was the last interview date (i was there). dr. villareal told us that they were going to rank us that day (the adcom met friday at 5 pm)...but that the earliest we would hear would be a month from now.....

I still chuckle (not in a mean way ... more empathy/disbelief) about a BCM waitlist student who's a 3rd year now and got "the call" during the respective admissions cycle and had 24 hours to decide ... after having moved elsewhere (CA). I hope that is rare, and, on a positive note, I hope you also get "the call."

yeah, we had Sarah as our "student rep" on friday as well...i can't believe her story....imagine leaving your husband/wife for a year! sounds like she made the right decision, though!

yeah, we had Sarah as our "student rep" on friday as well...i can't believe her story....imagine leaving your husband/wife for a year! sounds like she made the right decision, though!

Yup, it all seems to have worked out and she's a happy camper or at least as happy as you can be as an MS3 working those odd hours. Her husband and their fun/cute dog are also doing well last I heard.

Here is some feedback on Baylor from actual students (found this on the premed forum) ... gives pros & cons and allows one to compare student experiences with different schools. I thought it was interesting reading:

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

Is there anything I have to send in/fill out in order to receive an invite for second look weekend? I was accepted 1/18, have received nothing. Thanks in advance for the help.

Is there anything I have to send in/fill out in order to receive an invite for second look weekend? I was accepted 1/18, have received nothing. Thanks in advance for the help.

From previous talk, it looks like the second look weekend is mostly for out of state folks who are probably considering other schools. I'm sure if you had some questions or wanted another tour or something, you could email Doc Michael and he'd be happy to set something up anytime.

How would you characterize the students at Baylor? The interview day was so short and packed that I didn't really get a good feel for the students. What were your impressions - perhaps when compared to other regional schools like UTSW or Vandy?

Here are mine: I know a lot are from Texas so I presume you have some from big state school. But at my interview, it seemed like a larger number were from Ivy-ish backgrounds (of interviewees at least). Since it is a H/HP/P/F system, I'd think people would be a little more laid back, less cutthroat than traditional graded system, but some students I met seemed really stressed/overwhelmed (maybe it was a test day, just the individuals, or it's a function of 1.5 yr condensed?). Diversity-wise (based on again limited exposure), Baylor felt more diverse (ethnic-wise) than UTSW or Vandy, but less so geographic-wise than Vandy and more so geographically than UTSW. Overall, it didn't seem that many students had an interest in research (outside of MSTP) or that the med school put much emphasis on it. Rather students seemed to be involved in community health or even international health (I was impressed how many students I spoke to spent time in S America).

Now, these are just my rough impressions based on limited exposure. If you can clarify, contradict, correct, or further expound on any of these impressions, please do so!

How would you characterize the students at Baylor? The interview day was so short and packed that I didn't really get a good feel for the students. What were your impressions - perhaps when compared to other regional schools like UTSW or Vandy?

Look here for your answers: http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/ . You can compare schools.

However, I'll give you my pre-med opinion (I stayed with a student, so maybe that helped me. Also, know several Baylor grads and spoke with students on several occasions). I am entering this fall. Going in I also plan to do the research track, with a year of research between MS2 & 3.

Here are mine: I know a lot are from Texas so I presume you have some from big state school. But at my interview, it seemed like a larger number were from Ivy-ish backgrounds (of interviewees at least).

In the past, Baylor has also drawn heavily from Rice. They might also have a lot of Texans who went somewhere else for their undergrad. Also, students can become Texas residents after 1 year by owning property, etc., so I'm not sure how that factors into the statistics. You can search MD applicants to get the background of some of the students, although this would not be a statistically reliable sample. Baylor tend to be good students, and they come from good schools, whether public or private. BCM might also provide more detailed demographics about what UG schools they draw from.

Since it is a H/HP/P/F system, I'd think people would be a little more laid back, less cutthroat than traditional graded system, but some students I met seemed really stressed/overwhelmed (maybe it was a test day, just the individuals, or it's a function of 1.5 yr condensed?).

There are some gunner classes (I'm not sure where the class of 2010 or 2009 fits) where many are going for the H. I heard that the class of 2007 was a gunner class. It varies somewhat from year to year. Maybe cooperative is the better word. Baylor med students I have met are typically smart, intense, hardworking, personable, and friendly (great people skills). If you are thinking laid-back in the sense of watching a lot of TV and spending hours playing football on the lawn, I would say no. If you are thinking laid-back in the sense of helpful and cooperative, I would say yes. From the outside (soon to be inside) looking in, Baylor seems to make more of an effort to weed out people with personality defects that could hurt their ability to serve as a physician.

