Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be at the second look weekend, from thursday to sunday. got my flights arranged and everything and somewhat effortlessly thanks to BCM. looks like a good time too. see ya'll there =)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I won't be at second look since that's during my spring break and I'll be off doing other equally fun stuff.

HumbleMD: Glad to see that you're warming to Baylor! Being a California native, I used to think Texas was a cultural backwater where everyone wore big hats, owned guns, and voted for Bush. However, after doing some intense research on Houston (i.e., wikipedia-ing it) it seems like its actually a somewhat civilized place. :p At any rate, the price is right. Once you factor in cost of living... it's even cheaper than in-state at UC schools!

People from Houston... anyone know how I should search for a condo? I'm trying to find 1 BR/1 Bath for under 100k. Also... does anyone know if most people drive to campus? I hear parking is pretty bad and its better to find a place near the metro rail....

Unfortunately I won't be at second look since that's during my spring break and I'll be off doing other equally fun stuff.
People from Houston... anyone know how I should search for a condo? I'm trying to find 1 BR/1 Bath for under 100k. Also... does anyone know if most people drive to campus? I hear parking is pretty bad and its better to find a place near the metro rail....

Hi weathertalk,

If you're interested, you can post your acceptance here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362763&page=2

Also, I bought a house in Houston (Pearland, actually) and I used a realtor. I'm not sure, but perhaps buying a condo is similar.

The Houston Area Realtors association has a web site, where you can view properties and connect with a realtor. I would go with a recommendation before I would pick a random realtor. PM me if you need more details about my experience (or just look earlier in this thread).

http://www.har.com/

Here is another link that may or may not help (this is a student guide for grad students @ BCM -- the med school might have something similar but I didn't see anything as comprehensive as this):

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/gsc/?PMID=5229

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, oncocap!

---

Side note: I was being facetious in my previous comments re: TX. The Lone Star state is great. More importantly... I don't want the 75% of the class that is in-state to jump me. ;)

Congrats to all those who have been accepted!

So... I've decided to rent first year since I don't know anything about houston and don't want to rush into buying a condo just yet.

I'm thinking of moving into lanesborough since it's next to the metrorail and I wouldn't have to deal with parking-- which apparently is a big problem. Does anyone have any information about that apartment complex? Another one I'm considering is The Maroneal.

Additionally, It seems like apartments around TMC have a lot of problems with property theft and particularly auto theft. I got this information from reviews on http://www.apartmentreviews.net/, though I doubt their reliability (It seems like some of the positive reviews are fake; other reviews seem too awful to be realistic and there is a selectivity bias that causes people with bad experiences to be more vocal than people who are satisfied) Additionally, it seems like a lot of the safety issues may have occurred while the houston was playing host to katrina victims, which wouldn't be a problem now (I'm guessing).

At any rate, I just wanted any input (pretty please) from people who live in houston or currently attend Baylor.

So... I've decided to rent first year since I don't know anything about houston and don't want to rush into buying a condo just yet.

I'm thinking of moving into lanesborough since it's next to the metrorail and I wouldn't have to deal with parking-- which apparently is a big problem. Does anyone have any information about that apartment complex? Another one I'm considering is The Maroneal.

Additionally, It seems like apartments around TMC have a lot of problems with property theft and particularly auto theft. I got this information from reviews on http://www.apartmentreviews.net/, though I doubt their reliability (It seems like some of the positive reviews are fake; other reviews seem too awful to be realistic and there is a selectivity bias that causes people with bad experiences to be more vocal than people who are satisfied) Additionally, it seems like a lot of the safety issues may have occurred while the houston was playing host to katrina victims, which wouldn't be a problem now (I'm guessing).

At any rate, I just wanted any input (pretty please) from people who live in houston or currently attend Baylor.

my experience is about 3 years old, but here goes...

the maroneal is really nice...i wanted to live there when i was in grad school....but the waitlist was too long....i'd call to confirm availability.

as for auto theft...yes....happened to both me and my friend when we lived @ the providence @ kirby. i just had to deal with a broken window. my friend had to deal with a broken window and a stolen stereo system. (this was back in 2004....pre-katrina....). what is frustrating is that it was a gated community....

my first year, i lived at a great appartment place....more expensive, though. it was called the carlton and is on west alabama near buffalo speedway & richman. it is near greenway plaza.

