Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of you have suggestions for helpful books that are NOT on the list? As in, any specific review books that everyone/many people use for a subject?

Thanks!

I think flashcards are a must for learning anatomy. I used Rohen's and Gray's.

I hated the review texts that everyone else loved, so I'm not the person to ask about those.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was just curious if BCM students have access to a gym with a weight room. I have had trouble finding much information on that. If so, how much does it cost for students? If not, what are some alternative gyms in the area that are affordable? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i was looking at the financial award email and they are charging more in "fees" than in tuition. do the fees happen to include health insurance?

if not, yall have any advice on student health insurance?

thanks

i was looking at the financial award email and they are charging more in "fees" than in tuition. do the fees happen to include health insurance?

if not, yall have any advice on student health insurance?

thanks

Breakdown of fees:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=6141

A blurb about health insurance is on that same page, below the table. Looks like, no, the fees do not include health insurance, and there has been quite a jump in cost since last year, particularly for married students.

Here is the BCM link to health insurance cost:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?PMID=7606

Hey, I was just curious if BCM students have access to a gym with a weight room. I have had trouble finding much information on that. If so, how much does it cost for students? If not, what are some alternative gyms in the area that are affordable? Thanks!

From this page: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=6141

Wellness Center

You will be eligible to join ($120 – student rate per year) the Baylor Wellness Center which includes: Regulation indoor basketball court (for general and intramural play)-converts into a volleyball court/three badminton courts for intramural play, racquetball court, weight room (extensive range of free weights and Prostar/Paramount fitness equipment), three (SCIFIT recumbent bikes, seven SCIFIT upright bikes, three Lifecycle upright bikes, two Woodway Wide Path treadmills, two SCIFIT ellipticals, two Stairmaster PT 4000s, one (1) Club Pro rowing machine and a ping-pong table. The facility also has a Group Fitness Training room (hard wood floor) with classes (evening and noon) offered seven times a week and men's/women's locker rooms with showers and private lockers (limited availability). Access is gained through secured entrances via keycard and Baylor ID badge.

I would seriously recommend reading all of the pages linked on http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/ ... they really are informative, they aren't kidding...

From this page: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=6141

Wellness Center

You will be eligible to join ($120 – student rate per year) the Baylor Wellness Center which includes: Regulation indoor basketball court (for general and intramural play)-converts into a volleyball court/three badminton courts for intramural play, racquetball court, weight room (extensive range of free weights and Prostar/Paramount fitness equipment), three (SCIFIT recumbent bikes, seven SCIFIT upright bikes, three Lifecycle upright bikes, two Woodway Wide Path treadmills, two SCIFIT ellipticals, two Stairmaster PT 4000s, one (1) Club Pro rowing machine and a ping-pong table. The facility also has a Group Fitness Training room (hard wood floor) with classes (evening and noon) offered seven times a week and men's/women's locker rooms with showers and private lockers (limited availability). Access is gained through secured entrances via keycard and Baylor ID badge.

I would seriously recommend reading all of the pages linked on http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/ ... they really are informative, they aren't kidding...
BCM students also have the ability to join the UTH gym, very nice and new: http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/recreat/index.html

Breakdown of fees:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=6141

A blurb about health insurance is on that same page, below the table. Looks like, no, the fees do not include health insurance, and there has been quite a jump in cost since last year, particularly for married students.

Here is the BCM link to health insurance cost:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?PMID=7606

thanks for the info.

i cant seem to find the link to the chickering group. has it been posted yet?

edit... just found it.

Methodist's contract with Cornell was for 30 years??

Yeah I think it is for 30 years but that affiliation Methodist signed is not exclusive, meaning that Methodist is free to obtain other affiliations if it wants to. I think Methodist can also buy out of that contract at any time.

That Chronicle article shows that at least the Methodist doctors are questioning the affiliation with Cornell, which (to be honest) is just silly. Have you guys ever heard of an affiliation of a hospital with a medical school so far away and that does not supply any physicians or residents? It kind of reminds me of a situation in which you are living in Houston and your new wife (who has already been married for a long long time to another man and sees him everyday) lives in New York. You pay that new wife millions of dollars a year (even though you never see her) just to say "yeah I am married to her."

I actually am an alum from Cornell's undergrad, and from what I know from the Cornell perspective is that Cornell only did this so they could suck big cash from Methodist and Methodist only did this out of desperation because they needed to be affiliated with a medical school for the US News Ranking of Best Hospitals. Cornell already has a big-time affiliation with NY Presbyterian, and I can guarantee you that no Cornell resident or physician is going to leave NY Presbyterian and go all the way to Methodist for any rounds or rotations.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it is for 30 years but that affiliation Methodist signed is not exclusive, meaning that Methodist is free to obtain other affiliations if it wants to. I think Methodist can also buy out of that contract at any time.

That Chronicle article shows that at least the Methodist doctors are questioning the affiliation with Cornell, which (to be honest) is just silly. Have you guys ever heard of an affiliation of a hospital with a medical school so far away and that does not supply any physicians or residents? It kind of reminds me of a situation in which you are living in Houston and your new wife (who has already been married for a long long time to another man and sees him everyday) lives in New York. You pay that new wife millions of dollars a year (even though you never see her) just to say "yeah I am married to her."