Diversity-wise (based on again limited exposure), Baylor felt more diverse (ethnic-wise) than UTSW or Vandy, but less so geographic-wise than Vandy and more so geographically than UTSW.

I didn't interview at Vandy, but I agree with respect to UTSW.

Overall, it didn't seem that many students had an interest in research (outside of MSTP) or that the med school put much emphasis on it. Rather students seemed to be involved in community health or even international health (I was impressed how many students I spoke to spent time in S America).

Maybe so, but keep in mind that there are many OPPORTUNITIES for research. I don't think they emphasize research for the MD applicants on interview day, but don't let that fool you. They have a research track for a reason, and I felt very encouraged about doing research there when I asked some questions about it. No, it's not an exclusive training center for people who are going into research or academia (like maybe some people have rumored that WashU is), but the opportunities are certainly there for those that want that. Baylor students also seem to respect those who are research inclined. I did get the impression that UTSW had more of a research presence (large buildings filled with researchers and labs) that I didn't have a chance to see at BCM, and I'm not sure how the size of their research staff compares to say, UTSW (my guess would be UTSW would be larger in this respect). I still have a few questions of my own (minor), e.g., how much clinical vs basic research they do.

Hope this helps!

I can speak (of course) only for my class (2009),

I'd agree that people are hardworking and intelligent but I was VERY impressed by the willingness to help others out. I can't tell you how many times people would spend hours creating a beautiful study guide or spreadsheet to condense and organize what we needed to know for a particular class--then they selflessly sent the whole thing out to all 169 other people. And it wasn't the same folks over and over, it was a good % of the class (not me because I'm no help to anyone).

I'd say the class is pretty diverse...better than I expected. Not too many international students of course, and mostly texans of one form or another. Oh yes, and we have a large number of rice students (45/170--go owls!).

IMHO the H/HP/P system is good because in a P/F world I'd just cruise, but it's VERY nice that we aren't curved against one another. That's why people are willing to help each other out and you don't see thieves stealing collective notes out of the library or something.

I think the stress level was about as I expected. I'm a pretty laid back, watch TV, play football on the lawn type of person, but obviously you've got a bell curve in every class. Overall I'd say it's very manageable and if students are TOO relaxed then their med school probably isn't teaching them enough, right? ;)

Research:
I guess we have quite a few opportunities to do some research, but I'm not particularly interested so I'm not the best to ask. However there are 12 or 13 MD/PhD students (couple of people joined after we started MS1) and then quite a few people doing the 1 year track, though it's hard to know exactly how many. Some are doing a 1 month or 2 month project after MS1 or during MS2, 3, 4 rotations (tons of clinical electives you can schedule in between OB/Gyn and IM or whatever). I know of several people who did research before entering med school and continued it in some respect. So I think that if you want it, you'll be able to find all the research opportunities you desire. Same goes for int'l health stuff or MPH, etc.

I didn't interview anywhere else but I can say that I really like it here and the people who surround me never cease to amaze and impress...students and faculty alike. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses. Since there isn't really a whole entering class second look weekend, it's nice to get your impressions of who I might be spending quite a bit of time with in the upcoming years. =)

Hey guys, did some people get an E-mail acceptance before/instead of a call? I'm wondering because I've heard some people get called first and some who get an E-mail first. Do you know if there is any purposeful reason for the discrepancy?

Hey guys, did some people get an E-mail acceptance before/instead of a call? I'm wondering because I've heard some people get called first and some who get an E-mail first. Do you know if there is any purposeful reason for the discrepancy?