There will be plenty of "safety issues" to watch for in Houston, unfortunately. But hey, I've lived here 24/25 years of my life and my house has only been broken into once. And my father scared them off by walking in during the robbery.

Never had any car problems, but I'm very OCD about not leaving ANYTHING visible (bags, Ipod, stack of credit cards and blank checks).

Gotta be careful when you're walking around the hospitals at night also (seriously).

Additionally, it seems like a lot of the safety issues may have occurred while the houston was playing host to katrina victims, which wouldn't be a problem now (I'm guessing).

There are a lot of saftey issues in Houston including the TMC and surrounding areas but you are going to find that in any major city. Most of the Katrina people never left and probably never will. I have found that the best defense against crime is to act and look crazier than everyone else. It never hurts convulse a little bit as you walk to and from class. I also noticed that people tend to stay away from you on the bus if your scrubs are covered in other people's blood after a night in the Ben Taub shock room.

Thanks for the input. I betting the crappiness of my 10 year old maxima will fend off any would-be thieves.

It seems like I'm the only one asking questions... but since I'm completely shamless, here's another one:

Are tests at Baylor typically multiple choice, short answer, essay/free response, or a combination of all of the above? (I'm not partial to any style... just curious since all MC tests would probably explain their astronomical board scores)

This is why I'll be insuring my house with Smith & Wesson.

It is not your house that you have to worry about. It is the random crack head at the gas station that you accidentally look at the wrong way as you notice that his two small children in the back seat of his old school Caddy aren't wearing seat belts and his crack ***** baby's mamma is smoking a blunt in the passenger's seat. At which point he starts to approach you shouting "wha the f___ ye lookin at cracka." Hopefully you will be wearing your white coat and be quick enough on your feet to reply that you are a pediatrician and you just think that his kids are the cutiest in the world, promptly diffusing the situation.

It is not your house that you have to worry about. It is the random crack head at the gas station that you accidentally look at the wrong way as you notice that his two small children in the back seat of his old school Caddy aren't wearing seat belts and his crack ***** baby's mamma is smoking a blunt in the passenger's seat. At which point he starts to approach you shouting "wha the f___ ye lookin at cracka." Hopefully you will be wearing your white coat and be quick enough on your feet to reply that you are a pediatrician and you just think that his kids are the cutiest in the world, promptly diffusing the situation.

hahaha....this sounds familiar...are you sure you aren't talking about new orleans?

This is a good question. Also, what is their testing schedule?

So why don't you think Baylor refuses to go P/F on their curriculum? I swear if they were, the decision process would be a near no-brainer for where to go...

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear that a P/F system (like the one that was in place at BCM for the first semester until 3 years ago) made people lazier. After a bad year (the current interns had about 25 people fail the end of basic sciences exam=mini step 1) the administration decided that P/F had to go.

Tests:
I'd say that at the beginning there were more free response/essay questions--especially the tests that some professors give. Anatomy tests were all fill-in-the-blank, unfortunately...but that's probably better anyway. Once you get to 2nd year and beyond, pretty much all the tests are multiple choice.

The phenomenal board scores are explained by the schedule I think. The average on the end of basic sciences test is something like 210 or 200 here. Then a year later everyone takes step one and the average is 237. So clearly they learned something in the clinics, eh? Plus you can choose to take off as much time as you need to and you can take Step 1 whenever you feel comfortable.

What did you mean by "testing schedule?" Like, how often are there tests? Or that we have tests for 1 week at the end of a block, then a couple days off, then back to new classes?

Just bought my ticket for the second look weekend today (I had been watching the price steadily climb and couldn't wait anymore). I'm arriving into IAH at 3:50 on Thursday, and depart on Saturday morning at 9:30. Is anyone's flight times somewhat similar so we could maybe split a cab? Also, has everyone heard back yet on housing during the weekend? It will be fun to meet others. See you in a week!

I'll expand upon the schedule for the first few blocks:

You take Core Concepts(Biochem/other science stuff) for ~6 wks with a midterm in the middle. Then after the block is over you take 2d of tests, 1 big MC test over everything except anatomy and histology, then the next day or so you take those two tests, which were fill-in-the-blank types. This could change, of course.

Then you switch to the next set of subjects (Cardio/Resp/Renal) and study those for ~7 wks, with a midterm, then the same thing.