I actually am an alum from Cornell's undergrad, and from what I know from the Cornell perspective is that Cornell only did this so they could suck big cash from Methodist and Methodist only did this out of desperation because they needed to be affiliated with a medical school for the US News Ranking of Best Hospitals. Cornell already has a big-time affiliation with NY Presbyterian, and I can guarantee you that no Cornell resident or physician is going to leave NY Presbyterian and go all the way to Methodist for any rounds or rotations.

yah it was funny at cornell's second look when they were going over the affiliations... "we even have one alll the way down in houston." i knew about it before, but it was just so funny. i almost fell out of my chair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys should read these articles from the Houston Chronicle. They are from 2005, but they give a very detailed account of what happend between Baylor and Methodist. It seems that it was more complicated than people think and has a lot to do with the health care economics, private physicians vs. academic physicians, etc.
I think after reading this, going through with the Baylor Clinic and Hospital (which is what the Board of Trustees wants to do) may be the best thing because Methodist does not appear to be any ordinary teaching hospital. It seems to be more interested in the money of medicine rather than academics (a reason why 75% of its profits come from its private physicians and it has historically had problems with charity care).
Here are the articles:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3048042.html
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3049327.html
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3050647.html

thanks for posting that nv45. as awful as this sounds, my brain had been conditioned somewhat by my sister, who goes to UTHSC-H, to think that baylor was being overly self-important and that they were just "dropping" their hospitals left and right (didn't stop me from sending in my deposit though!). it's good to know what kind of control they were seeking here, and i don't think given the relationship that other medical schools have with their affiliate hospitals that it was really an unreasonable expectation that the primary teaching hospital of BCM reflect its values and priorities.

Good thing Ben Taub is where we'll do most of our learning. Clinicals at a county hospital is so much more fun than at a private hospital.

For those of you who also happened to miss it on OSA's website, you need to register for orientation. Though the form was due by 7/1, I was advised today to get it in ASAP.

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=5861

Hyperlinked at the bottom of the page.

thanks for the heads up.

anyone get the email about the book, "the seven habits of highly effective people"?

I have not taken the stafford subsidized loan yet. And saw that there was a 6.8% interest rate. I believe the 6.8% will not accrue until after graduation. But what about the 1% fee reported w/ some lenders? Is that an annual fee? Or is that a fee that is not assessed until after graduation?

I was just wondering, b/c on Discover Bank did not have that fee. However, all the other lenders had a 1% fee.

Just wondering if anyone knew?

Thanks, :)

I believe the fee is deducted from the amount of funds that is disbursed to you. So if you take out $100 in loans, you only get $99 in actuality. The 6.8% won't accrue until 6 months after graduation, that is not until the loan becomes payable. I took my loans from Discover as well as they were the only ones without the extra fee. Even if you have plenty of money in the bank, I would take the subsidized loans. Free interest is niceeee and plus you can always pay it all right back after your grace period ends.

I got an email yesterday saying that our assigned reading for BCM is... The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (by Covey). Am I the only person a little surprised by this? I mean, a self help book, really?

It seems like one of the habits of highly effective people would be that they don't read self help books. Granted, I have not read the book yet so I might change my opinion. But any thoughts anyone? In particular, has anyone read this and found it particularly enlightening?

I got an email yesterday saying that our assigned reading for BCM is... The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (by Covey). Am I the only person a little surprised by this? I mean, a self help book, really?

You can buy a newer version more relevant to the modern world from amazon. I must highly recommend it. :)

im about 2/3's finished w/ it. a lot of it is common sense on life. you may have a couple of the bullet points but no one is perfect. so i think its a good read.

the lesson they focus on cant be applied over night--theyre more long term character building lessons. the book has lots of good examples to reinforce his points. and its not hard to read.

if youve read it before, i think it would be a good idea to read it again. if youre reading it for the first time (like me), youll have a lot of "yeah that makes sense" moments.

i wonder if parts of our orientation will be based on the book? (workshops and seminars)

It may be a bit too early for this...but for those of you who are thinking about it, here is a Medical Specialty Aptitude Test given by the University of Virginia Medical School to its med students to help them pick a specialty. I think it is a pretty good test because it bases your personality with the personality of physicians in that specialty. There are 130 questions but don't be afraid of the number of questions because most of them take 1-2 seconds to answer; the whole test shouldn't take more than 15-20 min.
Here is the link, it'll ask you to enter an email address but they don't email you or anything:http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/TestStructure.cfm

^
havent heard of them but how much are they charging for a 1/1?

Are you taking the bus or driving? Google maps estimates it to be 28-30 mins (without traffic?) to UTH by public transport.

Are you taking the bus or driving? Google maps estimates it to be 28-30 mins (without traffic?) to UTH by public transport.
I'm planning on using public transportation. Looking for other places that are more conveniently located relative to the METROrail or UTH shuttle, though

if yall are looking outside of the medical center for housing, i'd also recommend looking at areas that are convenient to the METRO bus lines. The 8, 34, and 73 i believe all swing through the med center and have a stop at Dryden and Main, which is probably about a 10-15 minute walk from the campus. while i was working at the med center, i lived near a stop for one of those lines and it was pretty painless getting to work (unless it was raining...).

Yeah, the aptitude test does ask you some questions two or three times; I think the reason for that is because it wants to see how consistent your answers are

Oh snap! Orientation starts the day after tomorrow. Any one else excited by this?

Hey guys -

Congrats on getting into Baylor! I have a few books for sale from basic sciences that some of you may be interested in. Since this forum is not for selling stuff, please PM me for a list of books. Thanks!

Hey

I was just wondering if there were any kind of drug tests or screenings throughout your stay at BCM? Particularly in the first two years...

Thanks