I have only heard of people getting called, never e-mailed first with a notification of acceptance to BCM. Maybe if the dean tried a non-working or unanswered telephone number on line he might go with e-mail as the only functional alternative, but I haven't heard of this situation happening. Who did you hear got an e-mail first? Here are the SDNers who marked their acceptance on the official thread for that:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362763&highlight=Acceptances
OncoCaP (10/18 dean called me), HumbleMD (10/18), TroyJS(11-17), Rb4040 (11/21), ProdigyMD, Pkboi24 (12/1), momo101485 (12/1), CaramelDLite, MFFL07 (1/18), MilkofAmnesia (1/22), doctordutch (1/24)

I have only heard of people getting called, never e-mailed first with a notification of acceptance to BCM. Maybe if the dean tried a non-working or unanswered telephone number on line he might go with e-mail as the only functional alternative, but I haven't heard of this situation happening. Who did you hear got an e-mail first? Here are the SDNers who marked their acceptance on the official thread for that:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362763&highlight=Acceptances
OncoCaP (10/18 dean called me), HumbleMD (10/18), TroyJS(11-17), Rb4040 (11/21), ProdigyMD, Pkboi24 (12/1), momo101485 (12/1), CaramelDLite, MFFL07 (1/18), MilkofAmnesia (1/22), doctordutch (1/24)

Don't think he's one of those that you listed. Not sure but from what I understand, he didn't get a call, just a congratulatory E-mail with the web page and everything. I was just wondering whether they had stopped calling perhaps. I suppose your assertion about the working number is more likely, though. Assuming that it was the right number, though, don't you think they would leave a message?

On the other hand, I've read in earlier posts on SDN about people making sure to be free at certain times in anticipation of calls based on what they had seen in this forum. I think it would be pretty strange for people to be so confident about getting the call on a certain day/week.

I was just wondering so I can figure out what to expect: call vs. E-mail. Another possibility that went through my head is maybe as March is approaching and other schools begin accepting, they want to get acceptances out as soon as possible rather than waiting for someone (presumably Greenberg) to call.

Don't think he's one of those that you listed. Not sure but from what I understand, he didn't get a call, just a congratulatory E-mail with the web page and everything. I was just wondering whether they had stopped calling perhaps. I suppose your assertion about the working number is more likely, though. Assuming that it was the right number, though, don't you think they would leave a message?

On the other hand, I've read in earlier posts on SDN about people making sure to be free at certain times in anticipation of calls based on what they had seen in this forum. I think it would be pretty strange for people to be so confident about getting the call on a certain day/week.

I was just wondering so I can figure out what to expect: call vs. E-mail. Another possibility that went through my head is maybe as March is approaching and other schools begin accepting, they want to get acceptances out as soon as possible rather than waiting for someone (presumably Greenberg) to call.

Is your buddy on SDN? Maybe he can log his acceptance if that's alright. I'm sure people would be interested to hear that he received his acceptance by e-mail. I'm not sure if the dean leaves messages about an acceptance. Many people don't check their voice mail, so that could be a problem. Maybe if the dean calls and there is no answer, he e-mails (that is my speculation). I gave my cell phone number, and picked up a call from "Unknown" and my life changed for the better. No, you cannot predict when the dean makes his calls ... the data is all over the place day/time-wise.

Is your buddy on SDN? Maybe he can log his acceptance if that's alright. I'm sure people would be interested to hear that he received his acceptance by e-mail. I'm not sure if the dean leaves messages about an acceptance. Many people don't check their voice mail, so that could be a problem. Maybe if the dean calls and there is no answer, he e-mails (that is my speculation). I gave my cell phone number, and picked up a call from "Unknown" and my life changed for the better. No, you cannot predict when the dean makes his calls ... the data is all over the place day/time-wise.

No problem. He swore off SDN because it took up too much time (don't hold it against him...) but now that he has the baylor acceptance his classes seem, how shall I say this, a lot less important...

I'm an MSI so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Congrats to all who got in! Baylor's a great school

I'm an MSI so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Congrats to all who got in! Baylor's a great school

So is your class a gunner class (where most people are shooting for an H) or is there a more broad distribution of ambitions? Do you study a lot every day and do you have time for life outside of school? Did you get any early clinical exposure and if you did, was it motivating?

use a macbook, too. have had no problems. use parallels to open windows when want to watch lectures at double-time. love it.

regarding apartments, lanesborough is baylor-central. if you want to be a bit more secluded, try places on Kirby Dr. or Maroneal.

Is that what you were trying to do, be secluded?

Thanks to everyone for their informative posts, this thread has been very useful. I am very excited to start my education at Baylor:)

Lady Jubilee, do you feel that the shortened curriculum still provides you with a strong basic science foundation for clinics? I had read a previous post where you had stated that block one had too much material that wasn't very cohesive. Do you feel that the material is more relevant and cohesive now? What do you like most about Baylor? What do you think could improve? Do you go to lectures or stay at home to watch the streaming videos? Thanks again!