Then you take GIMNER and do the same drill. When you finish with those tests you take a big MC test (with an essay too) over the whole semester's material.

After that, each class in each block has its own finals--usually you'll have about 1 week or 2 weeks with tests every other day...something like that.

2nd year you'll take 2 blocks (each about 8wks) and a whole lotta tests...3 weeks of tests after Block 8, which includes that End of Basic Sciences one.

Are you serious? For some odd reason, the route I was looking at dropped 30 dollars yesterday, so I got it last night. It's nice that Continental has a hub in Houston.

Yeah, a NW/Continental flight I was looking at shot up 80 bucks from Friday, so I just got into an AA flight, but for $326 (grr $26 out of pocket). Milk, when does your flight get in/leave? Have you been contacted by a student host yet?

I get in late morning--much earlier than you unfortunately. And I leave later on Saturday. I haven't been contacted by a student host yet, leaving me a bit concerned...

That's why I was waiting to purchase my tickets, but just went for it before it got any later or prices went any higher. I've been sending poor Kathryn a barrage of e-mails (but she still hasn't gotten back to me), so hopefully something will work out for us. Has anyone attending the 2nd look been contacted. Maybe the M1s have an upcoming exam so are super busy right now...

Hey Guys - I got the call today. :D I love Baylor but I'm still trying to decide between Houston (w/scholarship) and Baylor.

Humble: When is 2nd look? I know it's by invitation only but if it's the same as UT-H I'll be there anyway and I could see if your flights are a time I could drop you off.

Hey Guys - I got the call today. :D I love Baylor but I'm still trying to decide between Houston (w/scholarship) and Baylor.

Humble: When is 2nd look? I know it's by invitation only but if it's the same as UT-H I'll be there anyway and I could see if your flights are a time I could drop you off.

Second look is next weekend. Congrats on your acceptance! We knew it would come.

Whohoo! Congratulations. Now if you still decide to go to UT-H you can brag about how you turned down Baylor to go there. :laugh:

In any case, I'm glad that BCM came through for you and now you have the "high class" problem of trying to decide where to go. Hopefully BCM will offer you a scholarship as well to tip the scales our way a little further.

Major congrats Ana!

I just called and checked my voicemail and got really excited because there was one new message, and no one ever calls my landline, but it was just Carter Bloodcare in need of my blood type.

Ana- you interviewed pretty early right?

Major congrats Ana!

I just called and checked my voicemail and got really excited because there was one new message, and no one ever calls my landline, but it was just Carter Bloodcare in need of my blood type.

Ana- you interviewed pretty early right?
In November... I wasn't expecting to hear back at this point.

Could some current students clarify what equipment (i.e. stethoscope) that we will need upon coming to Baylor? I know its a bit early, but I have this "educational account" from my job, and want to spend some of it:)

Thanks a bunch!

That's why I was waiting to purchase my tickets, but just went for it before it got any later or prices went any higher. I've been sending poor Kathryn a barrage of e-mails (but she still hasn't gotten back to me), so hopefully something will work out for us. Has anyone attending the 2nd look been contacted. Maybe the M1s have an upcoming exam so are super busy right now...

I'm sorry no one got back to you guys :( Were you at BCM today at 6:30? I was there, but I don't know who any of you are. I'll be at breakfast in the morning; hope to see some of you then

Anyone got the 2007 match list for Baylor? I couldn't find it with Google.

Nope, I looked on the BCM site as well. All I see is pictures and video of the 4th years and their families.

If you are interested in Baylor and fin aid is a deciding factor, call them and tell them you are being offered a scholarship at UTH. It can't hurt and I've seen it help.

If you are interested in Baylor and fin aid is a deciding factor, call them and tell them you are being offered a scholarship at UTH. It can't hurt and I've seen it help.
I was going to call next week... we'll see what happens :)

I've read "Condoland" a lot but I have no idea where that actually is. Is it off of Holly Hall?

I was going to call next week... we'll see what happens :)

I've read "Condoland" a lot but I have no idea where that actually is. Is it off of Holly Hall?

