Baylor DPT Observation Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Losgehts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am applying to the Baylor DPT program this fall however I am a little concerned about the observation hours pre-req. I do not live close to a military base and am worried that not having a military PT write a LOR will negatively affect my chances of getting into Baylor. If there is anyone else who is in/has been (as a previous applicant) in this situation, could you please tell me how to received your hours? Is it possible to get temporary housing on a base and observe for a few weeks?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I might not be the person to talk to you about this (since I did volunteer at a base), but I do have a few suggestions. You could stay with a friend or family member over the summer who lives within driving distance of a base. I don't think Baylor requires a lengthy observation stay; they just want to make sure that you know what you're getting into (e.g. that you know that techs are tasked with most actual rehabilitation duties). You could also volunteer at a local VA center (I think several people who have been accepted have gone this route). And if you have the time/money, you could alway drive several hours to your nearest base/fort/outpost/airfield and spend the day (I drove three hours each way). The military (Army) loves to see determination and dedication. Best of luck!

I second the VA idea. I don't live near a base either so it was the best option for me. The application seems a little more cumbersome than amy of the civilian clinics I was looking at. Be prepared to make several trips during the application process. They use the 2 step TB test which requires 3 visits plus anther visit for fingerprinting. It can take some time to go through all of the steps so get started as soon as possible.