Baylor (full tuition) vs. UTSW vs. McGovern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU22

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have the opportunity to graduate debt-free, take it. Your savings could be used to buy a house or invest. I hear what you are saying about finding your people in a small student body, but the experience of medical school is stressful enough that you'll find people no matter what.

It's not like Baylor is some backwater school. Take the scholarship and enjoy the doors that are opened for you just because you have no debts to pay off. Enjoy being at a P/F school with a solid reputation. This is a no-brainer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the opportunity to graduate debt-free, take it. Your savings could be used to buy a house or invest. I hear what you are saying about finding your people in a small student body, but the experience of medical school is stressful enough that you'll find people no matter what.

It's not like Baylor is some backwater school. Take the scholarship and enjoy the doors that are opened for you just because you have no debts to pay off. Enjoy being at a P/F school with a solid reputation. This is a no-brainer.
Baylor and don’t look back

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would echo others sentiments. If finances are a concern to you and your family, the reduced debt load is very significant. If you truly feel you would not be happy at Baylor, you can consider your other options and ask if they can better match the scholarship or eat the cost if you really can't be there. But I would have a hard time deciding that in this situation

I would echo others sentiments. If finances are a concern to you and your family, the reduced debt load is very significant. If you truly feel you would not be happy at Baylor, you can consider your other options and ask if they can better match the scholarship or eat the cost if you really can't be there. But I would have a hard time deciding that in this situation

Last edited:
Thank you. With how TMDSAS works, I’d have to prematch to be able to negotiate scholarships before Match Day. Or else I’d be gambling on getting a scholarship at McGovern/UTSW if I rank them above Baylor. With USF I do intend to inquire about matching scholarships. Living in Tampa for 4 years definitely sounds amazing!

I agree with above, choose BCM. You would be 100 % sacrificing the reputation/prestige factor if you chose to attend USF over UTSW or BCM so would ill advise against that even if USF matched scholarships unless you absolutely would be miserable and feel like you wouldn't succeed by being in TX.

@PeteytheFish @wysdoc @pierty @obiwan @purplepea

Thank you for the advice everyone. I've edited my post for anonymity but I have decided to rank Baylor #1. The scholarship is something I'm very grateful about, especially because finances are very important to me. Although I have my preferences for the campus, I ultimately believe that I will be successful and most importantly happy at either Temple or Houston.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users