Hi Ana,

If you want a condo, you'll probably need a realtor, who will know exactly where "condoland" is ... just ask for a condo near TMC. You can find a realtor through various means, including referrals from someone you really know & trust (the best way), www.har.com and the "housing" section of the accepted student BCM site. :luck:

Hi Ana,

If you want a condo, you'll probably need a realtor, who will know exactly where "condoland" is ... just ask for a condo near TMC. You can find a realtor through various means, including referrals from someone you really know & trust (the best way), www.har.com and the "housing" section of the accepted student BCM site. :luck:
I'm debating with my family whether or not buying is a good idea at all since I don't know the area and don't have a down payment. I think I'm better off renting. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it :)

To TR or others: I was talking with a girl I know at Baylor about the curriculum and her only complaint is that the pharmacology portion isn't exactly the strongest. (In all honesty, I figure if that's her only complaint then it's probably a pretty good system). I was just curious what your experiences with pharm were.

Also, and I know this is random, by how diverse is the class in terms of majors and interests. I was a liberal arts major and while I love science I still have many interests that fall into the liberal arts field. Are there many people in the class like that? (I figure there will be but this was my main problem with SW).

And finally, do any of you have any personal experience with the HOMES clinic? It really really interests me but I didn't know how often people went or even if you have much time for it the first year and a half.

And finally, do any of you have any personal experience with the HOMES clinic? It really really interests me but I didn't know how often people went or even if you have much time for it the first year and a half.

I would like to know more about this as well....because my tour guide told me that it is no longer opperational due to lack of funding......

I've been reading through the old threads and found this great post about the clinics. Hope I'm not reposting something already posted in this thread but I found it interesting:
Overnight shifts/calls:
Medicine -- you won't stay overnight, but you might be there until 2 or 3am on night call depending on your upper-level resident, what kind of admits you get on night call, and how involved you want to be. Students aren't supposed to be called in after 11pm on night call, but that means you might get called in at 10:26pm with 1-2 patients waiting for you. If you're slow, you'll be there for a few hours. If your patient starts crashing and goes to the ICU, you should plan on staying.

Surgery -- Surgery is a 3-month rotation, 1-month of which is general surgery at either Ben Taub, St. Luke's, or the VA. Students take overnight call at Ben Taub and the VA, with a variable policy at St. Luke's (sort of voluntary) which might have changed since last year. Overnight call on surgery is approx. 30 hours -- just like the interns. However, you're pretty much going all the time so it's not too bad. You typically have 4 overnight calls during that month.
If you do the Emergency medicine 2-week selective during surgery, you'll do 12 hour shifts, 7a-7p, then 7p-7a.

OB/gyn -- OB call is a full 24 hour shift. However, most students have only been having 3-4 calls a month, and there seems to be a lot of time off built into the OB month. Pretty cush, especially compared to the old-school schedule.
During your gyn month, you take 2 calls in the gyn EC -- how late you stay is sort of dependent on the resident -- some let you leave by 10 or 11, some make you stay all night (that is rare).

Psych -- 2 calls during 2 months in the Psych EC. You stay overnight, unless you have a day call during the weekend.

Pedi -- no overnight call.

Neuro -- no overnight call.

Hours -- The only rotations I pushed 80 hours/week on were OB (the old schedule, not the new, cush one), and general surgery month. Otherwise, you tend to work 50-60 hours/week on most rotations. Baylor students are known to have pretty cush work hours and call schedules, for better or for worse. Additionally, the residents (esp. in surgery) will let you know this over and over again. The plus side is that you get more time to book study and more time out of school. The negative is that sometimes I feel like I will be a little less prepared clinically in some ways, compared to people I meet from other schools along the interview trail.

Scutwork -- pretty minimal at all the hospitals. Most residents seem really reluctant to scut the students, maybe remembering what it was like to be a student not that long ago. However, scutwork actually has a place. Essentially, work has to be done by someone at sometime -- either the attending, the resident or the student. If your residents have to chase down an x-ray or fill out miscellaneous forms, or make calls and be put on hold by the health department, that work shouldn't really be beneath any student. It needs to get done, and if you can help your residents get through their work faster, then it's a nice thing to do.

Good post, makes me want that call even more.

Can a student please post some zip codes for Condoland? This would be very helpful. Thanks.

Here is one of them: 77054 (for Montreal Place @ 2121 Hepburn St ... I stayed with a student host there). You can start here with Google maps and use "hybrid" to see the aerial maps where the condos are or www.har.com and go in various directions from there. Looks like there are condos along Old Spanish Trail, El Paseo, Cambridge, Knight, Fannin, Holly Hall, Almeda, etc.

I was an Economics/Managerial Studies/Asian Studies major in college, and I know about 5 other Econ majors just out of my closer friends in the class. I think there's quite a bit of non-science interest going on. Lots of musically talented people putting on concerts and such.

I went to HOMES once as a 1st year, it was pretty cool. The reason I didn't go more often was because I go to my own church at that time and it was hard to skip mine for theirs...but as a 1st year you'll definitely have tons of time to go. Plus it'll be a nice way to learn/practice your skillz before getting to hospital patients as a 2nd year.

And I will finish my Medicine rotation this Wednesday. The latest I've stayed on a night call was about 11pm....pretty cush if you ask me! I think they may have gone easier on us because it was our first rotation, however. Still, the residents have been really nice to the students as far as I know.

Also, and I know this is random, by how diverse is the class in terms of majors and interests. I was a liberal arts major and while I love science I still have many interests that fall into the liberal arts field. Are there many people in the class like that? (I figure there will be but this was my main problem with SW).

I'm an art history major and totally plan on pursuing this later. From what I know, Baylor is pretty diverse and you should be able to find people into what you like!

For those of you who can't get to Houston/do much looking around, I go to school in Waco and have already been down to look around at apts. I think I covered most of the more common places so if you need some info, let me know and I'll share what I can.

I noticed some interesting questions that I didn't think were responded to.....

DRESS CODE:

No. Most people wear t-shirts and jeans to class as MS1's and MS2's. The exceptions:
1. Sometimes there will be a patient or patients who come to class to speak about their condition or whatever. Then you dress up.
2. Some day each week you'll be going to "PPS" at a doctor's office in the afternoon, so people often go ahead and wear their white coat and stuff.
3. Gross anatomy lab requires scrubs--if you go to it, hehe.

EQUIPMENT:
1. Stethoscope: you will need it pretty early on. If you can find a good deal online or something (or you have an expense account), go ahead. I bought a Littmann Cardio III for ~$129 before med school. Most bought theirs at this special sale they had during MS1...
2. Other diagnostic stuff: If you really want, you can buy a standard set ($400), tuning forks, reflex hammer, penlight, etc. Or you can wait til you find out how you use everything so that you can decide what kind is best for you.
3. Scrubs might be a good investment. You should get 1 or 2 free pair(s) at orientation, but more may be better. You need them for anatomy lab, internal medicine rotation, etc. Surgery usually requires hospital-specific scrubs. Oh yeah, get some for picking up chicks at the bar. That was a joke. I've never done that.

Booh having to find our own housing Friday night for second look weekend. Anyone up for splitting a hotel room somwhere? I'm a male...

Thanks for the info generic :)

I have a really cheap stethoscope which I got as a birthday gift ($30 max) but it works! Will it be good enough until I get to the second half of 2nd year and I actually know what I'm looking for in a stethoscope?

Thanks for the info generic :)

I have a really cheap stethoscope which I got as a birthday gift ($30 max) but it works! Will it be good enough until I get to the second half of 2nd year and I actually know what I'm looking for in a stethoscope?

I recommend purchasing a decent stethoscope (ie - a Cardio Litmann III) sometime during first year. Its a very good investment, and not a whole lot of money (<$200). You will hear things that your friends with crappier stethoscopes can't hear.

I recommend purchasing a decent stethoscope (ie - a Cardio Litmann III) sometime during first year. Its a very good investment, and not a whole lot of money (<$200). You will hear things that your friends with crappier stethoscopes can't hear.

What do you think about the electronic ones like the 3M Littmann Electronic Stethoscope Model 3000? I have significant hearing loss which usually makes little or no difference in everyday situations (not so bad that I have to wear hearing aids yet), but I'm not sure how subtle the sounds are that we are supposed to be picking up and how much the electronic ones really help. Will we get to try out some different ones during 1st year or are we pretty much on our own when it comes to this?

steeles.com and allheart.com both have some good deals for stethoscopes if anyone is interested.

hey everyone, i finally registered to post on sdn! so im still waiting/hoping to hear from baylor, i interviewed in late november, does anyone know what the chances are? i called this morning they said my file is still active or whatever